IGNORED

Tank Cover Screws

MichiganBob

Hi Folks:

Anyone have an idea why the two plated screws closest to the seat on the gas tank cover will not tighten all the way? The other two pairs in the center and toward the handlebars seat fine. I looked it up and they are all spec'd at the same length so it is not like I have a long one where there should be a short one. This is a 02RT.

Ride safe,

Bob

Lincoln_Faller

Dear Bob,

Could be crud or gunk in the threads down towards the bottom of the screw hole. First time this happened had the dealer clean it out with a tap. Forget what it cost, but it was enough to get me to buy a cheap metric tap and die set from Harbor Freight the next time it happened. Some light machine oil for lubrication and careful use of the right size tool allowed the screw to fully seat once more.

Given our geographic location, this could be a problem specific to Michigan. What do you say, Mitch?

all best

Bob, there are threaded slugs moulded into the fuel tank that those screws thread into.. Are your screws just getting tight in the slugs or are they just getting tight enough to spin the threaded slug in the tank top as you tighten..

The plastic tank cover holes as a rule doesn't line up real good so make it real easy to cross thread those screws as you try to start them..

In any case, as Lincoln said you will probably need to run a tap into those pesky threads.. (5mm bottoming tap)

Where are you located at in S/W michigan.. I'm in the milford area & have a proper tap here, you could use that if needed.. (give me a PM if you need it)

Twisty

Joe Frickin' Friday
Hi Folks:

Anyone have an idea why the two plated screws closest to the seat on the gas tank cover will not tighten all the way? The other two pairs in the center and toward the handlebars seat fine. I looked it up and they are all spec'd at the same length so it is not like I have a long one where there should be a short one. This is a 02RT.

Ride safe,

Bob

I've had the same problem before. very easy to cross-thread these, and since nothing is purely vertical or horizontal in that area, it's hard to tell by eye when you've got the screw at exactly the right angle to screw into the fitting properly - and once the threads have been mangled, it's hard to tell by feel, too.

Lincoln's got the answer: re-tap the hole, using a bottoming tap, and make sure you don't punch through into the tank. I'd suggest doing the re-tap job with the tupperware off so you get best visual access, and blow the hole out with compressed air when done to make sure no chips or gunk remain.

If you get the tap (or if someone else brings it), we can do this at the Tech Daze next month.

Thanks all. I have the tap and will bring to the tech daze and do it there in case others want to observe.

Ride safe,

Bob

Joe Frickin' Friday
Thanks all. I have the tap and will bring to the tech daze and do it there in case others want to observe.

Bob, can you confirm you've got a bottoming tap, not just a regular/starter tap? IIRC there's not much hole depth beyond the threaded insert, so the tap to be used needs to cut threads to (nearly) the end of its own length.

If you get the tap (or if someone else brings it), we can do this at the Tech Daze next month.

A.K., is that "tech daze" an open event or do you need to be a club member to take part?. If open event it sounds like a fun day..

Twisty

Joe Frickin' Friday

A.K., is that "tech daze" an open event or do you need to be a club member to take part?. If open event it sounds like a fun day..

Come on over; details here. It's as much about socializing as it is about knowledge transfer; a great opportunity to talk F2F with people you've come to know here on the board, and get some hands-on experience with bike maintenance. Hope to see you there. thumbsup.gif

Probably not a bottoming tap Mitch. I'll pick one up before the daze unless someone who is coming has one to bring. Anyone? Of course I can take out my trusty little dremmel and saw off a few threads, then it will seat by golly.

Bob

Joe Frickin' Friday
Probably not a bottoming tap Mitch. I'll pick one up before the daze unless someone who is coming has one to bring. Anyone? Of course I can take out my trusty little dremmel and saw off a few threads, then it will seat by golly.

I'll be impressed if your Dremel can cut into a tap; that stuff is pretty hard.

I'll be impressed if your Dremel can cut into a tap; that stuff is pretty hard.

Mitch, actually a Dremel or die grinder cutting disk will cut hardened steel easier than soft metal of the same type.. It doesn’t gum the wheel up as much & a high speed fiber disk slices right through a tap..

Bob, if you need a 5mm X.8 bottoming tap just PM me with your snail mail address & I will send you one.. I have a drawer full so you can either keep it or return it to me if we ever meet at a function..

Twisty

Thanks twisty, I will send you a pm unless your are going to be at the tech daze. LOL Mitch, I was thinking of cutting the threads on the screw, not the tap. I figure I'm 1.5 threads from seating the head. Of course I've ruined my share of screws and bolts trying the trusty cut method. At least on a larger size, you can dress the threads with a file but it's a crapshoot on a screw this size.

Bob

Are you talking about the two screws which you can only see after removing the front seat? If you stick a longer screw on the RHS than should be there it WILL hit the battery lead.

It was the screws above those Ian, third from the front. Got a tap from Twisty and will do the "big operation" at the tech daze.

Bob

Archived