IGNORED

So, the thrill is GONE?

bmwscoot

After reading about Steve's two encounters today, it brings the following stuff up. I have been jotting stuff down for a post, and this is it:

So the thrill is GONE?

The R12RT sure has been sitting an awful lot lately, and frankly I am not sure why.

Initially, I thought it was the fact that almost every Saturday since Gunnison, I have been working. But, the last 2 weeks have been no O.T., and still the bike sits. I try to force myself to head out after supper, and it’s just a ho-hum ride, been-there-done-that type of stuff.

When the scoot was into the dealer for 3 weeks for ESA problems, I really did not miss it. As a matter of fact, Barb and I did a lot of things we USED to do before riding all the time. eek.gif

We just got back from a one week vacation into Canada and back with PERFECT weather, and took the cage. We enjoyed the trip...packing is NO problem with a cage, and my knees felt really good for a change after all day in the car. We can put a lot more miles on in the car per day comfortably than on the scoot. Mostly my knees are feelin their age, I guess. grin.gif

My thoughts are this:

Since my little get-off last August, I can’t (or won’t) wick it up like I used to. And frankly after watching some of you guys ride, my “wicking-it-up” even before was just a walk in the park for you. Twenty mph over in traffic seems totally unsafe lately, and I used to like to run her up into the 120’s every now and then….with clear roads, of course.

Riding seems dangerous now, more than before. (Old age “wisdom”? or just chicken sh*t?)

Urban intersections seem like an accident waiting to happen (brakes covered). Higher speed blind cornering seems to put “what-ifs” into my head...you know, gravel, oil, deer...MIGHT be ahead in that blind apex.

I find myself thinking that hoons would be best to “take it to the track”, with as many perils as there are in the streets. NOT a popular opinion here, I know.

Some might suggest a riding class, but frankly, I don’t WANT to do that stuff. Shorter touring MIGHT be in our future, if we do biking.

I just am not sure where I am headed here, as this stuff has been building since Gunnison. The ride back from there after 2+ days droning home brought the question: “Are we having fun yet?” more than once.

Mind you, I am not whining here, just trying to understand what the h*ll’s going on.

You know, I used to just run out to the garage to look at the bike, or maybe work on it a bit and it ain’t happening lately.

If you remember, I sold off "the stable" last fall, and maybe that should have been it, huh?

I think I’ll just take a break, and see if it "IT" returns. Riding around with all this "danger, danger" in my head is just going to get me killed. It's obvious to me that I do not have a clue yet afa which direction I am headed here.

If I do not get it back, well it was nice while it lasted, and that may have to do. We'll see. eek.gif

You'll know when by watching the Want Ads. grin.gif

The thrill is not gone for me, but I'm a slow old man on public streets. I'm two-thirds of the way through a three-day track session (flagging at Barber), and I feel so much safer here than on public roads.

So my thrills are just different: track as fast as I can go; trials trying to not be embarassed; dirt/offroad where spills don't count; and street riding. But the latter is more about relaxed fun. It's not a competition or adrenaline thrill like it used to be sometimes.

ShovelStrokeEd

Jeff,

I think we all go through this kind of thing at one time or another. I haven't had much time or opportunity to really ride any of my bikes in the last month or so. I still ride to and from work every day but that is more of a chore than a ride. The local rides just don't appeal at all any more. I've been over every road there is within a 100 mile radius plus it is bloody hot here every day. Temps in the low 90's along the shore and mid to high 90's inland. Very few curves doesn't help much either.

Give it a rest for awhile, but don't do anything drastic like selling off the bike just yet. I'd think about waiting for the weather to improve a bit and then just plan a little trip, just you and Barb (Hi Barb!) and a meander through some of the back roads. Maybe find a B&B a couple hundred miles away and do a "smell the roses" ride.

Just a thought. I know how an accident can detune you. Takes a bit of time for confidence to return. Don't push it, it will come back, along with the joy of riding. Maybe just time to change the focus from distance to more local stuff.

I think we all go through this kind of thing at one time or another.

I agree. I've been through it a couple of times, and I've been fighting it all this summer, for various reasons.

My Gunnison experience, riding-wise, was much less than I had hoped for. In fact, on most days, I was late to get started on the bike, and I could not wait to get back to the hotel.

With that being said, I was out last Sunday for a nice 300-mile loop throughout southern Indiana (the good part of Indiana smirk.gif ), which was the first time on the GS since I was in Gunnison, and the day was fantastic! For whatever reason, the day and my riding just seemed to click.

