IGNORED

Is 50K miles too much...2002 1150GS...

ravencr

AdventurePoser

I'm not a mechanic, though I did stay in a Holiday Inn once...

I don't think mileage in and of itself should be crucial. My 02 RT has 88,000 miles on it and it runs better and better all the time. Fuel mileage is terrific, and no mech problems to speak of.

Good luck with your hunt!

Steve

Frankly, you might be better off with a Beemer with "Experience". Most problems arise and are addressed by 25k or so. The early failures tend to be quality control issues. Mine has about 40k........The ABS unit and the final drive both were replaced under warranty before 25k. The motor gets better by the mile.

That said, check its history......If it has one or more input shaft failures, run like hell......There can be an alignment issue that does not get addressed by the repair.

Good Luck!

Chris, the engine part should hold up a long time after 50,000 miles.. The weak places on that bike probably would have been the final drive bearings (good chance they have already been replaced by now).. Possibly the trans or trans input shaft bearing or seal.. Could be about time for a clutch if the original owners weren’t ultra careful with clutch usage..

As mentioned above, higher mileage in & of itself doesn’t spell doom for a BMW bike,, it's just your chance for problems does increase as the age & traveled mileage goes up..

Twisty

Frankly, you might be better off with a Beemer with "Experience". Most problems arise and are addressed by 25k or so. The early failures tend to be quality control issues. Mine has about 40k........The ABS unit and the final drive both were replaced under warranty before 25k. The motor gets better by the mile.

That said, check its history......If it has one or more input shaft failures, run like hell......There can be an alignment issue that does not get addressed by the repair.

Good Luck!

I agree, I'd be much less leary of buying a bike with high mileage and a good service record, v. a low mileage bike with history to be made. And, as stated above, any input shaft failures would be a major no-no, run and don't look back.

Archived