IGNORED

10 mins from home: arriving at a motorcycle crash/burn

Effervescent

Effervescent

Not 100% sure if this is the correct forum...here's "the rest of the story" behind my recent search for race boots.

1421.jpg

Riding home at 1AM, I am about 5-10 minutes from my house. I notice two sportsbikes merging onto the highway from another entrance.

Appears they are the last of a rather large pack of sportsbikes (over 50 of them). There are speeding, though not insanely fast.

A minute or so later, I then pass on the shoulder". It's late, I'm tired, I'm almost home, motorcyclist privilege, whatever. Then I see there is a fire. I think to myself, "Damn, car fire. Haven't seen one of those in about a year." As I get closer, I see a sea of motorcyclists, off their bikes, milling about in a frenzy. "Oh sh_t."

It's a motorcycle on fire, it has slammed into the rock facade of the overpass in the picture. It's all very dramatic. The operator in see a flood of brakelights. Traffic is stopped on the highway. I say to myself, "I'll just sneak up to the accident lying in the slow lane, not moving. He's dead, I figure. Helmet still on.

I pull over on the left shoulder. Traffic is stopped. Turn my bike off, open up systemcase and take out my fire extinguisher. I'm not sure it will put out the bike, but what the eff. By the time I get to the right shoulder, his buddy's have already yanked off his helmet (a no-no...EMS does that) and each grabbed a leg/arm and dragged (he's really big) down the should away from the fire. I think they think it's gonna blow. Too many Holliwood movies. I can tell the tank has ruptured and that it's about as big as it's gonna get. In my mind, I'm concerned about the brushfire spreading. I fire up the extingusher and...blam...nothing happens. It's years old and completely discharged. Ugh. I turn my attention to the 15 odd Persian-looking guys screaming in a language I have never heard before try to tend to their buddy. They are splashing water on him, lifting both his legs in the air, the whole nine yards. Everything you aren't supposed to do. They are not listening to a word I say. A Carribean woman appears in scrubs and I think "Finally, a Doctor". Then she starts advising them to fing food to give him. Oy.

Oddly, his full face helmet didn't have a scratch on it. His jeans held up, his Timberlands went flying off. Not sure if he had a jacket, as his buddy pretty much stripped him naked. He had a little road rash on his forearms, blood coming from his chin, and his right foot did this neat trick where the sole of his foot was facing his head. Instead of aligning like the letter "L" with his calf, it more resembles the letter "J". I nearly threw up. The only movement I saw from him was his eye opening once or twice. Like I said I am pretty sure he was toast.

A guy who pulled over in his car (many did) picks me outta the crowd of about 100 now and tells me that I have to be very careful. He's repeating it like a mantra, no exaggeration.

I leave once EMS and Troopers appears. I ask one of the Trooper to help me back to the other shoulder (traffic had started back up). He stops traffic and say, "Come on, Buddy". I rode home and couldn't sleep that night. Couldn't get the image of his completely eff'ed ankle outta my mind.

-Eff

Hi,

Not a pretty site the first time you see body parts out of position.

I have unfortunately seen way too many.

ATGATT(all the gear,all the time) may have helped,but the best gear in the world may not have prevented injury in blunt force trauma,such as that rider experienced.

JR356

A scene like that (just before bedtime) would guarantee me a sleepless night. I've read about two other local mc crashes in the last few days here in the NYC metro area, I hope that's the last ...

A Carribean woman appears in scrubs and I think "Finally, a Doctor". Then she starts advising them to fing food to give him. Oy.

I'm speechless eek.gif ...

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

DANG, Eff! What an experience! frown.gif

It must have been very traumatic to witness all that. I'm very grateful to you for stopping to help and even more impressed that you even carry a fire extinguisher on your bike--kudos to you! I miss those little Halon extinguishers I used to carry in my vehicles--they put out a LOT of fire from a very small container. bncry.gif

Regarding the rest of the chaotic scene, one of the things people get the most out of attending classes like Accident Scene Management's "Crash Course for the Motorcyclist" or the Motorcyclist First Responder classes I've been teaching, is not only what TO do to best help a downed cyclist, but also what NOT to do. Armed with that knowledge you can sometimes help best by preventing other well intentioned yet dangerously uninformed bystanders from causing more problems. It sounds like you've already got some good training in this area, but someone "in scrubs" could be a dental assistant or hospital janitorial staff who is going to stay at a Holiday Inn. I've had "Doctors" show up on some of my scenes that are every bit as "helpful" in a pre-hospital trauma situation as anyone else off the street. Most medical people specialize so much nowadays, or it's been so many years since their schooling that it's not always a given that they will have much more practical, helpful knowledge than some lay motorcyclist fresh out of a training specifically for handling a situation like this.