What I've learned is that you have to carefully sort out your feelings about riding, real and imagined. Remnants from your crash? Stress at home or work? Money issues? Time issues? Weather? The PITA it can sometimes be to "gear up" for an afternoon of sweltering riding? Health issues? I can go on, but you get my point.

For me, I still fight residual issues left over from my crash last September, but there have been plenty of other non-riding issues this year that have pre-occupied my mind and interests.

I am hopeful that my ride last Sunday was more the "real me" than not.

Be patient, Jeff.

2 ideas:

1. An advanced skills class ala Cornering Workshop, track day, etc. Amaze and remind yourself as to the bike's and your ability.

2. Ride with old or new friends. Whoda thunk I'd count as "one of the memorables" a 200 mile slab ride to enjoy 60 miles of the fun stuff? But, the company both while riding (ie. the precision formation "flying") and the company at the prerequisite food stop made it all SOOOOOO worthwile.

Just my $.02

About 18 months ago, a close friend of mine got into an 'almost head-on' collision with a full size Dodge van in Ortega hwy (CA) on his GSXR750. He was in ICU for 2 full weeks and suffered with a broken jaw, broken ribs, all left hand fingers fragmented in uncountable pieces and broken collar bone. This tragic incident was then followed by 2 other friends that suffered in not as major, but still substantial damages while riding their bikes. Without stating the obvious, I was off my bikes for close to 2 months, but soon realized that I just enjoy riding too much to give it up. I am older and wiser these days, but I still count my blessings and thank heavens for each ride at the end of each day. I just believe that when it is our time, it is our time. Till then, I will enjoy what I like to do but will try my utmost best to be able to do it for a looong time. Thus, no short thrills like wheelies and diving into blind corners at unmangeable speeds. Being able to ride for a long time is better than riding fast for a short time.

I know this might not directly correlate to your point about the thrill being gone, but I believe this is your logical side taking over your emotional side (i.e. passion for riding). If you truly like riding, like when we fall madly in love, it'll be hard to control your emotions despite what the logical side of your brain tells you...

Francois_Dumas

In my younger years I was a racing driver..... done a few of the famous tracks down here, like the Nurburg Ring. After I got married and we had money to buy cars again I had various 'GT' versions of Opels, Citroens, Datsuns, etc. Used to do up to 230/hr on the German highways, and as fast as possible and safe on the twiesties.....

Then we had our daughter (after our first baby died), and I stopped smoking, drinking and speeding. Still had fast cars (Beemers and such) fro the company and trouble taking it slow.... so bought 'slow-but-fun' cars privately (Landrover, Landcruiser..... now a Cherokee).

Haven't looked back since, except when I have to cover 4000 km to places I don't really care for.. but we can't go fast anymore anywhere in Europe anyway.

When I got my first real motorbike (the RT) I did NOT get it to go fast, and certainly not to impress others with my abilities of passing whatever came on my way.

Instead I just enjoy the freedom of it, the fact I can see more (no roof to obstruct me), the fact people wave at me and point at us, the fact I can comfortably do all this without getting too tired and STILL have the fun of mastering balance, smoothness and power of a nice bit of technology...... instead of having a PPL and plane (which I can't afford).

What I am saying is that IT DEPENDS what you want the bike for and your expectations of what fun to have from it. If that doesn't match, then I can imagine you'll leave it in the shed.

Or perhaps you should look at its use in another way.... ? smile.gif

François

So the thrill is GONE?

Would you regret it, be relieved or feel neutral towards it, if this were so?

I guess there's a difference between something that has run its course, or something blocking the thrill that’s still there.

I'm kind of at the same place. On July 23rd my wife and I were riding with the couple we do 95%-98% of our riding with when they were hit by a car. My wife and I were right behind them, and we only missed the car by a few feet. I haven't had my wife on a bike since the accident, and really don't want her to get back on with me. Our friends should be OK in a couple more months, but they aren't going to ride again. The only riding I've done is back and forth to work, and that really hasn't been too enjoyable. I'm thinking seriously about selling my bikes, and pursuing my other hobbies. I've lost my riding partner, and most of my desire to ride.

Jeff,

Maybe a change of scenary is in order. Rather than 'slabbing' your RT to a distant destination, you and your wife should hitch it up (trailer) and get there more comfortably (you mention packing ease, for example). My wife and I are entertaining the same thing except to South Dakota. Quite frankly, slabbing up I-25 isn't my idea of a thrilling ride, but the destination certainly will be.

