IGNORED

Annoying Fuel leak in an Oilhead

steve_ritter

steve_ritter

New Member: Great Forum, everyone!

Can anyone give ideas as to why I have fuel seeping from the vent line behind the brake pedal on a R1100RT? I had the tank off for 2 weeks a few months back, and the problem started shortly after I refitted it. Every thing seems to be plumbed OK, and the leak is only about 5 CC every day. There is no problem with the running of the bike, the tank doesn't get a vacuum, just an annoying smell in the garage!All help/questions greatly appreciated, and there are no dumb suggestions!!!!

Maybe over filling the tank?

If not, I would replace the two vent lines, they run inside the tank and could have a bad section allowing fuel to enter them.

I would also check for loose vent line connections on the inside of the fuel access plate and at the top where they connect to the fuel inlet device.

Stan

Is there a possibility that you reversed the the two vent lines coming from the tank? If you blow on the vent lines the air on one of them will exit at the gas cap. Find that line that and and connect it with the line that goes directly down behind your right foot.

steve_ritter

Thanks for the advice. Been away from home for a week with work, sorry about the late follow-up. The tank is at the moment only 1/3 full and was still venting. The lines don't seem to be crosssed, but they are perrished. So it's inside the tank I go.... So far with new lines, all is good, Thanks for the tip/ help.

Now everyone is happy the garage doesn't smell of fuel any more... thumbsup.gif

Archived