IGNORED

A day in the Lake District with Andy and Steve

Steve1962

Yesterday ‘s trip to the Lake district , taking in the Wrynose and Hardknott passes , was the most memorable bike ride I have ever undertaken .

I had originally planned to ride in the southern part of the Cotswolds , and as such rang Andy , with a view to asking him if he’d like to come along - we have done many ride outs together , and our pace and interests are alike , so it seemed a great idea ...but then I thought , why not see if we could make the most of a day’s riding , and travel up to the Lakes - I knew Andy would be interested , so put the idea to him at the start of the week .............. he agreed , and I spent all week really looking forward to the day .

The plan was to slab it up the Motorway , then peel off and head for the passes , with no further agenda than that ................ just see what happens when we get there .

With a brief stop at the village of Ing , and a quick stop at Windermere to look at St Mary’s church ..........

Thelakes1001Medium.jpg

Thelakes1003Medium.jpg

Thelakes1002Medium.jpg

Thelakes1006Medium.jpg

Thelakes1005Medium.jpg

Thelakes1009Medium.jpg

Thelakes1008Medium.jpg

Thelakes1007Medium.jpg

Thelakes1011Medium.jpg

Thelakes1010Medium.jpg

Thelakes1014Medium.jpg

Thelakes1012Medium.jpg

Thelakes1016Medium.jpg

Heading for Wrynose Pass ............

Thelakes1021Medium.jpg

Thelakes1024Medium.jpg

Thelakes1025Medium.jpg

Thelakes1023Medium.jpg

Thelakes1028Medium.jpg

Thelakes1027Medium.jpg

Thelakes1030Medium.jpg

Thelakes1029Medium.jpg

Thelakes1032Medium.jpg

Thelakes1031Medium.jpg

On the way over the Pass ............

Thelakes1033Medium.jpg

Thelakes1038Medium.jpg

Thelakes2032Medium.jpg

Thelakes1037Medium.jpg

Thelakes1035Medium.jpg

Thelakes1039Medium.jpg

Thelakes1041Medium.jpg

Thelakes1043Medium.jpg

Thelakes1046Medium.jpg

Thelakes1048Medium.jpg

At the bottom of the pass , we stopped to take in the views , before heading up and over the Hardknott Pass .......... what a ride this is .............. very tight bends , 1 in 3 gradient , almost all blind bends with little or no run off .NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED [ after riding it , I can’t believe I actually drove a Kia Sedona over this Pass on the day I got married - SWMBO cowered , covering her face with a book ............. !! ] .....

Thelakes1045Medium.jpg

Thelakes1050Medium.jpg

Thelakes1049Medium.jpg

Thelakes1052Medium.jpg

Thelakes1051Medium.jpg

Thelakes1055Medium.jpg

Thelakes1054Medium.jpg

Thelakes1053Medium.jpg

Thelakes1057Medium.jpg

Thelakes1056Medium.jpg

Thelakes1060Medium.jpg

Thelakes1064Medium.jpg

Thelakes1062Medium.jpg

The views are breathtaking ......................

Thelakes1068Medium.jpg

Thelakes1069Medium.jpg

Thelakes1071Medium.jpg

Thelakes1072Medium.jpg

Thelakes1074Medium.jpg

Thelakes1073Medium.jpg

Thelakes1076Medium.jpg

Thelakes1075Medium.jpg

Halfway down the other side is the remains of a Roman Fort , built in the 2nd century , we stopped here for some more photo opportunities ................

Thelakes1078Medium.jpg

Thelakes1077Medium.jpg

Thelakes1079Medium.jpg

Thelakes1086Medium.jpg

Thelakes1088Medium.jpg

Thelakes1090Medium.jpg

Thelakes1091Medium.jpg

Thelakes1093Medium.jpg

Thelakes1097Medium.jpg

Thelakes1099Medium.jpg

Thelakes1098Medium.jpg

including this gorgeous old car , wending it’s way over the Pass ................