This certainly wouldn't eliminate any safety concerns you're feeling. But your post reads more like it's a collection of issues/observations that may have diminished your riding desire. Addressing each of these individually may help answer your overall question.

Mike O

Joe Frickin' Friday
So the thrill is GONE?

For me, this applies only to local roads. After repeatedly riding some of the most exhilarating and beatific motorcycling roads in the country over the past eight years, the local roads don't hold a whole lot of appeal for me.

I bought my RT just after moving to Ann Arbor, so my first season of ownership was mostly about local exploration; I logged 9500 miles that year, only about 3000 of which was done on extended trips. Last year I logged about 11,000 miles, of which about 9000 was done on trips. I wouldn't mind being very familiar with local roads if they moved through stunning scenery (think Rockies) or had more technical content (think Smokies), but the riding around here is kinda mediocre on both counts. Most of my riding excitement now seems to come from journeying to/through exotic locales; the local roads, such as they are, feel more like practice, like jogging through the neighborhood to stay in shape for Track & Field Day.

i would concur with the person who suggested either a riding course or a track day. my rationale is that on the track, you learn to push the envelope therby learning what the bike is capable of. by doing this, you enlarge your envelope on the street so that hopefully the things you are concerned about now become less of a concern because you are riding further from the limits of the machine and your own skill. after my first track day, i learned a lot, but actually slowed down on the street, but i am fine with that. the track makes you realize how narrow the street is and it heightens your awareness of hazards (in a positive way, hopefully)that don't occur on the track.

another possible idea if it is possible for you is a second bike that is more laid back such as a cruiser for those evenings when you don't want the intensity of riding the bmw.

best of luck.

tom collins

So the thrill is GONE?

I guess there's a difference between something that has run its course, or something blocking the thrill that’s still there.

I think Miriam has it the question on the head.

but I'm a slow old man on public streets.

But the latter is more about relaxed fun. It's not a competition or adrenaline thrill like it used to be sometimes.

eek.gifsmirk.gif

I think we need a contest to see who can ride at the speed limit for the longest time on public roads.

Oh, and no passing on a DOUBLE

tongue.gif

Seriously, I've tried doing this latley, but I think it's mainly for Bambi, not maturity. dopeslap.gif

When you don't feel like doing something that you previously enjoyed and devoted a lot of time and $$$ to, it's time to move on.

You can always jump back in.

Best wishes.

Blue Beemer Dude

I'm in a similar frame of mind as the original poster. I don't know if it's because nothing has been the same since my week in the Rockies, or age, my close encounter with Bambi, or just another dip in the sin wave that is my motorcycling life. I've BTDT and sold bikes when I stop enjoying the ride, only to buy them again in a year or two. This time, I'll just stick it in the corner and plug in the charger.

I am buying my convertible toy this evening, so that will satisfy the fun quotient, plus I'll be more comfortable, have room for the kids if I am forced (at gunpoint) to bring them along smirk.gif and even have a little room left over for luggage.

When I do ride the bike (like I did Sunday before it got too stinkin' hot) I also don't kill the corners like I used to, and I'm much more conscious and paranoid of what can happen if I screw up. I know it's not due to increased maturity, because I still act like a child, so it must just be age. Hell, if I keep this up, I'll be riding a Goldwing soon. dopeslap.gif j/k.

It's a phase dude. Roll with it. If you feel the same way in 8 months (which will be Spring) then sell the bike and find another hobby.

Michael

Francois_Dumas

I think we need a contest to see who can ride at the speed limit for the longest time on public roads.

Oh, and no passing on a DOUBLE

tongue.gif

I would have a pretty good chance of winning it..... Marty would have no chance in hell....... not for the speed, but for the double yellows grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I know how you feel. I went into a 10 year hiatus because I was simply burned out on the whole biking thing. Dirt racing, street riding, wrenching and watching road races were the main focus of my life. And I chucked it alland didn’t look back or regret it. Then one day while walking a dog I heard someone on a nicely tuned liter class motorcycle row through the gears with a little authority and BAM!!.....I gotta get a bike again! What the hell was I thinking!!!

Turns out all my old riding buddies were going through the same epiphany and within 3 years we all had rides again.

