IGNORED

Chocolate Gear Oil?

smiller

Morning Bill

You are posting in a thread here that was started way back in 2006 so you need to keep in mind that some of what is posted here might have changed or some of the oil products now have differed content.

You really should start a new thread on your gear oil concerns.

But as long as you are here we might as well try to help you.

There is just no telling on how different gear oils will effect trans shifting or noise. Both the gear oils you are looking at are basically 75 weight when cold & nether should get hot enough in a motorcycle transmission to thin out to their upper number rating (oil never gets thicker as it heats up).

When it comes to BMW transmission gear oil choices about all you can do is keep trying different gear oils until you find the one that works for YOUR TRANSMISSION.

As long as the gear oil choice is within reason of the BMW specifications set forth in your riders manual you won't hurt it.

As far as shifting improvement goes you are just going to have to ride the choice you make for a while to see. What works good in mine might be the worst ever in yours.

Just keep trying until you find what shifts good in yours then stick with it.

Thanks for the input. I've owned several K-75's in the 80's and just got back to BMW's recently after my four HD's and other bikes. I remember several recall and warranty issues with the K-75's. At this point I need to just ride and enjoy my r1100r and quit worrying what "might" happen. I actually got addicted to this site and I think I need to back off and as said, just ride. Again, thanks for your input.

Bill,

What was the colour of the oil? Dark Brown but clearish? Chocolatey?

I would try the 75w140. I used it with good results in both my bikes, a 2000 R1100R and 2003 R1150RT.

I would run the 75w90 for a few hundred miles and then drain and check it again. Also, sending a sample of it to Blackstone Labs (or similar) for an analysis wouldn't be a bad idea and, perhaps, give you some peace of mind ;) .

Phil,

Thanks for reply. I have about 600 miles since gear oil change, will change to 75-140 this weekend. I'm near Palm Springs and it get's hot starting next month. When I drained oil last time it was not a chocolate color, looked like used motor oil. Will check again this weekend.

Bill

Afternoon Bill

That is the reason you really should start your own new thread.

You tacked your query onto a "Chocolate Gear Oil" thread so you get replies back based on that even though that wasn't in your question.

Archived