IGNORED

cylinders as leg protection.

Missouri Bob

Missouri Bob

A buddy was riding through a Y-shaped intersection, with right-of-way, when a car failed to yield and struck him from the left side. Evidently, the BMW's left cylinder took most of the impact because my friend broke nothing more than a toe. Yes, he is badly bruised and has some serious lacerations (bad enough to remain in a wheel chair more than one week later), but he still has his left leg.

Be careful out there.

Bob

Ditto, I thank the right cylinder of a /3, plus the crash bar for saving my right leg in a parking lot crash 35 years ago. The car hit my front fork, and my RH crash bar and engine head hit the left fender and spun the bike 180 degrees. I had only minor scratches but the bike was totaled.

BTDT - Thank the Lord for the Boxer motor thumbsup.gif!

Earlier this year, I went "off road" on a corner and hit a rock face frown.gif

If I didn't have that RH cylinder in front of my leg and between the rock and my leg, I would have mangled my leg severely or even lost it! At the time, I was up in the hills with no cell service with the nearest town 20 plus miles away!

BTDT - Thank the Lord for the Boxer motor thumbsup.gif!

That's why i got the gs w/ protection bars. also why i got the rt-p. not only leg protection, but no fairing scuff when you drop the bike slipping on diesel in a gas station or on paint stripe in the rain.

now i'm thinking of a new rt, gt or, shudder, an st1300. wunderlich has protection bars for the rt, and the pro bars for the st are built in. the gt is the performance choice, but if you go down, you've got nothing, not even a frame slider. and if you just drop it, again, no frame slider. bmw put a diminuitive frame slider on the naked 1200 with no fairing to protect. makes you wonder why they didn't put one on the gt.

what do the flying brick guys say?

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

as a fairly new rider of BMWs and a "flying brick" at that.. all I can say is "good luck". I dropped mine off the center stand once and damaged the fairing blush.gif as well as knocking the turn indicator off frown.gif. No protection available so far as I know. confused.gif I can only hope that I never go down at speed. bncry.gif I do have more than a million miles on bikes and haven't been down since my first year.. but then I don't push anywhere near as hard as I have seen some others do. dopeslap.gif YMMV

1. Hit and run over 100 mph by truck. Engine protection bars kept legs & cylinders intact. thumbsup.gif

2. After just installing the extra large touring lids my GT was knocked over, by an R 1100S that was being pushed by a minivan. dopeslap.gif

Damage was a broken saddlebag mount and a bent rear brake pedal.

Minor scuffs to bag lid and r side Motolight.

The extra width saved my fairing turn signals etc...

I keep them on all the time now.

Pros are extra room and some tipover protection.

Cons are a wide backside blush.gif and it takes a bit more time tongue.gif to get above 140 GPS w/extra drag.

2. After just installing the extra large touring lids my GT was knocked over, by an R 1100S that was being pushed by a minivan. dopeslap.gif

Damage was a broken saddlebag mount and a bent rear brake pedal.

Did the bags stay locked on?

Where the bags on during the 100MPH truck crash?

-Eff

They may protect you in the right kind of accident.....but me....they just bruise my legs below the knee everytime I have to put my feet down...not really them the topperware around them.... dopeslap.gif

Whip

Eff,

Was riding an R 50 when the truck hit me.

No bags but did have engine protection bars.

I was turning right and the bike went down on the right side.

I was run over then spit up and out by the truck.

He was drunk, 10 a.m. frown.gif

Still drunk when they caught him later that day.

Archived