If you’re burned out on riding, take a break. And if you do go away for more than several weeks, give me a call. I know of an excellent home for that R12RT of yours tongue.gif

Jeff, Barb,

You're right. If the thrill is gone, you just don't feel the effort is worth it, the risk are too high, etc., you should get out of it. I'll give you $11,500 for it. grin.gifwink.gif

Seriously though, I wonder how much of it is the, "Riding around with all this "danger, danger" in my head"? You had a get-off, Tasker mentions it, and I certainly know that after mine, it took better than a year before all the gremlins were out of my head. (Maybe not even still so 100%.) But a lot of the "what-ifs" you are playing in your head are not negatives, they are 'stay-alives.' Things we should all be thinking about. Not obsessing about, but being aware of, and thinking about - 'What (would I do) if.' The "would I do" is the important part. Not, 'What if this happens,' but 'What would I do right now if this happens.'

If you're spooked from your get-off, and at a cross-roads so to speak, addressing the core underlying fear of, lets face it - of death, may be the answer. And if you really love riding, but feel you are now 'scared' of it, don't rule out seeking some consoling. It's rather common in car accident victims to have the same fears and seek help. One of my ex's did when after a year she still couldn't drive on rainy nights after an accident on one.

ISFA the "thrill" though. There are different definitions of "thrill." Not just speed can be a thrill. Accuracy and precision can be too. Just like everyone else I'm sick to death of all the roads within 100 miles of here, and we don't even have any good ones. But I still like to go riding them. Not to see if I can ride them faster, but to see if I can ride them better. Better lines, better body position, better bike control, better reading of the landscape. One time I'll work on feet movement, another time on shifting smoothness, or panic stops, or sudden swerving, etc. Speed around the curve isn't even a consideration. (But I suspect I'm getting faster anyway.)

But for me my bike isn't (just) recreation, it's my transportation. Unless there is a really good reason, I'm on it every single day. So my perspective is a bit different than yours. But by re-focusing your, well, focus, a bit, I suspect your interest in riding will come back.

If not, my offer of $11,450 stands!

AdventurePoser
If you’re burned out on riding, take a break. And if you do go away for more than several weeks, give me a call. I know of an excellent home for that R12RT of yours tongue.gif

Don't even think about it...I've got my one way ticket to MN covered... grin.gifgrin.gif

Steve in So Cal

Jeff:

Be safe...Do not push it...If is does not feel good or right stop it.

Trust your gut...That's how you stayed safe all this time continue to trust your instincts.

Jeff:

I don't have much wisdom to share here. I do have a suggestion, though.

Golf used to be my main hobby. Over the last several years, it has gotten harder for me to find (or justify/rationalize) the 6+ hours it takes to play a round. I might have quit altogether if one of my friends didn't keep asking me to play once in a while. Whenever it works out and I can get out to play, I realize I still love the game enough not to quit it altogether.

So, my suggestion is this: Ask one of your riding pals who "gets it" to invite you to go on a spontaneous ride after you've had some time away from riding. When he calls, go ride and see how you feel about it. If there's still no thrill, maybe it really has run its course for you. And maybe it isn't a bad thing if it has.

Best wishes with your soul searching.

There are some who would say that the inherent danger of motorcycling on public roads is actually part of the "thrill" -- and non-riders think riders must have a death-wish anyway. You never know what you're gonna get on a public street, so you have to anticipate constantly, which can be tiring. Dirt riding is a whole nother thing, since there's no fear of a drunk/idiot driver, a clueless cell-yacking soccer mom in an Escalade, or a city taxi driven by a crazed 3rd-worlder coming out of nowhere and taking you out unexpectedly.

I can see how a get-off could spook any rider -- it would spook me. Maybe my time will come and I'll be tested, too. Just give it time and you'll likely remember what a hoot it is to ride.

On the other hand, in the past 3 months I've ridden my bike only to work, maybe 3 days a week if no rain, which is a 15-minute ride door-to-door via the HOV. No weekend jaunts or weeknight rides in the country -- too stinkin hot and humid, my helmet fills with sweat and the bugs plaster me and the bike. Proper ATGATT is stifling for long periods in the heat and I'm not a tanktop/bermuda shorts squid. I'm a Fall/Winter/Spring rider. I love 20-40F on the bike. It runs better and I run better. If there's no snow or ice, I'm out there. Come on OCTOBER! thumbsup.gif

Motorrad4fun

Jeff,

If the bike is not hurting anything just sitting there, let it sit. It is not going to start crying about the time you are spending with it. Get out do some other things. Heck, pick up a new hobby.

When the time is right, you will be back out there and riding. You need to take a break in every relationship from time to time, call it what you will.

