IGNORED

Gas Tank Capacity on R1200RT

h2000fb

Why is it some places say the R1200RT has a 7 gallon tank and others say it is a 5 gallon tank? I have an "05" and have had it down to 5 miles to empty and am convinced mine has a 5 gallon tank. Believe my manual says it is a 5.5 gal or something like that. Somewhere along the line, did they change it or something? confused.gif

M owner's manual states the fuel capacity of the R1200RT is 27 litres. Which equals 7.13 US gallons or 5.9 imperial gallons.

Perhaps the 5.5 gallons you are seeing refers to the imperial measure?

The R1200RT has a 7.1 gallon tank. No doubt about it. I have run my R12 down to 0 miles on the odometer and when I filled the tank it took 6.3 gallons which means it had .8 of a gallon still in the tank.

The common thought ... and one to which I also subscribe ... is that the miles to empty readout actually means ... Miles you have left till the reserve petrol kicks in

It does make sense ... and means you are very unlikely (or very supid) to actully run out of fuel .... and isn't that the whole idea of the "distance to empty" readout?

It's at least 7.5 gallons. I've done that several times. Running around 380 miles, a good 40 miles beyond the 0 miles to empty display. I suspect the actual capacity is 7.1 gals PLUS a 1 gallon reserve. BTW, mines an 05.

I haven't run mine down to 0 miles to go, but several times with less than 10 miles to go and have never put in more than 4.5 gallons. I know there's gas in the tank and have talked to 2 dealerships (where I bought it and the local dealer to me are not the same) and neither has been at all interested in fixing the problem. The first dealer said it was normal and the second is waiting on BMW to say there is an official problem before they do anything. I asked if there was a way to calibrate the sensor and the second dealership told me it was a float that gets stuck on the side of the tank and doesn't register right.

I think I need to learn how to wrench quickly because I am quickly losing confidence in the dealerships I have available to me.

Two things to consider here, first, I've ridden way beyond the "----" reading and when filling the tank read 7.1 gallons on the filling station pump. Secondly, have you taken the "thingy" out of your gas tank? it's a rubber bushing that can be easily removed by sticking your finger down the filler hole, bending your finger a tad, then withdrawing the finger & the thingy. This will allow you to put more fuel in your tank. The book for my 05 said the tank holds 7.1 gallons & it does. I get about 380 miles per tank on a road trip style ride.

... I asked if there was a way to calibrate the sensor and the second dealership told me it was a float that gets stuck on the side of the tank and doesn't register right...

I wonder if they dumb down their explanations to 'your level' or if they're just dumb? On the R1200RT there isn't a float, there is a sensor strip in the tank.

Part #9 in this diagram...

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/Diagrams/B0004831.png

And yes it can be calibrated. You run the tank down to where you want empty to be then the shop can use the diagnostic computer to reset the 'empty' level.

You sound like me. When it gets close to empty, I only get about 4.5 - 5 gallons in when filling up. And you are correct! Mine book does say 7 gallons.

You sound like me. When it gets close to empty, I only get about 4.5 - 5 gallons in when filling up. And you are correct! Mine book does say 7 gallons.

Same here with my '06. On my bike, when it reports about 80 miles left, it'll suddenly drop to the 30s and then start to drop until 0. When I fill up, I only fill up about 5 gallons. The dealer will be looking at this on my next visit.

Wes Hsu

A dealer told me there is a reserve setting selection in the computer that could be set for a one gallon reserve or a two gallon reserve. Supposedly there was some debate among the Barvarians as to which was best, so '05s got shipped with both settings.

I was told this setting could be changed at the dealership. I was also told a sharp service tech could customize the reserve level if an owner wanted something other than the standard options. The customization involves filling (or emptying) a tank to a desired level and then zeroing the level indicator.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of this information, because I don't know anyone who's actually had this done.

After hearing everyone's feedback, I took mine to the dealer today and they could not reset it. Said there was an error problem when trying to download. HOWEVER, I have absolutely NO CONFIDENCE in the mechanic working it. He has told me several things about the bike that is dead wrong. For instance, when REMOVING THE ENTIRE SKIN & TANK, he noticed I had connected my Garmin 2720 to the Power outlet on the fairing then proceded to tell me you can't do that, it will hurt the computer. When I asked him what good is a power outlet if you can't use it, I was told it wasn't much good! Bare in mind, I just ran the +/- to the back of the power outlet and tied into the cables. Now I am not certain I even want to take it back to them. Everyone tells me the gas tank recalibration should be easy but it appears this dealer can't do it. First he blames it on his computer, then my Garmin, and now they don't know - must call BMW? I just don't know. Does anyone know the skinny on recalibration?

According to my BMW Master tech, they have to: 1) empty the gas tank; 2) put a measured amount of gas back into the tank (that measured amount will become the "reserve"); and 3) hook the BMW diagnostic computer up to the bike to "tell" it that reserve is reached when the tank is down to that level/quantity of fuel. Seems pretty straightforward, but then I've never had it done. My reserve countdown starts early, like most do from the factory.

Archived