Thelakes1080Medium.jpg

Thelakes1083Medium.jpg

Thelakes1101Medium.jpg

Thelakes1100Medium.jpg

Thelakes1102Medium.jpg

Thelakes1103Medium.jpg

Once at the bottom , we took a well earned rest at the local hostelry .and partook of some fine english country cooking , and a drink ....................

Thelakes2003Medium.jpg

Thelakes2005Medium.jpg

Thelakes2004Medium.jpg

Thelakes2006Medium.jpg

Another brief stop ..........

Thelakes2010Medium.jpg

Thelakes2008Medium.jpg

A brief look at a map , and we decided to do a loop through the valleys , returning to the Wrynose Pass via the Duddon Valley .................. this was spectacular , and my favourite part of the whole day .............

Thelakes2013Medium.jpg

Thelakes2012Medium.jpg

Thelakes2019Medium.jpg

Thelakes2017Medium.jpg

Thelakes2014Medium.jpg

Thelakes2020Medium.jpg

Having reached the Wrynose Pass junction with the Hardknott Pass , and with time getting on , we decided to head home .........which meant going back over the Wrynose Pass [ bloody result !! ] ............ we stopped at the top to check out the 3 Shires Stone ...................

Thelakes2025Medium.jpg

Thelakes2023Medium.jpg

Thelakes2027Medium.jpg

Thelakes2026Medium.jpg

Thelakes2022Medium.jpg

Thelakes2033Medium.jpg

and a few bikers rode past ...............................

Thelakes2029Medium.jpg

Thelakes2031Medium.jpg

Thelakes2030Medium.jpg

From here , it was back down the other side of the Pass , and retrace our steps , pausing for an ice cream and a drink by Lake Winderemere .................. these are the only photos we have of the lake , as we only saw this one in the whole day of riding .

Thelakes2035Medium.jpg

Thelakes2034Medium.jpg

Thelakes2036Medium.jpg

Thelakes2038Medium.jpg

Thelakes2037Medium.jpg

Thelakes2039Medium.jpg

Thelakes2040Medium.jpg

Thelakes2042Medium.jpg

Thelakes2041Medium.jpg

Andy,

Thanks for the company and a grand day out , not forgetting , the stupid Skoda driver , and the mad dogs who tried to bite us both as we rode past !!

491 miles in the days riding m much of it on the motorway .............. but what a grand day out !!

Steve

Francois_Dumas

I guess being bitten by a Skoda driver IS something special... grin.gifgrin.gif

The old car looks like a Bentley !

Great pictures Steve.... now THAT's an area I wouldn't mind riding around in :-)

Ideally,

The Skoda driver would have got bitten by the dogs !!

We were following the oaf back down the Wrynose Pass , and despite several opportunities to allow us to pass , he plodded along , not reading the road very well , and causing white van man [ coming the other way over a crest ] to stop and contemplate having to reverse back over the crest around a corner , even though Skoda man had just driven past an ideal place to pull over so the van could get past !!

When he did eventually realise that he would have to reverse to let the van through , he did so reluctantly , and then he just pulled out as Andy was about to go around him .............. we followed him for several miles .......... he was blissfully unaware [ or ignorant ] of our plight .

Steve

Steve,

Great pictures. I doff my hat to you and Andy, I know the Hardknott pass very well and it has to be seen to be believed. Taking an RT over there is certainly not for the amateur rider. (I have yet to brave it on my bike!)

Thanks ,

We had a good run at it , but not before we had waited for the Mercedes Smart Car club to go up and over first !!

Andy led the way , and we traversed it without stopping .it really is an unbelievable piece of road ,you just gotta 2nd gear it all the way , then use engine braking on the way down the other side .

Steve

Steve, that was truly a "Grand Day Out" and I enjoyed every non-motorway mile of it grin.gif

I took 112 photographs on the trip, some of which are almost as good as Steve's. Here are a few of them for your perusal.