I'm kind of at the same place. On July 23rd my wife and I were riding with the couple we do 95%-98% of our riding with when they were hit by a car....I've lost my riding partner, and most of my desire to ride.
Interesting thread so far. I don't recall anyone I know going through the same issue after a car accident they or someone they knew were in. For some reason quitting driving isn't an option but we treat riding as an optional activity. My bike is a method of transportation first and fun second so, I'd not consider stopping just because I had an accident. On the other hand, I also don't find the need to go ride long distances on the weekend so maybe I'm missing something. Not sure what to make of this.

Jim

Francois_Dumas
[. My bike is a method of transportation first and fun second so, I'd not consider stopping just because I had an accident. On the other hand, I also don't find the need to go ride long distances on the weekend so maybe I'm missing something. Not sure what to make of this.

Jim

That's what I say about my car .... smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

Jeff, I go through those emotions every now and then (sometimes several times within a few minutes grin.gif). Don't worry about it. Wait for the heat of summer to start burning off then see what you want to do.

Nobody likes riding when it's hot.

I feel this way from time to time. Right now is one of those times. My bud died in that helicopter crash a couple of weeks ago and now I find myself feeling a little tensed up splitting traffic on the freeway. Which has caused me to think about this very subject. I'm continuing to ride but being cautious and sensitive to my riding. I'm feeling that mortality right now and it is making me uneasy.

Jeff,

Some good advice has been offered. Here's my 2 cents. I've had a very similar experience. Just wasn't enthusiastic about riding and I could not for the life of me figure out why. I finally concluded my relationship with motorcycles had evolved. It had been a part of my life for so long, I could not imagine being without some sort of motorcycle. I simply changed my riding habits and the joy returned. It's very rare for me to now get on the bike to ride for a couple of hours, even though we have an abundance of good roads nearby. I began to focus on one, two or three longer trips a year and incorporated camping into all of them. I now look forward to the camping as much as I do the riding, and I forced myself to stop feeling guilty if the motorcycle sat for two weeks or longer. I picked up a small dirt bike (Yamaha XT 225), and that introduced me to a countless number of gravel roads and beautiful places. In turn, that led to the GS, which has opened up the remote mountains and high desert of Colorado. More dirt / gravel and less street. I bought a Condor wheel chock and began to throw the bike in the pick up so I could bypass the boring stuff. A couple of years ago my pride would have prevented that.

Our lives are constantly changing, so it's unreasonable to expect that our motorcycling won't change or evolve right along with it. Give it some time and I bet next spring you'll have your answer.

Hey, great responses…keep them coming! wave.gif

I know that my get-off last August has influenced my riding to a great degree. Mostly, it is not knowing how I could have avoided it. And my answer is that I could not have.

And thanks Tasker and Ken...... thumbsup.gif

I know we talked some after my (and your) little mishap(s) last year, I think the talking helped keep me on the scoot. I have to admit it was tough mounting up for our Betty’s to Ely ride last season, just two days after I went down on the Wee-Strom.

My trip to the pavement was a front end washout, on an unseen deep gravel hazard, on the other side of a hill. I was down just like that. First time in 30 years of riding. It drove home the point that no matter who is at fault when you go down, you DO pay the price on the scoot.

I am sure this has the “what-if’s” going through my little head when entering blind corners.

Joel, great point, and much as I tend to do things all-or-nothing, I may have just burned out a tad.

Oh and John, A GL, huh? I know you are correct that our riding needs change over our lifetime.

And I’ll make a confession to the board....

I have sinned, and attended 2 H-D events that featured a local rock band that just kicks *ss. Those H-D guys and gals know how to party...and they know rock and roll! I’ve mentioned my favorite local band “Scarlet Haze” and I have yet to see them scheduled at a BMW gathering. Tasker, you do this concert stuff, right? wink.gif

NO, I do not ride the scoot to a beer drinking tent party.

It is possible that my newly returned interest in following this local band has taken some of my focus off riding, which used to be everything during the spring, summer, and fall. Before riding, music and local bands WERE my main interest. thumbsup.gif

Ed, .. Local riding afa what I can do after work has become a little ho-hum. I know all roads within an a hour or two of my house seemingly by heart (remember, 30 years of riding around here). Ken’s idea of trying to be a little more technical might work, I might try that. But Ed, I like your idea of doing more ‘smell-the-roses’ type of rides 200 miles on out. This fall up here is the perfect time to ride, and if I can’t get into that, well...

confused.gif

Hey Ken, Paul, and Steve, I’ll have to respectfully decline your generous offers. Besides, you really don’t want ESA.