Good job and I hope the graphic images fade quickly from your memory. frown.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Wow. That's awful, Eff. Most of the kids I see with the hiking boots on don't have them tied...seems it the fashion to have them completely loose. I'd think that laced up boots would not have come flying off. Either way, I hope his buddies didn't exasperate the situation by trying to help him.

Effervescent

Come to think of it, the boots were off and still laced...rather loosely.

After two nights of little/no sleep (very uncommon for me), I finally passed out last night. When I woke up I felt like I was in a deep coma.

Gonna drive by tonight to see if there are flowers out. That how I figure I'll know if he made it or not.

-Eff

Effervescent
Accident Scene Management's "Crash Course for the Motorcyclist" or the Motorcyclist First Responder classes I've been teaching, is not only what TO do to best help a downed cyclist, but also what NOT to do.

I'm gonna look into those classes.

-Eff

Regarding the rest of the chaotic scene, one of the things people get the most out of attending classes like Accident Scene Management's "Crash Course for the Motorcyclist" or the Motorcyclist First Responder classes I've been teaching, is not only what TO do to best help a downed cyclist, but also what NOT to do. Armed with that knowledge you can sometimes help best by preventing other well intentioned yet dangerously uninformed bystanders from causing more problems.

Jamie brings up something I have been pondering for a few weeks. I picked up a little orange sticker to put on your helmet that states

"DANGER!!!! Don't Risk Paralysis DO NOT REMOVE HELMET UNTIL EXAMINED BY A DOCTOR OR EMT"

It is issued by the Washington Motorcycle Safety Program. I have not put it on my helmet yet, as I am not sure I agree with it.

Having just completed a First Aid Course for my job, I know that if I am involved in an accident and should stop breathing, I would certainly want the first person on the scene to perform CPR as long as they knew what they were doing. Every second is life or death if you are not breathing. But statisically, CPR kills more people than it saves, this is because it is preformed when the patient is still breathing and didn't need CPR.

So the proper First Aid would be to only remove helmet if victim is not breathing.

Unfortunately, some people will take it off immediately, and others have been taught to NEVER remove the helmet.

Perhaps I just need a sticker that says leave helmet on unless I'm dead. That's when you need to do CPR. crazy.gif

There's a bit of an instructor shortage in the northeast (1 in NY, 2 in MA). The next instructor class is in October, and those are only offered in Wisconsin, at the students expense.

I have approached Cliff's (in Danbury), and they are very interested in hosting a class, however I'm not "certified" as an instructor at this point, so we're sort of stuck.

I will post here when we manage to get a class in southern New England.

You did well, Eff. Sorry this is haunting you. FWIW, you'll remember this for a long time--I've had a couple of similar experiences in my lifetime and you just can't get rid of the images. frown.gif

Anyway, just a couple notes on accident scene management. A lot of people--police and EMS types included--die at accident scenes because they forget to protect themselves in the heat of the moment. You add to the the fact that many motorists will blow by an accident scene at high speed, and the potential for more mayhem is apparent.

Before you do anything--get off your bike, render first aid, wave down traffic, etc.--take a few seconds to take in the whole picture before you act. Are there vehicles approaching? Has there been a fuel spill? Is the victim in danger of further injury or can you leave him where he's at? Once you've gone through a total assessment of the environment, only then should you think about actually rendering aid. The bottom line is that you need to maintain your cool, lest you become a victim yourself.

Do's and Don'ts:

It's a whole lot more complicated than that: There are so many variables, so the general is:

1. Protect yourself first.

2. Prevent further injury to the already injured

3. Prevent injury to the bystanders

4. Once the "scene is safe", then you can continue on to providing actual care.

AdventurePoser

In my former life, I saw more than a few feet separated from ankle by the violence of a motorcycle crash. It is truly an awful sight...I hope the image fades gradually from your mind, my friend.

Steve in So Cal

Joe Frickin' Friday

Awesome. Thanks much for this link. I've read a web page on accident scene management before (here), but I think a lot more would sink in in a classroom setting. I'm going to see if I can get into one of the classes here in Michigan. thumbsup.gif

Hey Eff,

I hear ya loud and clear, Getting that image out of your head will take time. In April of this year I rolled up on a head-on involving a Harley Sportster and a Buick, Not a pretty sight. Young rider goes wide in turn collides with cage, No helmet, Sneakers, foot in same position as you describe. Luckily nurse or doctor was at the scene coordinating care for rider.

