IGNORED

Which Version Of Metzeler Z6 for R1200RT?

Got2Greys

I want to install Metzeler Z6's on my 2005 R1200RT. Some forums state there are two versions of the rear tire (Size 180/55ZR17) - one for bikes of less than 935 lbs GVWR and one for bikes over 935 lbs GVWR.

Which one is the correct tire for my RT and what is the part number?

I had a similar question when I purchased some Conti Road Attacks. After I placed an order, I found a web-site that listed a variation of the same tire which had a harder rubber compound(for heavier bikes like the LT).

The guy I placed the order with said either tire would work; the tire with harder rubber may last longer, but I'd get less grip when mounted on a lighter bike.

I ran the Z6's on my ST (for a total of c12k miles:-two sets) and whilst the mileage was reasonable at 5.5k, they made the bike handle terrible when they got out of profile and towards the end of their life, thus in reality I got maybe 3.5k of good running from them.

I switched to Bridgestone BT020 and they ran for the same mileage and handling remained crisp from start to finish. Thus, I shan't be putting Z6's anywhere near my bike again.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but may give you an alternative option for tyres that have been tried & tested on a 'similar' machine. Most of my riding is solo.

I had similar issues with Z6's on my R1200RT. But I felt they have never felt as good as the BT020's I used to fit to my R1100RT. I also found the Z6's to be noisy at very mild lean and on high speed sweeping corners I would get a vibration through the bike. I changed them at 12000km - the probably had 2000km left in them but with winter coming I changed them early for the BT020's.

I find the BT020's every bit as good on the R12RT as the R11RT. Excellent grip both wet and dry. Time will tell if I can get the 14000km life I got with them on the R11RT.

aggieengineer

The Dennis Kirk catalog lists an "OEM Code" of "C" for the tire. There seem to be two other versions. If people are sometimes being sold the wrong version for their bike, that could explain why some like 'em and some hate 'em.

If it's important enough to make bike-specific tires, the manufacturers should publish the information necessary to make the correct choice. Good luck.

I had the same question last week when I was ordering Z6's for my 05 RT. The difference I see between the general replacement tire and the OEM replacement is the amount of rubber on the tire itself. The OEM seems to have deeper tread down the center of the tire. A riding buddy has new OEM's on his K1200S and I recall when I looked at them the depth of tread in the center. I ordered the general replacement not knowing and the tread depth appears to be not as deep. My .02

I received a reply on another forum where I posted this same question. Here it is:

"Code K on the front (120/70ZR17) and Code C on the rear. You can go to the Parts Unlimited catalog on line (but you can't buy directly...just thru dealers) and see what tires fit what, etc. A great resource when you are looking stuff up at home before you get to the dealer."

I wonder if the people who have experienced bad handling with the Z6 had the incorrect model installed.

I am replacing the Bridgestone 020 tires that were the original equipment tires when I purchased the bike last July. I have 7,000 miles (11,300 km) on them and the front tire is cupping and the rear tire is down to the wear bar indicator. I check tire pressure before every ride, so these tires have been well maintained.

I had Metzeler 880's on my R1200C and they made the bike handle like a sport bike. Bridgestones were previously on this bike, as well.

The Z6's can't be all bad. They won the Motorrad tire competition test. I will report on my experience after I install them.

Are these codes actually on the tires themselves? My bike came with Dunlops, but have since replaced front and rear with Z6s. I have no idea what "codes" they are.

John Bentall

The R1200RT uses a common tyre size that can be fitted to everything from a Yamaha R6 600 sports bike to a fully laden RT. The code are basically weight or duty codes. There can be changes to carcass construction and tread depth between the various codes.

marcopolo....... Dunlops?? on a Canadian '06 RT???

All the Canadian "06 RT's I've seen had Z6's on them mine included.

What gives??

marcopolo....... Dunlops?? on a Canadian '06 RT???

All the Canadian "06 RT's I've seen had Z6's on them mine included.

What gives??

Besides the Dunlop D220s that mine had (Feb 06 production/Apr 06 delivery), I've also seen bikes in the showroom (CDN '06s) with Michelin Pilot Roads, and the Z6s like yours has. I believe they also can come with Continental Road Attacks, and Bridgestones. Check the US BMW website and they'll show 5 different brands of tires for the RT. Can't see any reason why CDN bikes would be any different. I think it just depends what brand of tire is on the line the day your bike is built. When was yours built, and where'd you buy it? I bought mine in Montreal.

Are these codes actually on the tires themselves? My bike came with Dunlops, but have since replaced front and rear with Z6s. I have no idea what "codes" they are.

I guess I just answered my own question -- by checking my tires. The rear indeed has a very prominent "C" (between the "Z6" and "Steel Radial" on the sidewall). The front tire was blank, i.e., no code at all in that space. I got the rear at a BMW dealer in Colorado. I got the front locally at a multi-brand shop (that does not sell BMWs), because I had a $500 credit for the store (long story).

I bought a set of Z6 after buying a new RT 1200 last March.

I had to return the rear tire as it was the wrong Z6.

Dealer called Metzeler to determine which version to use as there was an error in chart. Hope they got it right.Rear is a C front a K.

Note that my RT has Dunlopps D220. Now at 6K kms+ (4K miles)they have become extremely noisy with just a few degrees of lean just like they did on my ST 1300. Can't wait to run the Metzelers. They were great tires on the Honda - comfort, traction and directional stability (needed on the ST) were much improved.

Interesting, if you go to the tire fitment chart at Metzeler's website (see link below), you'll find for the R1200RT that it shows a "C" code for the rear, but no code for the front. You'd think if anyone knew it would be Metzeler, or have they made an error on their website? For those who had Z6s from the factory, was the front a code "K"?

http://www.metzelermoto.com/tyres/fitmen...amp;IMAGE1.y=10

When was yours built, and where'd you buy it? I bought mine in Montreal.

The build date was March 06. The bike was purchased at BMW Durham in Whitby, Ontario.

It is a red bike, maybe that's why the red ones are faster?? eek.gif

The poor performing Z6's I had on my R1200RT were original equipment so I can only assume they were the correct model for the bike.

Archived