IGNORED

ABS Sensor wire routing, problem?

fla_rider

After having my 600 miles service and the ABS recalls addressed I subsequently had a problem. On 2 occasions the ABS failure light came on for no clear reason <no touching brake lever>. Dealer was not able to find problem then it just"fixed itself". Another time just cycling the ignition off/on/off 5-6 times caused it to clear itself. I now noticed that the point of one of the recalls was to reroute the sensor wire to avoid it from abraiding and grounding out against the caliper causing :"the ABS failure light to come on". Could you please check your sensor wire and see if it is held to the banjo bolt with a ziptie, this looks cheezy to me. I appears to me the zipped up against the banjo is exactly the wrong thing and will cause the wires inside to abraid and short. Thoughts? Please check yours and let me know if this is right?

I was under the impression (possibly incorrectly) that the recall was to re-route the wire to move it away from the rotor, not the caliper. When I first heard of the recall I checked mine and indeed the abs wire routed down the left fork tube was quite close to the rotor and appeared to have even rubbed. I moved the wire away and the dealer zip tied it at the 6k service as part of the recall. Maybe you should check the wire by the rotor to make sure there's no bare spots rubbed through the insulation. I'd guess that a brief touch to the rotor would trigger a fault indication.

thank you, you are correct. I spoke with the mechanic at the dealer today. It appears, hopefully the fault was caused by low brake fluid in the rear circuit, < new bike> keeping my fingers crossed.

Archived