It took awhile the image does fade away. Until you read a thread like this and it all comes rushing back. "We are the sum of are life experiences."

Any EMTs on the board that can give us a list of do's and don'ts?

Here's a quickie from the classes I've been teaching (there's some California specific stuff regarding the CHP which you'll need to explore in your local jurisdiction to see if the same problems exist):

CHECK:

First, park your own bike in a safe location, dismount safely and secure your gear.

Is the scene safe for everyone in the group including the downed rider(s)?

Are flaggers at either end of the crash site to slow/warn traffic (especially on curves)?

Are there any other immediate threats: wires down, spilled gas, fire?

Do you need to move rider(s) out of traffic if scene can not be controlled safely?

Is the rider(s) injured?

Are they breathing/moving/conscious/moving arms/legs?

How many injured riders are there?

What is the severity of their injuries?

Do you need air medical transport?

Where exactly are you (find intersections, mile markers, GPS waypoints)?

CALL

A hard wired phone is always preferred unless it is too inconvenient--this will always go to your local dispatch center for Police, Fire and Emergency Medical Services (EMS). Cell phones in San Diego do NOT go to your closest most appropriate one but to the regional CHP dispatch center-- which is woefully overworked and understaffed. With the recent explosion in cell phone use you could wait on hold for 5-20 minutes or more waiting for a dispatcher. Landlines relay exact location automatically--cell phone calls do not have that yet (but we hear it's coming) and the CHP will have NO IDEA where you are. Give as accurate a location as you can, give your call back number and answer any questions the dispatcher has, be the last to hang up. You may need to send runners/riders to call from landlines or to get to an area with cell service. Put the emergency Fire/EMS dispatch centers direct line phone numbers of your local/favorite riding areas in YOUR cell phone to avoid delays with CHP.

Confirm that help has been summoned (tell the runner to check back) or send someone else.

CARE

Do not remove the rider's helmet unless they are not breathing or there is facial trauma/bleeding.

Manually stabilize the rider's head, neck and spine in line and keep them still.

Professional rescuers will want to remove the helmet and will want to see it's condition (preferably in place).

Is the rider(s) still breathing?

Do you see any uncontrolled bleeding?

Is the rider(s) still conscious?

Does he/she remember the event or name, location, date?

Is the rider asking the same question(s) over and over?

Get the rider's personal/medical information for EMS (before they lose consciousness).

Give them nothing to eat or drink.

Keep them lying down and calm.

Elevate their feet about 6-10 inches.

If it's hot keep them cool/if it's cool keep them warm (maintain normal body temp).

If you have time, check for other injuries.

Get contact info for rider's family and call if they want you to.

If unconscious, check rider's cell phonebook for "ICE" numbers (In Case of Emergency)

Get names/numbers of witnesses to the accident and make a copy for the police and rider.

Be careful what you say to witnesses on scene or to police. Be honest, but don't volunteer unfounded theories or speculate.

Follow up and check on them later (if appropriate). They may really appreciate your help, your understanding and your compassion during a difficult time.

Woodie:

I'm seriously considering attending that training and getting into this business as a side job. I love teaching this stuff, but I can't continue travelling all over doing this so frequently for free, unfortunately crazy.gif ). I've got the dates blocked right now, and am looking into the tax ramifications of starting a second career. confused.gif

Let me know if you're going to go too and we'll try to hook up! wave.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Jamie, it is easy to say, or write down on a list what should be done...... but one who keeps their cool while bodies are strewn.............priceless

Now, trained individuals on the other hand can help until the professionals arrive. I have happend upon things occasionally and have responded with a level head. Even helped one of our members after a crash... I have no training, but do posess common sense and a Boy Scout ability to help. I need training...or a refresher course..

I picked up a little orange sticker to put on your helmet that states

"DANGER!!!! Don't Risk Paralysis DO NOT REMOVE HELMET UNTIL EXAMINED BY A DOCTOR OR EMT"

It is issued by the Washington Motorcycle Safety Program. I have not put it on my helmet yet, as I am not sure I agree with it.

