IGNORED

K bike and a hard start

Bjarne Aanning

Bjarne Aanning

I have had this problem with my 92 K75RT with it not wanting to start up without a push start. For example, today I woke up early and rode for about a half hour (no problems starting up). I let the bike sit for about thirty minutes while I got some work done, came back and the thing wouldn't fire up. The starter turns over when the ignition is pressed but the engine doesn't catch. I had to 'bump' start the thing and that only worked on the third try. Has anyone got a clue, off-hand or otherwise, as to what may be going on?

Calvin  (no socks)

Sounds like a voltage drop. As the connection warms up the resistance rises... Does it always start cold? Bump starting it warm saves the voltage that the starter pulls for the ignition...

Is the starter spinning but not turning the engine over? If that is the case, the starter sprague may be slipping. This can be a problem on high mileage bikes or engines that haven't had the oil changed regularly. To fix this is really a job for an accomplished mechanic. The rear of the engine (bellhousing) must come off.

Frank

My K100RS did similar things. I fixed it by changing the plugs and by pulling all the connectors I could find and spraying them with electrical connector cleaner spray, which is available at your auto parts stores.

Is the starter spinning but not turning the engine over? If that is the case, the starter sprague may be slipping. This can be a problem on high mileage bikes or engines that haven't had the oil changed regularly. To fix this is really a job for an accomplished mechanic. The rear of the engine (bellhousing) must come off.

Frank

sure sounds like the starter clutch sticking. this is usually the results of dirty parts, less often worn parts.

my bike exhibtits the same behaviour if I switch it off within say.. 5 minutes of starting it. once the enigine is warm or revved they never pose a problem.

a fix (usually temporary) is to use a enigine flush. put the indicated amount in the engine, then let her sit for about 20 minutes at advanced idle (1500 rpm, or so). then change oil and filter. this may remove the gumming from the clutch. at least it may buy you some time before having to take the back end off.

HTH, Daniël

Bjarne Aanning

Finally figured it out. Turns out the connection from (what I believe is) the fuel pump to the computer is loose. It's found on the right side under the removable cover. A little electrical tape is the fix for now until this winter when I can really tear her apart. Thanks all for the help.

This happened to me twice. The engine would spin but not fire. I got it to fire by holding the throttle halfway open and then feathering it while holding down the starter. I guess that this acts as a manual choke when held more than halfway open.

Archived