But if I ever give up sport/touring, and my knees want to stretch out on a Road King Classic, well I’ll let’cha know.

Do not hold your breath, however. grin.gif

I am finding this very theraputic, writing this book. grin.gif

It's fun at times to just look into the why's and why-not's in our decision to ride our bikes.

I don't recall anyone I know going through the same issue after a car accident they or someone they knew were in.
Curiously enough, I was rear ended in my full size conversion van about a month ago, hard enough to break the seat I was in and put me flat on my back in the back seat. I freak out now in the car, but get on the bike with no problem. The mind is a funny thing.
I freak out now in the car, but get on the bike with no problem. The mind is a funny thing.

Yup, but the trouble is when you are on the scoot, if you would get hit like that, well....... frown.gif

We all know the risks involved here, but after my little (and I do mean little) get-off, I realize it CAN happen. Before I just thought I was immune to this stuff.

Interesting thread so far. I don't recall anyone I know going through the same issue after a car accident they or someone they knew were in. For some reason quitting driving isn't an option but we treat riding as an optional activity. My bike is a method of transportation first and fun second so, I'd not consider stopping just because I had an accident. On the other hand, I also don't find the need to go ride long distances on the weekend so maybe I'm missing something. Not sure what to make of this.

For me, riding is definitely an optional activity. I do it as a recreational activity. I've never considered my bikes as a means of transportation. I ride to work sometimes, but could just as easily drive my car. My main interest in riding has been in the longer trips I've taken. Riding the same roads over and over again on shorter local rides for lunch or coffee gets boring. I was out of riding from 1981 until 2002. I got back into riding when my friend decided he wanted to ride. He has quit riding as a result of his accident, and I really don't want to ride by myself. The way people drive with their heads up their a$$es around here, I'm not sure I want my wife riding with me again either. Driving a car is a necessity for me, riding a bike isn't.

Hi Jeff (and Barb!!),

Firstly, we hope you two are fit, well and staying out of trouble grin.gifgrin.gif

I read through all the posts and thought I would add my 2 cents...

In the past 9 months, Deb totalled her CB750 and I hit a rock face with Darth.

Fortunately, Deb's gear saved her and she only suffered bumps and bruises and a small piece of gravel rash and I only just bruised my right leg and foot. In both cases, we SHOULD have been hurt a lot more.

When I saw Deb go off the road and down the ravine it was probably the worst moment of my life....especially when I ran back, looked down and saw her just lying still on the rocks.

Now..Deb still gets the urge for another bike but has decided, at least for now, to ride pillion on Darth. I am still riding, although I am still a little "tense" looking out for gravel on corners, but less tense than 6 months ago!

I now ride with a local group every Monday morning. We meet at a local Mexican cafe', sit and shoot the breeze then go explore local roads in the Summer and take day rides the rest of the year.

Most of them have been riding for years, many have had get-off's and they really are a great source of wisdom and support. I like the cameraderie a lot and they are totally non-judgemental when out riding...we have two groups..the fast group and the not so fast group grin.gifgrin.gif

Also, we recently sold our RV and have reworked our travelling methodology. We decided to use Deb's Subaru Forester (we had a trailer hitch installed on it) and motels for travel and use it to tow Darth on our Kendon.

This way, on our longer (and sometimes more boring) trips, we will use the cage and when we get to the more fun parts off comes the RT and we enjoy exploring the local roads. No worries about weather..we have two great options!!

We still have the enjoyment of the bike but we have made it fit our life rather than the other way around....

We both went through what you are experiencing but found that we still enjoyed riding. Now, whether you ride once a day, once a month or once a year...if you enjoy it, keep the bike. Make it fit your life...if it's not about the money and you love the bike, keep it and enjoy it whether you ride it a lot or a little. Sometimes a little readily accessible two wheel therapy is a wonderful thing thumbsup.gif

I'm kind of at the same place. On July 23rd my wife and I were riding with the couple we do 95%-98% of our riding with when they were hit by a car....I've lost my riding partner, and most of my desire to ride.

Jim

Jim,

I've definitely gone through this. Car, motorcycle and bicycle.

T-boned by light runner and went through a non/safety glass windshield. It was difficult for a long time to get in a car, they all have windshields.

Motorcycle, hit/run by truck. Took a while to get comfortable on 2 wheels.

Bicycle hit and run by car. Eventually got back on these, but don't ride them anymore. (Not fast enough grin.gif).

The mind/brain works in strange and mysterious ways.