I have talked to many people who think that everyone else thinks one way or the other: namely, if you don't get the helmet off they'll surely die, or if you take the helmet off they'll surely be paralysed. confused.gif

I think every situation is different, but normally there is no compelling reason to remove the helmet and if done, it should be done very carefully. As you are likely not properly trained in the safest way to do it and you need equally trained help to do it in the safeset way for the rider you take a risk taking it off. Consider then that ideally you still need to maintain cervical stabilization by holding the rider's head inline with your hands--which is usually much easier to do by holding their helmet (though some would counter that that leaves the rider too much leeway to move his/her head inside the helmet). While anything you do will carry the potential for risk to the rider you have to weigh the risks vs the benefits to the rider in considering your actions. Remember to do no harm and do only what you've been trained to do (don't try some McGuyver-esque trick you saw on TV involving a penknife and a ball-point pen blush.gif ). If the integrity of the helmet is severely compromised, there is uncontrolled bleeding or the rider is having airway/breathing problems, then yes, it is probably better to try to carefully remove it. Remember, problems with a clear airway, adequate breathing, and uncontrolled bleeding (as well as shock) are immediately life threatening. If the rider is not seriously injured they will likely still want to get that helmet off themselves. You would serve them best by explaining the risks of cervical spine injury and the possibility of nerve damage, paralysis up to and including death and then let them do what they want to do. It's not worth getting into a fight with them over it either. tongue.gif

Having just completed a First Aid Course for my job, I know that if I am involved in an accident and should stop breathing, I would certainly want the first person on the scene to perform CPR as long as they knew what they were doing. Every second is life or death if you are not breathing. But statisically, CPR kills more people than it saves, this is because it is preformed when the patient is still breathing and didn't need CPR.

I would question the "statistics" on this one. I don't know of any data that supports the conclusion that CPR kills more people than it saves. CPR, while somewhat invasive, is the only hope for someone who has sustained a life threatening event. You might be able to make the case for a traumatic CPR situation (being very different from a medical CPR situation), but considering that if my heart has stopped because I've just bounced off a bridge abutment at 100+ mph, then you probably couldn't hurt me much worse if you protected my spine in the process. That said, if the speed was much less--I'd forgive you for trying to do the right thing and initiating CPR compressions in case I'm actually still lying there apparently lifeless due to the heart attack that just caused me to crash and I'm otherwise not that badly injured. tongue.gif

The latest data from dozens of studies of tens of thousands of CPR cases has shown that early and PROPER CPR is EVEN MORE important than we thought even recently--and we've always placed a high priority on it. Even with Paramedics on so many more First Responder vehicles now (Fire Engines and Ambulances)--without GOOD, EARLY and CONSISTENT BYSTANDER/First Responder CPR, all the "magic" electricity (defibrillators) and "wonder drugs" (i.e. epinephrine/adrenaline and lidocaine, etc.) will do nothing if there is no viable heart there to save because the individual cardiac cells are devoid of oxygen. THAT is the most important factor and THAT is achieved by GOOD CPR. Last month our protocols were re-written to place much more emphasis on CPR--over intubation, over defibrillation (electricity), even over I.V access to give introvenous medications. Do it immediately, do it fast and deep and DO NOT STOP for more than 10 seconds. And the trial changes have borne out the data even locally. I don't remember the exact numbers, but San Diego's pre-hospital Cardiac Arrest save rates have gone up from somewhere around 5% to 30% and that is VERY statistically SIGNIFICANT! eek.gif

Part of the changes in Public Education CPR is due to the fact that lay rescuers--even many trained professional rescuers--are pretty lousy at finding pulses. So the logic is go ahead and start CPR. Believe me, no matter how drunk I am and passed out on the floor--if you start thumping on my chest 100+ times a minute, compressing my chest a GOOD 2 inches--if I DON'T need it, you'll find out pretty dang quick! And If I don't at least start moving around and showing some "signs of life", or even get up and clock you one, well, chances are I probably needed the help! You've already called 911, right? Let the Paramedics figure out why I'm still unconscious. wink.gif

(Sorry, Eff for the continued hijack. wave.gif )

Jamie, it is easy to say, or write down on a list what should be done...... but one who keeps their cool while bodies are strewn.............priceless

Now, trained individuals on the other hand can help until the professionals arrive. I have happend upon things occasionally and have responded with a level head. Even helped one of our members after a crash... I have no training, but do posess common sense and a Boy Scout ability to help. I need training...or a refresher course..

Very true--and this is why I have chosen my path. I found I had the ability to keep my head while all around were losing theirs. eek.gifwink.gif

But--even if you're not the sort of person who would feel comfortable getting "down and dirty" yourself, just getting some training will tell you what should best be done--or just as often NOT be done. Even if you're only comfortable yelling, "Hey! Don't just yank that helmet off! Hold his/her head still until help gets here!" . . . from a safe distance off the road--you've still possibly saved the rider(s) from spending the rest of their life in a wheelchair if not outright saved their life. eek.gif

