IGNORED

New R1200RT -- bad rear shock?

paulcbrowne

I picked up a new '06 RT on Friday. I had my wife with me, topcase and sidecases filled, but well within the capacity of the RT. I found that no matter how much preload and how much damping I cranked in, the rear acted like a pickup with 20 year old shocks every time I hit a dip in the road. It got really scary at times.

Do I have bad shock or is the RT rear that badly damped? Or?

Do you have ESA?

The first time I had my bike fully loaded was out to Gunnison, CO.

We were 2-up, fully loaded, including the top box. We were well w/in the load limits as well. Every time I was in any corners with up-down undulations the bike was "wallowy".

Luckily, during my return home from that trip, the ESA portion of the rear shock puked. It would not adjust.

The replacement (3 week wait, warranty) shock for the rear feels better now, but I have not had the scoot as heavily loaded as it was on the Gunnison trip.

Others had written when I complained (b*tched smirk.gif) of this that their scoot felt fine.

I didn't want to get into a "yes it is...no it isn't" back then, but the rear of the bike now feels better w/ the new shock. tongue.gif

The dampening isn't wonderful with the stock shock. Mine has almost no useful adjustment range and I've seen other questions that lead me to believe this is a weak point with the stock shock. It's also a "softer" shock in general - I guess because this is supposed to be a "touring" bike. The owner's manual recommendations were useless when I was doing my setup, as the recommended settings made the bike ride like a pogo stick.

Have you tried running the dampening screw all the way in and going from there? Mine is open about 1/2 turn for solo riding and I only got there by backing off on the preload (softer ride). I could see where a high preload might defeat this shock's dampening ability.

Before you give up completely, I'd suggest running the dampening screw all the way in and backing out maybe 1/4 turn. Then back off on the preload, bounce up and down on the seat a few times, and begin to dial in the preload. The shock should have reasonable resistance and a controlled recovery. If it doesn't "pogo," then you stand a reasonable chance of getting an adjustment you can live with. Otherwise, I'd take it back to the shop.

Hi Guys

I am sure that my comments will not come as a surprise to many ... but the shocks fitted to the RT are crap. I paid extra for ESA and loved the ability to adjust the damping on the move (the eletric preload is a gimmick as you only need to adjust if you change the bike load ... and its not hard to turn a manual adjuster)

Anyway ... after travelling 25000mls I realised that the rear shock was getting worse and worse .. and deteriorated as the days ride progressed (I guess as it got hot)

Two weeks ago I had Ohlins fitted (F&R)and the change is unbelievable ... the cost USD1700 is the best $$$ I have ever spent .... lots has been written here about how to fit the Ohlins etc but little has been said about the transformation to how the bike rides and handles

I suggest BMW test riders should ride an RT with Ohlins and experience just how good their bike can be

Take my advice .... spend the money and you will be rewarded every time you ride

I suggest BMW test riders should ride an RT with Ohlins and experience just how good their bike can be

Take my advice .... spend the money and you will be rewarded every time you ride

I'll second that. Ohlins are that good. If Ohlins were offered as a factory option on the RT as an alternative to ESA, which option would sell more? Too bad BMW thinks the R1200S is their only bike worthy of Ohlins installed from the factory.

Firefight911

I'll second that. Ohlins are that good. If Ohlins were offered as a factory option on the RT as an alternative to ESA, which option would sell more? Too bad BMW thinks the R1200S is their only bike worthy of Ohlins installed from the factory.

Or Wilbers for that matter!

Unfortunately, IMO, the majority of riders out there do not understand suspensions, how they work, or how they can improve the experience. Now throw in that they do not know how to properly set them up and you can see how they would probably not perceive the benefit vs cost.

frown.gif

My opinion for what it is worth! Until this changes, I will purchase the base model suspension and ride it for a couple thousand miles, then buy the aftermarket. At least I now have something to put in when it comes time to rebuild the aftermarkets. thumbsup.gif

Archived