Horses having fun:

lakes005.jpg

Steve in his usual pose

lakes009.jpg

Steve following me into Windermere

lakes011.jpg

More of St Mary's Windermere

lakes013.jpg

lakes016.jpg

lakes017.jpg

The vicar in his church, I regret I have forgotten his name. I asked him to look as holy as possible grin.gif I could have done with a more powerful flash.

lakes022.jpg

The main road:

lakes025.jpg

A leafy lane;

lakes027.jpg

Steve photographing me, photographing him.

lakes030.jpg

Cockley Beck Bridge:

lakes045.jpg

lakes044.jpg

lakes050.jpg

The Smart Car club:

lakes059.jpg

Yes Francois, a Bentley

lakes066.jpg

There were a few around, the Bentley club was having a rally in Ambleside.

Some people can't resist a challenge!

lakes068.jpg

The Fort:

lakes082.jpg

lakes084.jpg

lakes079.jpg

Steve, inspecting the 1900 year old stonework:

lakes087.jpg

We happened across a village dog show:

lakes088.jpg

lakes089.jpg

lakes090.jpg

More views:

lakes096.jpg

Steve at work with the camera:

lakes098.jpg

lakes100.jpg

Lake Windemere at Ambleside. This incidently, is the view from the Youth Hostel.

lakes113.jpg

Hardnott was an enjoyable technical challenge on a bike but the real reward was the countryside it is set in. The less-technical roads in the area, set against that stunning backdrop were far more enjoyable. It was a long boring trip up the motorway but the end results were more than ample reward, made all the more enjoyable by sharing it with Steve and via this forum, you.

Cya,

Andy thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the ride report Andy and Steve, you pictures do the place justice.

I have driven, ridden, mountainbiked, hiked and water-skied in the Lake District for years and I never, ever get fed up of going there. The scenery changes every corner you go around. It's a bit of a hike from where you two live, but it was worth the effort it took to get there.

Stu

Andy and Steve, Your photos are exceptional. This is a truly beautiful area. I was in The Lake District in the early 70's and have always wanted to go back, these photos are giving me renewed incentive.

Thanks, Bill

Wheels Rollin'

On a rainy, overcast day here in Central Iowa, Steve, your photos were truly a breath of enlightenment... Thanks so much for sharing them with us -- and what a flair you have with your camera << smile >>...

-- Bill

Andy,

I didn't mean to steal your thunder by posting so many photos !!

Just remembered that little detour we took down the single track lane that led to :

A road that was not suitable for any traffic smile.gifsmile.gif

Undaunted by this , we chose the other fork , and ended up staring at a wooden gated barring our way [ no wonder that bloke we passed gave us a funny look ] , so had to do a very nifty three point turn in a tight space , on an uneven surface ooo.gifooo.gifooo.gif

Thanks once again for a memorable day out ,

Steve

I rode those passes last year. It was quite a ride and your pictures bring back great memories. I finished up by riding to Wast Water which is fantastic, only problem was I was quite tired after the ride and dropped the bike in an uneven layby blush.gif

Paul,

If it wasn't for Andy , I probably would have dropped my bike too .......... on the way down the Hardknott Pass when we parked up , so I know what you mean .

I plan to revisit , and explore some more of the smaller roads .

Steve

Steve, Andy, what a great day you both had, you certainly got the weather for it, and thanks again for the awesome pictures.

Steve, how are the shares in photobucket coming along!!! lmao.gif

Take care lads, it is killing us awaiting the 21st, when we are off for the ride down to Turkey thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

George ,

Photobucket never had it so good !! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Have a great time on your trip to Turkey , and get some photos taken !!

The mobile will be on if you need anything .

Steve

Excellent pics thumbsup.gif

We traveled there few weeks ago, but without camera, and appear to have missed some of the best parts. Will have to go back.

I can see i'll have to put a little more effort into my pics of this weekends trip to Skye! grin.gif

George, enjoy your trip to turkey, sounds fantastic.

Awesome pictures. I can't tell you two how envious I am that you can tour in such a beautiful country. This just gives me more drive to eventually relocate back 'home' grin.gif

Archived