Pain and emotions are stored in a way they can become real again. Sometimes too real.

Quite frankly, slabbing up I-25 isn't my idea of a thrilling ride, but the destination certainly will be.

Mike O

<hijack>

Mike, US 85 is a nice alternative to I-25 up to S. Dakota. Two lane road, nice scenery, little traffic, few towns. I took it to Devil's Tower (and Sturgis) a couple of weeks ago.

</hijack>

I've gone through the emotional moto-roller coaster that some of you have described a time or two. The first time it happened was after I took an unplanned off-road excursion on my Honda CB500T. I only sprained a wrist, but I could not help but focus on the "what ifs" after that. About a year later I sold the Honda and remained a cager for a couple of years. But every time I saw a beautiful bike or a rider carving a curve, I grew wistful. Ultimately I succumbed to an ST1100. I've had a motorcycle ever since then.

But I find that, from time to time, I'm just not all that jazzed about riding. Part of it is that my life is busy and there are many other demands on my time. Part of it is the fact that riding carries with it some complications--maintaining the bike, dealing with the riding gear, facing the occasional close call that makes one wonder if it's worth it.

But there is a always a strong pull back to riding. In large part it's a visceral thrill--accelerating at a rate few will ever experience, leaning into a curve and balancing the tug of the Earth against the forces of inertia, or simply feeling cool air stream over your body as you ease on down the road. There are times when I can't imagine doing anything but riding--is there anything closer to heaven than riding a curving tree-lined road on a crisp fall morning and catching the occasional scent of a wood fire? Does it get any better than riding through the mountains as magnificent vistas slip by? Or cruising down a river road, and watching herons take flight?

Those times are pure ecstasy, experiences beyond your ability to convey in mere words.

I know the risks and inconveniences are worth it at those times. But when I'm riding stoplight to stoplight on a 95-degree day, dealing with nitwits in minivans, the case is less compelling. For each of us, the pros and cons of riding vary a bit from day to day, and year to year. There's no shame in deciding to get out of riding. The only shame is in forcing yourself to go through the motions when it's really not what you want to be doing. Our lives are fleeting and you should listen to your heart.

What Joel and Gelstra said. Have a friend lead you on a destination of his or her choice. Do the opposite, take them somewhere.

As Paul(Gelstra)said, there is a different thrill in good, safe "formation flying". Some of the best rides I've been on have been in small groups with folks who ride well.

My .02 cents

Whenever I feel like this, I go to Ride Tales and search for Paul Mihalka threads. With a million miles under his belt, he can still find a way to enjoy a 20 minute ride to work thumbsup.gif

Whenever I feel like this, I go to Ride Tales and search for Paul Mihalka threads. With a million miles under his belt, he can still find a way to enjoy a 20 minute ride to work thumbsup.gif

wave.gif

Great idea! thumbsup.gif I love Paul's outlook on life and riding in general.

As a little pee-ess....

The sun was just giving off a bit of golden glow this evening, telling me that there was maybe an hour or so left before twilight. I had the yard work done, and I thought, I should go get some non-ethanol premium and fill up the scoot in case it was going to sit for a while.

Barb wanted to go too, and off we went.

It was the IDEAL night, and we stayed on the back roads.

We even got into a few twisties...without too much timidity...is that a word? Even though I know these roads by heart, the ideal weather, and knowing Barb enjoyed the ride, well....felt not too bad. wink.gif

If it would not have been for the deer and fox in the road at dusk, everything was perfect. These were NOT a close call, I hardly tapped the binders. eek.gif

So while the bike may not be #1 as far as what we will be doing this Fall, tonight felt like it at least might be a PART of our Fall season around here.

Baby steps as it were, huh?

Fingers crossed. smile.gif

I understand your feelings. However, I think you should just wait a while and see if the desire to ride more often returns.

When we still lived in New Jersey I loved riding my RT as often as possible. Being retired, I could ride whenever I felt like it. We lived on the outer edge of suburbia and I could leave my house and easily go out for the day and ride 200-250 miles on mostly back roads. The roads were interesting, had lots of curves and hills with only a few traffic lights to deal with. I rode 9000 miles in the first two years I owned the RT. Then we got involved in building a home in Florida, readying our NJ home for sale, packing for the move, etc. I only rode about 900 miles in the third year.

Then, in June 2005 we made the move. It tooks months of work to get unpacked and settled in the new house. Since we moved, I have only ridden about 400 miles.

