IGNORED

Riding without a horn...

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Really, try not using your horn...at all...ever. I found that after my air compressor fell off in Montrose, CO riding home from the Un, I haven't put it back on again. I never used the horn much anyway, but have found myself as more alert and relaxed too. I never much thought about the horn being a crutch, but maybe it was?

I remember that my motions were that simultaneously I'd brake, roll-off the throttle, avoid the hazard and if the hazard was an idiot cage, lay on the horn. I'd get my blood pressure up a bit to wake them up again - or so I thought. Sometimes I'd yell at the driver from behind my helmet.

I doubt it did anything other than annoy the driver. Now I scan further ahead, am a little less aggressive but still am a little faster than traffic, same as before. I dunno, it certainly seems like I am more relaxed.

How much do you use the horn?

Since I bought my ST in July (5,500 miles later), I've used the horn a grand total of twice - both were just tests just to see what it sounds like and just to sort of "remember" where it is.

It does seem if I can't actually hear the horn at speed (with earplugs/helmet), there's no way that a driver will hear it, so why bother? I think I'd have to "upgrade" before I'd feel like it would even be worthwhile to use the horn.

I'm probably not an "average rider" in that regard though. (Of course, maybe I am...)

I use it involuntarily and rarely. I have two light switches on that handle and when searching w/o looking I press the horn sometimes. Its sought of embarassing.

That said, I am tempted to get those loud horns for that once in a while some a**hole pulls in front.

I never rely on a horn, but use it in my daily commute to wake up inattentive cagers who are zombie drone driving, or the cell phone yapper who is more engaged in the conversation than the commute. It is always this classic scenario that I find a loud horn useful. As you are passing through a vehicles blind spot and notice the vehicle begin to drift to the edge of their lane toward you, then you may see a half hearted look into their side and rear view mirrors, but no swivel of their head....You know they’re soon coming to squeeze you out of your lane. A good toot on a substantial horn will usually snap them to attention. I say usually, because earlier this year after a toot some FAUB looked right at me and still was going to attempt to occupy the location I was in. Since the horn is only an addition tool in my overall commuting strategy of having escape routes planned and executed when needed. I was out of there before she could squish me.

To sum up. I try to develop contigencies for the bad stuff that might happen as I ride. IMOHO, be sure to be executing your escape maneuver before going for the horn. The horn is only a suplimental tool to your overall driving plan. I also recognize there can be situations where you are too busy executing an escape than worry about going for the horn. Save yor bacon first, so you can come here and share the event, deconstruct it, and take whatever to be learned or done better about the event. Loud pipes, horns, or for you Ducati riders loud clutches wink.gif , in them selves do nothing to remove you from a situation developing into a bad outcome. Only timely actions can change that dynamic.

I don't use it, but I have given a few people a viscious left turn signal!! lmao.gif

Yeah, usually I just give a quick left turn to my neighbor as I'm passing.

ShovelStrokeEd

What's a horn? How do you activate it? Am I supposed to have one? How does it work? I always knock vigorously on my windscreen to warn miscreants but it doesn't seem to work very well, maybe there is something to this thing. I considered a bell but a claxon sounds like a better idea. One day, I'll have to get one.

..but I have given a few people a viscious left turn signal!!

Ditto. I figure that after all this time I'd be used to the left switch arrangement, but age seems to have skewed the learning curve somewhat.... grin.gif

I don't use it, but I have given a few people a viscious left turn signal!! lmao.gif

Good to know I'm not the only one. dopeslap.gif

A few years back Harley decided that the horn was more important than the high beam. They switched the position of each, making the horn the "easiest" to operate being closer to your left thumb.

After purchasing one of these new models, I dont know how many times, I blasted that horn to obatain a better view of the road at night.

After observing a bunch of those "HOG's" this weekend at one of their rallys, I can see why HD made the decision to make the horn easier to operate. They need all the help they can get.

Now before anyones accuses me of Harley bashing.......my eyes convinced me a good portion of those riders had no business on a machine they were not capable of controlling. Anyone can barrel down the highway, if you can not manuver at slow speed, without tippy toeing along, your going to need that horn.

I guess Harley knew what they were doing.

I never rely on a horn, but use it in my daily commute to wake up inattentive cagers who are zombie drone driving, or the cell phone yapper who is more engaged in the conversation than the commute. It is always this classic scenario that I find a loud horn useful. As you are passing through a vehicles blind spot and notice the vehicle begin to drift to the edge of their lane toward you, then you may see a half hearted look into their side and rear view mirrors, but no swivel of their head....You know they’re soon coming to squeeze you out of your lane. A good toot on a substantial horn will usually snap them to attention.
Me too. I have the double horn (LOUD) on my RT and so far it's never failed to immediately startle the driver into getting back in their lane.

I don't use mine much, except when the dang tank bag mashes the strangely placed BMW horn button at full steering lock.... arrggghhh.....

But, I do use it sometimes. I'm riding along defensively, and multiple things are going on; turning movements around me, car waiting to pull out of drive way, etc. and even though I've got my head on the swivel, and the brakes covered, and am proceeding in a way that David Hough approve . . . I still get this tingly sensation at the back of my neck because I'm not sure the bozo pulling out sees me in spite of my "high conspicuity" posture and equipment... well, I'll lay on the horn, just because. Happens a few times a year, probably, but is in my arsenal of defensive driving -- learning to trust the hairs on the back of my neck, that is.

Sometimes I irritate people unnecessarily, sometimes I wake up the the driver from some deep and meaningful conversation on a cell phone to realize the world doesn't end at the tip of his/her nose.

I rarely use my horn, but would not want to be without it. Once it quickly and efficiently got the attention of a distracted driver who was crossing over into my lane on the interstate. I am in the habit of thumbing it when I am in traffic so I will be ready if the need arises. Of course, evasive maneuvers should simultaneously be initiated in case the horn doesn't get noticed quickly enough.

I have heard the argument that you can't predict how people are going to react to a horn, but in most cases you can. Generally the driver slows or stops their new traffic manuever (turning, backing up, lane changing, etc), will get ready to slow down, and become temporarily more attentive (all good things).

I think most motorcycle safety experts would agree that a well-timed blast of a good horn (like the one on my RT) can be an effective strategy in preventing some crashes. And yes, short blips on the horn are useful as a hello or goodbye gesture too. wave.gif

Jay

I find it surprising how I adjust my choice of horn usage, depending on vehicle.

Both my GS and my pickup have air horns in addition to stock horns. They are obnoxious, or worse.

Due to a wiring boboo of mine, yeah I know I should know better, the VFR hown is no longer any better than a low buzz. Since it will take a near complete 20K service teardown to get to it, it will wait a few more K miles to get repaired.

It's amazing how I automatically adapt between the different rides, between knowing that the horn is way too loud, to knowing that the horn is worthless. I just automatically adapt.

Nice loud horns are nice to have, but you can live without a horn at all if you know you don't have one.

I thought of this post yesterday as I gave one of those mean left turn signals to a Suburban that didn't see me in a round-about (and had I not anticipated it, it would have had a new hood ornament.)

Maybe I should use my horn more - just to practice.

How much do you use the horn?

Not much before, and even less now:

The GD thing shuts off if I use it for more than a second or two, even in short bursts!!!

I'm so glad those engineers know more about when the horn circuit is failing than I ever need to know dopeslap.gif

Actually, I usually use it in conjunction with evasive manuvers, but mainly to tell them they are $##@$$%^%$ during or after an event. I have to admit the extra horn on the RT was good for avoiding a few "almosts."

Archived