IGNORED

Quick Business in WV

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

For business reasons I needed to go to Fayetteville, WV last Friday, August 11. So, I loaded up the R1200GS and headed south.

I've been through WV by Interstate before. I almost made it there to ride the good roads once in 2003, but circumstances prevented it. So, finally, I took the opportunity to ride WV.

I departed home, Troy, NY, on Thursday, quite late, around 11:20 AM. My goal for the day was Staunton, VA. I accomplished that easily, got a motel room, dinner and a bottle of wine. (I must say I like the conversion to screw caps, they travel well on the bike.) In talking to the lady at the wine store I outlined my plans for the next day, and she said, "I would ride over four mountains in forty miles." Woohoo! Ooh la la! My kind of roads.

Well, I headed out US-250 from Staunton and road over those four glorious mountains. Great twisties, sweepers, small Appalachian towns, valley views, pastoral landscapes... what more could one ask for.

This trip served several purposes for me. First, business, I had to go to Fayetteville. Second, a solo get away. I've only done one in the time that Sylva and I have been together. That's one in two years, which compares to about ten in the year prior to our getting together. It was good to get away. Third, I needed a break. Business has been good, but hectic and with a lot of pressure. I needed to blow out the cobwebs, and West Virginia seemed like the best means at hand.

From US-250 I headed south on US-219 to SR-15 west. US-219 was just more pastoral county road goodness, and SR-15 rose up into the mountains with twisties riding right along a mountain ridge. The only thing it lacked was great views, as the tree cover was heavy.

Next came SR-20 south and a few switch backs, some towns and signs of civilization. Then I headed east on SR-55 into the National Forest. Ah... the blessed peace of a forest road. A river runs along the road with its gentle sweepers. The road leads down a valley between two ridges lending it a nice feel of isolation from the outside world. A few minutes into it you know you're out in nature.

The final leg of my ride for the day was US-219 south to US-60 west into Fayetteville. Unfortunately I got rained on then over heated when it stopped raining, then got passed by a construction vehicle, and we swapped back and forth as I donned rain gear, then needed to take it off a time or two. US-60 is an awesome road though, with great mountain crossings, twisties, elevation changes, in short everything a rider could want. I look forward to riding it again.

After concluding my business in Fayetteville Saturday I headed north on SR-16. Just north of Fayetteville until you reach Gauley Bridge this road is like a roller coaster. Great twisties with perfect on camber pavement, reasonable sight lines, a river running along side it. Just superb. After Gauley Bridge the road turns into sweeper after sweeper interspersed with Appalachian towns and villages. I highly suggest this road for a little motorcycle R&R.

Here's to the next time. I'm looking forward to getting back to West Virginia soon.

Sounds like a great trip. Ive been to the Gauly/new river gourge area a few times with a group of whitewater kayakers. The roads are beatiful. I will finally get to ride a bike on them in mid september. Two of us are going to leave Indiana, ride to north Georgia, arround the ashville NC, area, then take the BRP up into the area you were just in. The other rider hasnt been to either area,and is looking forward to getting away from the long straight Indiana roads. Cant wait to leave myself, Geno

Nice to see that you're out and about, Mark. Sounds like there are some beautiful riding opportunities down there. There's something very special about winding along beside the course of a river. It's somehow exhilarating and relaxing all at the same time.

Love to Sylva!

Awww.

I'm so glad he got to go ride - Mark came home a happy happy man. He told me about this one road...MMMM. I hope I get to ride it someday!!

Great twisties with perfect on camber pavement, reasonable sight lines, a river running along side it. Just superb. After Gauley Bridge the road turns into sweeper after sweeper interspersed with Appalachian towns and villages.

There's something very special about winding along beside the course of a river. It's somehow exhilarating and relaxing all at the same time.

Now I'll tell him what he missed lmao.gif

Just beyond where you turned off RT60/16 and onto Rt16 there is a waterfall cascading down the mountain on the right while the beautiful Kanawha river is on the left.Many,many pics are taken there.

West Virginia is one of the best kept secrets in motorcycling! After spending a lot of time exploring the state, it seems to me that the NC Deals Gap area is a little overrated. We just don't have the traffic here!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Steve

West Virginia is one of the best kept secrets in motorcycling! After spending a lot of time exploring the state, it seems to me that the NC Deals Gap area is a little overrated. We just don't have the traffic here!

Ooooooooooohhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! That sounds GOOD!!!!!!! clap.gif

Great twisties with perfect on camber pavement, reasonable sight lines, a river running along side it. Just superb. After Gauley Bridge the road turns into sweeper after sweeper interspersed with Appalachian towns and villages.

There's something very special about winding along beside the course of a river. It's somehow exhilarating and relaxing all at the same time.

Now I'll tell him what he missed lmao.gif

Just beyond where you turned off RT60/16 and onto Rt16 there is a waterfall cascading down the mountain on the right while the beautiful Kanawha river is on the left.Many,many pics are taken there.

Actually, he probably didn't miss much. I was at the falls, Cathedral Falls, last Sunday, Aug. 13th. With all the dry weather we've had the falls was no more than dripping wet rocks -- really disappointing. Not what we're used to seeing which is this: (taken 4/13/06) Cathedral Falls

730406-CathFalls041306.jpg.08cc9ae9930f78a6aab06eb032c78799.jpg

Sounds like a great trip. Ive been to the Gauly/new river gourge area a few times with a group of whitewater kayakers. The roads are beatiful. I will finally get to ride a bike on them in mid september. Two of us are going to leave Indiana, ride to north Georgia, arround the ashville NC, area, then take the BRP up into the area you were just in. The other rider hasnt been to either area,and is looking forward to getting away from the long straight Indiana roads. Cant wait to leave myself, Geno

Coming north on the BRP, exit it at the Northwest Trading Post. At Glenwood Springs, take NC16 north to VA16 which becomes WV16. VA16/WV16 between Marion, VA and Welch, WV is a road you won't soon forget!!! Continue on WV16 to Fayetteville (and make sure to have a slice of carrot cake there at the Cathedral Cafe!!).

Sometimes we don't appreciate what we have in our own back yards. I live in Charleston, WV and ride US60/WV16 often. Here's a must-see that's about 25 miles east of the 60/16 intersection in Gauley Bridge. Enjoy!

730559-BMW-RT-Small.jpg.457940f1f67516ddcb1f288d6100cdeb.jpg

Archived