My excuses: It is too hot to ride in AGATT from May thru October. The local roads are boring - straight, no hills. In the cooler months, you must be double and triple careful because of all the "retired snowbirds" who can barely see where they are going or who just drive without looking. It is tough enough to be safe in the cage.

About 2 months ago, someone from the Orlando area posted on this board that he was looking to purchase a clean low mileage R1100RT or R1150RT within 200 miles and I gave serious thought about contacting him and offering to sell my RT.

Then I realized that I am 67 years old and, if I sell my RT, I will probably never buy another bike. Even though I have been rideing for 35 years, I am really not ready to give up motorcycling. Hopefully, now that we are settled in our house, as the weather cools I will try riding more often. If after another 6 months I find that I am still not riding very much, I will seriously consider giving up the sport.

My advice again - do not sell the bike just yet. Let the bike sit for a few months and see if the urge to ride comes back before giving up the sport.

Your post made me think of the dirtbike. I haven't ridden the poor thing all year, partly due to 'the risk', mostly due to 'its easier to get on the beamer and just go', and MX is expensive.

I've been pretty timid, wise, and don't really wanna get hurt, the feeling is still there, I really wanna ride, but over all hasn't been a good year for the dirt on my other (health) issue's as well. So the wisdom, part is only a portion of it I guess.

My dad suggested I sell the YZ426F.

I told him, It's going no where even if I don't ride it for two years. I'll die with that bike.

Great thread, and very poignant for me.

I lost a great friend and riding partner about a month ago when he hit some gravel on a trip returning to FL. He died instantly and his wife called me to tell me the news.

He and I had far more connections in our lives than I thought, hobbies, interests, goals and the ability to mentor/counsel each other in numerous areas that were important to us.

I couldn't put a leg over without thinking of my good friend.

I couldn't really ride fast enough to enjoy the roads here in north FL without thinking of him and his family.

I've finally started riding again, getting back to commuting on my VSTROM while working on opening my new business. I've not been more than 30 miles from home on my bike since June and while it disturbs me that my mileage is down (ego) it has encouraged me to know that I am still in the game and enjoying the thrill of riding.

I miss my friend, I probably always will. For me, getting back out there and riding is part tribute, part therapy, and a good way to keep my humility by recognizing my mortality. In facing my mortality, I have forced myself to become more honest with myself and those around me. For instance, if my wife and I argue, I won't ride till we're reconciled, and I ensure that when I leave my house, or my office that I have left everyone know how I feel about them "just in case."

It has been liberating and I highly recommend it.

Matt

russell_bynum

wave.gif

Great idea! thumbsup.gif I love Paul's outlook on life and riding in general.

+1

from Mike the Moderator

But there is a always a strong pull back to riding. In large part it's a visceral thrill--accelerating at a rate few will ever experience, leaning into a curve and balancing the tug of the Earth against the forces of inertia, or simply feeling cool air stream over your body as you ease on down the road. There are times when I can't imagine doing anything but riding--is there anything closer to heaven than riding a curving tree-lined road on a crisp fall morning and catching the occasional scent of a wood fire? Does it get any better than riding through the mountains as magnificent vistas slip by? Or cruising down a river road, and watching herons take flight?

Those times are pure ecstasy, experiences beyond your ability to convey in mere words.

Sheesh, Mike, your words and images were more than "mere."

They remind me that I love riding because it lets me roll through the heave of earth or alongside a ribbon of water, and when the horizon tilts or a sudden gust braces me, or the sun slants on the cinnamon bark of Ponderosa trees, or I catch the pungent tang of Manzanita brush, I awaken to a fleeting glimpse of Eden. Then it's back to the dim of the daylight world.

Other favorite pursuits can do the same: mountain biking and snow-shoeing along my neighborhood river; downhill skiing [ on the rare days when everything clicks and my thighs aren't burning]; morning walks on the uninhabited gravel roads nearby.

But riding is easier and appeals to my inherent laziness. And those moments come more often, especially now that fall approaches.

Thanks for reminding me that "the ride" means the world around us. Maybe more.

Time to buy a new bike. That always cures this problem for me. It happens every couple of years. I go through a slump for a while, and either I come out of it on my own, or eventually, I start reading moto mags again and soon enough, I wind up with a new bike, which never fails to restore the passion.

Time to buy a new bike. That always cures this problem for me. It happens every couple of years. I go through a slump for a while, and either I come out of it on my own, or eventually, I start reading moto mags again and soon enough, I wind up with a new bike, which never fails to restore the passion.

Truly the voice of wisdom thumbsup.gif. works for me

Archived