IGNORED

Which GPS do I go forward with?

Marc

My Garmin V took a dump after a friend went down on my RT. frown.gif I now need a replacement GPS and really am not certain I want to stick with Garmin. crazy.gif I had the 3+ then went to the V. I have all of my waypoints and routes on my computer but am not adverse to starting all over if there is a unit that is much better than garmin.

Here are some of my questions?

1. Can waypoints from garmin be loaded into another unit?

2. If Garmin is the way to go, which one?

3. I would like to have all detail maps loaded, so when I travel I do not have to bring a laptop to download specific areas each day. What a pain in the arse. dopeslap.gif

4. I am mounting this on an "S" bike and will rotate to an RT and a car. Which one is not too large and will meet the need?

5. Is the sound connection that great and necessary?

6. Is the XM Traffic worth it?

7. Do any of them have sirius instead of XM? thumbsup.gif

Thanks for any suggestions.

You didn't answer the big question though - How much money do you want to spend?

On almost all the GARMIN's now you can move way points between units via the PC software. Download from on, upload to the other. And they will all hold a lot of maps. So loading maps is an infrequent thing, if at all.

Personally I like the sound prompts. Others hate them. And it does take a fair amount of wiring to get it all hooked up. You need to have an intercom system in place, etc.

I will be upgrading from my old SPIII to a Zumo. The combination of XM + MP3 will substantially simplify my current setup. Another option is the 376C but tje Zumo package is so complete that it's hard to beat.

Regards

I upgraded from the Magellan I had, just a basic GPS with straight line waypoints, to the Garmin 2820. I might have considered the Zumo but, after looking at the two, I like the bigger display. Having the buttons on the left and the battery might be nice but I plan the trips on computer and if I need to change them on the road, it's not a problem.

I powered the Garmin directly off the battery because I wanted to control when it turned on and off. Therefore I can stop bike and still add some waypoints or make detours without having to have the key on. The current drain appears to be minimal while on.

I have used the XM radio and the traffic and weather options. The traffic is of moderate use. The weather is nice to have, it lets you look at "current" weather for where you are first and then you can look further out.

The XM radio works well.

You don't need an intercom to use the GPS. The turns are showed well in advance and there is a pop up function that at least changes the visual presentation. You might well notice the change and see the turn coming before you get there.

The other option is to use in the ear speakers/earbuds. I have done it that way and it works well. I have also used the system without any audio prompts. You just have to keep an eye on the distance to the next turn. I suppose if you are riding in heavy traffic with frequent turns, it might be a little harder to use.

It has proven to be well worth the investment in the short time I have used it. A very nice piece of equipment that you could “grow” into.

The only draw back is the screen could be a little brighter. But that’s the nature of the type of display being used.

I've been looking into getting the Garmin 60CSx lately. My usage requires a hand held, with the main focus of back country use. Since joining the Dept. of Fish and Game I'm in the wilderness areas alone, and rely on compass, topo maps and multi function altimeter, barameter, compass watch made by Highgear. The 60CSx has all the functions I need.

It appears the 60CSx will fit my requirements for both worlds, bike and back country use.

Any comments on the 60CSx?

I've been looking into getting the Garmin 60CSx lately. My usage requires a hand held, with the main focus of back country use. Since joining the Dept. of Fish and Game I'm in the wilderness areas alone, and rely on compass, topo maps and multi function altimeter, barameter, compass watch made by Highgear. The 60CSx has all the functions I need.

It appears the 60CSx will fit my requirements for both worlds, bike and back country use.

Any comments on the 60CSx?

I have one and like it a lot. I wrote about it in this thread.

After some extensive searching I recently purchased the 276C.

Comes with the marine mount which you can adapt to the bike as well as the external power / speaker cable to adapt to your intercom if you have it.

Portable - lithium battery. Swap to cage with an auto mount kit.

Expandable memory cards although must be garmin type.

Cheers

Archived