IGNORED

How Much Fun Can You Have on $6,000 Worth of KLRs?

David

How much fun can you have on $6,000 worth of KLR? Three of us set out to try, today. Rather than lots of words, we'll just illustrate with pictures.

At dark o'thirty, one-eyed Rosie trots over to wish us well:

rosie.jpg

We pull into a local breakfast place:

lot.jpg

Here's Kenny Haynes (left) and Jim Williams:

breakfast.jpg

We headed south from there, and stopped at a deserted campground:

dark.jpg

curve.jpg

camp.jpg

What kind of person puts farkles on a KLR? Apparently Jim:

grin.jpg

dash.jpg

closeup.jpg

From there we followed the Bald River for a bit:

map.jpg

bald.jpg

stream.jpg

Through lots more gravel roads through the forest:

woods.jpg

60024.jpg

We eventually made it to the upper Tellico off-road vehicle area (kind of like our version of Moab). I'll start with a more artistic shot:

blur.jpg

jeep2.jpg

jeep3.jpg

600018.jpg

From there we decided to try some of the tough trails ourselves. The pictures don't really capture how touch some of these were. But suffice it to say that if we'd been on pavement, we'd have to confess to 2.5 "incidents." But since these were off-road, none of them counted. tongue.gif

60001.jpg

600022.jpg

600025.jpg

600021.jpg

600023.jpg

600027.jpg

600028.jpg

600029.jpg

60006.jpg

60007.jpg

Then we decided to finish it with a boat ride at Casa de Haynes:

setup.jpg

boat.jpg

dock.jpg

Here's Grace, Kenny's better half and a great cook:

grace.jpg

Great time, guys. Who knew you could have this much fun on POS $2,000 bikes. grin.gif

My yard looks really nice, trimmed, weeded. Really glad I stayed home frown.gif

Looks like a blast. thumbsup.gif Glad you guys had fun!

Well you confessed the 2.5 incidents, might as well go the rest of the way and tell us the who, how and where grin.gif

Well you confessed the 2.5 incidents, might as well go the rest of the way and tell us the who, how and where grin.gif

In order, and severity:

1.0--Jim

1.0--David

0.5--Kenny

If you had a hair on your ass, you'd have been here today. smile.gif

Kenny Haynes

Great time guys, wish you could have been there Mark. We need to do a little camping/riding up on those trails sometime. Xr's would be better suited on the rough trails up there, but we had a blast. Today was excellent, despite some bee stings and minor mishaps. When we going back?

He clipped those off while I went out for a ride today grin.gif A guy on a KLR told me today that they are way too heavy to take on the dirt...looks like you proved him wrong thumbsup.gif!

In order, and severity:

1.0--Jim

1.0--David

0.5--Kenny

Everyone OK?

If so, lets get down to analyzing the crap out of the incidents...so we can all learn from them, of course wink.gif

Everyone OK?

If so, lets get down to analyzing the crap out of the incidents...so we can all learn from them, of course wink.gif

Okay, let's start with any jet ski incidents you may be aware of. tongue.gif

Okay, let's start with any jet ski incidents you may be aware of.

Huh? blush.gif Technically it was not an incident. (Thanks Hooner!)

I did learn to not follow boats to closely on the jetski, especially when you are looking behind you. crazy.gif

It really was a great day. I got stopped sideways on a pretty tough trail and fell the wrong direction. No harm done except for a broken blinker. The technique for avoiding this kind of incident involves not spending the day following these guys.IMG_0108.JPG

David neglected to take a picture of a woman we met at a gas station. She is destined to have her own footnote in the human genome. She seemed to be particularly interested in Kenny.

Thanks alot for posting this pictorial essay of dual sport fun.

Now I have to choose between a DR650 with 1800 miles and a '66 El Camino driver/project!

Shoulda left the computer off this morning.....

Ima guess these snappies are posted here and not on advrider because you ride like gurls.

If you had a hair on yer ass...we'd see snaps of you coming thru the creekbed doing a flying wishbone knack knack into a sooperman body burial...with the front wheel in the air. (giving the proper salute of course)

Buncha wimmens.... grin.gifgrin.gif

Great stuff kids. Wish I lived near somethin' like that. thumbsup.gif

You guys have all the fun,all I got to do yesterday was watch a bunch of crazies chase each other around a loop with no end. grin.gif

89386241-L.jpg

I would have rather been in the cool woods on a KLR.....if I had one. bncry.gif

I hate all of you...

+1, Tasker.

That includes you too big-t...I would have gladly been at the races, than running around doing errands! tongue.gif

Looks like a GREAT time! We're going to have to make another trip back east...can't let you guys have ALL the fun...

That looks like fun! thumbsup.gif

Is that kind of riding physically demanding? I'm feelin' kinda achey and sore looking at those (great) pix ...

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Is that kind of riding physically demanding?

Yes, it is. Not that you have to be super strong in any area, but it's an exertion type thing to throw the bikes around, even though the KLRs weigh only 325 or so. Still heavy for off-roading.

Then if you dump it and have to pick it up by yourself on a steep, rocky, muddy trail, it's a recipe for some deep sweat.

Not that this happened to us--that's just a hypothetical example. grin.gif

Not that this happened to us--that's just a hypothetical example.

"...uh, yeah, that happened to some friends of ours...actually, I just read an article on it...yeah, that's it"

Nice try! thumbsup.gif

Kenny Haynes

This is the same stream crossing pictured above about 6 or 7 years ago. The forest service has improved it recently, so it is not as difficult as it used to be. The first time I took my xr across it about 15 years ago, the water was almost to the tank. 89685999-L.jpg

Archived