IGNORED

Going Over to the Dark Side

oreana123

I am going to sell my 98 R1100R after a year of commuting about 30 miles/day to work. I have learned to really enjoy this motorcycle, it has never stranded me and has averaged about 42 MPG, despite my heavy handling of the throttle.

What motorcycle could seduce me? I have found a low mileage 2003 Aprilia Tuono that has a bunch of aftermarket goodies. Although I like the style of the BMW, I can see the beauty of the Italian twin. Since I like to carve the twistys and I live in Idaho where there are great roads and relatively few LEOs, I decide to get the Tuono.

I learned a style of riding here that will work well with the advanced handling of the Aprilia, but I will have the power to pull out of the turns that I wish I had with the BMW. Lots of brutal power thumbsup.gif

So I'd like to thank all of you who helped me change tires, bleed brakes & etc, and basically maintain my BMW better than I could expect another mechanic to do.

Thanks to you all, and I will own another BMW in the future (probably a GS!) Gratefully,

John S Boise

Good for you, John. I've really grown to love the Tuono. The Mille powerplant and frame--wow. It really is a race bike for old men. smile.gif

There's great info over here:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums

And AF1, the folks who run that DB, is a good source for parts/supplies.

3.jpg

aerial1.jpg

wide.jpg

Several of us (at least three that I know of) have Tuonos, so don't be a stranger if you need some help.

Where are the pictures so we can see your new bike? smile.gif

Struggled with the pic. Never put a picture here and I wish the software would just resize it. Oh well, it is a charcoal color fading into gold. The frame is gold. Body screens are gold.

This summer, I raced some relatives in the mountains here in Idaho, for about 100 miles. I spanked them on their bikes in the curves with my little old R1100R. They will be back next year, with who knows what kind of skills and motorcycles, so I am really upping the ante. These guys are in their 20's and I know it kills them that I stay out front. I am 55 so I guess this is the bike for me wink.gif. I'll check back here when I get the bike cleaned up after Saturday's cross country. I am in Boise, and the bike is near the Dalles, Oregon. I'll have 4 hours to check the bike out and either master it or have it master me on the ride back to Idaho.

Due to the haste of the seller, who is relocating to Alaska, the price of the Tuono is $7500. The centerstand stays in the garage (Bulldog brand). I can't find a BMW at that price that will do what this one will....It's kind of like the concept that a Ferrari might not have air conditioning. Right tool for the right job. smile.gif

Seriously, I thought a long time about buying this bike. Sure, I'll miss the heated grips, and the more complete fairing, even though my current BMW is a naked bike too. Maybe I'll regret it...I can always come back, right? cool.gif

I just returned from a 350 mile test ride. I rode from the Dalles, Oregon to Boise, Idaho where I reside.

All the info about the rotax engine is true, the engine keeps pulling right on up to the redline, somewhere around 10,500 RPMs. Mine is chipped with an aftermarket exhaust, and I noticed kind of a flat spot around 7k RPMs, which I dealt with by shifting to different gears. Wow, what a powerful engine. I launched the front end a couple of times, and pulled strongly to triple digit speeds whenever I wanted.

I have to learn a different handling technique, of course. The amount of weight shift to get my R1100R to go into a turn is way too much for the Tuono. Also, some of the controls are on the opposite hand. Somehow, it seems that I sit inside the BMW, but I am definitely sitting on top of the Tuono.

The bike has a new set of Venom tires, and they seem positive in the turns.

Then there is the sound. When I started the engine, it was inside a garage, and it sounded like an explosion. I really like the sound of the idle as well.

I missed my throttle lock and the BMW windshield that I have on my other bike. I noticed right away the wind on my sleeves, because the Tuono does not have hand guards.

Fuel milage with all of the hard accellerations was still in the 40's, because of the very tall gearing. I cruised at about 4500 RPM at a little over 70 MPH most of the way.

I'd say this one is a keeper. John S Boise

Archived