IGNORED

Question about patch ot replace with different rear tire and plug kit warning

Willie

I picked up a screw today on the way to work and have a few questions. Part of the question has been covered, but not sure about the other. Z6 rear with about 3k on it. Patch or replace? Also, If I go with replace, is there anything wrong with running a Pilot Road rear and a Z6 front? That's covered, now my warning about my BMW plug kit. MAKE SURE YOUR PLUGS AREN'T DRY ROTTED!!! All my crap was brittle right out of the pack. Couldn't even get them onto the needle without them tearing. Had to leave my bike sit in a Home Depot parking lot after trying to use dry rotted plugs to fix the rear in a downpour before work. Luckily I wasn't too far away and was only 15 minutes late for work. $40 later (for new plug kit), tire is fixed and bike is back home. So, patch or replace? Terry

$40 later (for new plug kit), tire is fixed and bike is back home. So, patch or replace? Terry

Regarding the bmw plug kit, I don't know anyone that uses them, most preferring the sticky rope plugs commonly used on tubeless auto tires.

THIS LINK HERE

Then there is the Dynaplug repair tool/kit. I have no experience with this, but it has received good reviews.

THIS LINK HERE

Now, regarding repair or replace tire after a repair. That is a personal choice you must make. Many repair a rear tire and keep on riding until they wear the tire out or find the time to replace. Some replace as soon as possible. I am one of those that keeps riding if the tire injury is in my opinion, minor. I have never had a repaired tire fail. YMMV applies here as in most things.

Hope this helps...

Safe riding! thumbsup.gif

now my warning about my BMW plug kit. MAKE SURE YOUR PLUGS AREN'T DRY ROTTED!!!
I'll add another warning, replace the kit with one of those recommended in this topic. A recent experience - discovered a small nail in the rear tire one evening (squirrely handling at low speeds was the tip off). Pulled into a gas station and completed an emergency repair using the BMW kit. Everything went perfectly. I'm thinking to myself, what's all the hoop-di-doo about the BMW kit. Worked like a charm. Back on my way, no loss of pressure for a week. Under the strong advice of wiser men and women on this board, I pulled the tire to patch the hole. In doing so, discovered that the BMW plug was working it's way loose inside the tire. Have never seen that happen with rope plugs.

I threw out the BMW kit last night, replacing it with a Dynaplug kit.

Willie,

A different view...

Same story, picked up a screw, BWM kit dried up. Hiked to the nearest store, roadside convenience, bought the lil kit they had and plugged the hole.

10,000 miles later that plug was still trouble free.

Now, I'm either the best dam plugger on earth or the those lits work a WHOLE LOT BETTER than we give them credit for.

YMMV

thumbsup.gif

Archived