You might just be of most help by protecting the scene (waving down traffic from a safe location), looking out for other riders on scene (safety officer! wink.gif ), or going for help--all are equally important. But the most personal advantage of training is KNOWING what should happen--whether or not you or anyone else is comfortable "in charge of the scene". What I hear over and over is the frustration voiced by other riders of NOT KNOWING what to do when the shit has already hit the fan. Everyone always MEANS to take a CPR class or a First Aid Class or prepare their house better for an emergency, but somehow they never get around to it until they are faced with the horror and then kick themselves afterwards. I teach Disaster Preparedness courses through work and it's always interesting to poll the participants why they're there. It's always those who have LIVED through some sort of disaster: earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, or other natural disaster. The rest of the population are happily sitting at home thinking: "This is just stuff I see on TV. It'll never happen to me!" tongue.gif

These extreme experiences are fortunately statistically rare, but unfortunately for us, if you ride for any number of years, for any distance at all in populated areas or in even small groups: the odds are that you're going to personally experience someone in your group, on your favorite road or somewhere else you're travelling, sprawled out on the asphalt, off in the weeds or over the side. Will you know what to do? And will you then wish you had informed yourself better before now?

At least knowing what best to do and then just doing only what you're comfortable doing, you can at least then walk away knowing you did what you could and take comfort in knowing that what you DID do was at least helpful and not harmful. The rest of the outcome is not in your hands--but being haunted by a guilty conscience sucks. frown.gif

I recommend printing out the checklist above and putting it in your first aid kit you carry on your bike and in your car to refer to when the dust is still flying to remind yourself of the priorities and keep yourself and your group safe.

Ooooh, sorry!

[/soapbox] dopeslap.gif

Agent_Orange

I think the statistic about CPR referes to CPR being done on a victum that has sustained a traumatic cardiac arrest. This is NOT to be confused with an arrest caused by an arrythmia.

In 29 years on the street I NEVER heard of, or had a victum survive a traumatic arrest with CPR.

Of course there were many other factors in each case.

With no other alternative, do it.

Jamie - Great information listed above. Thanks. thumbsup.gif

I picked up a little orange sticker to put on your helmet that states

It is issued by the Washington Motorcycle Safety Program. quote]

]But statisically, CPR kills more people than it saves, this is because it is preformed when the patient is still breathing and didn't need CPR.[/b]

I would question the "statistics" on this one. I don't know of any data that supports the conclusion that CPR kills more people than it saves.

Would you recommend wearing this sticker on your helmet, or not having it and taking your chances with the First Responders assesment of the situation?

confused.gif

I have no idea where my Instructor got this data, but he threw out some pretty amazing numbers with it. The Instructor had some pretty good credentials, one time EMT Batallion Chief of LA County or something.

I tend to believe everything I'm told too! dopeslap.gif

As Agent_Orange mentioned traumatic CPR is almost never successful in the field. The myriad reasons that someone's heart has stopped due to a severe trauma situation will not likely be rectified by mere chest compressions--there is likely a fatal problem with one or more of the body's systems. With some "Mechanisms Of Injury", even had the accident happened outside the door of the local trauma center, the body can only absorb so much kinetic energy before vital parts of the body's delicate balancing act are damaged beyond repair. That said, CPR is the bystander's only hope of saving any rider who is apparently lifeless. If they are indeed beyond saving, your good CPR will not do them any additional harm and when the medics arrive they can at least have the best chance of saving them if they are at all saveable. They will be able to take a look at the heart's electrical signals to see if the pump itself is still running the proper program. If the hardware/plumbing system has also crashed it is incapable of doing it's job and they will likely "pronounce the patient deceased" on scene after doing everything they can.

The previous information you received may just be now out of date or it may be inaccurate for any number of other reasons, but I would never withhold CPR from any loved one of mine or fellow rider until I'm convinced they are truly beyond saving. As a rider at the last UnRally told me of rolling up on a fellow downed rider from our group and extricating him from being wedged head first under a fence with his head tucked under in a compromised position, his quick thinking and intervention to open this rider's airway--even at the risk of not adequately protecting his cervical spine--likely saved his life. I've only got a few bona fide "saves" under my belt myself, and the way he described the events I would call that a save. The alternative of course, is to keep on riding, or just stand idly by for fear of getting involved while a fellow rider slowly suffocates and dies.

Would you recommend wearing this sticker on your helmet, or not having it and taking your chances with the First Responders assesment of the situation?

confused.gif

Based on what I've learned about well intentioned would-be rescuers like those that Eff has described above I would rather have it there than not. If I'm unconscious, I've likely sustained a severe head trauma. That comes with the high likelihood of a cervical spine injury and I would rather any bystanders just hold my helmeted head in-line and as still as they can while making sure I'm breathing and make sure professional help is on the way.

Effervescent

I searched and searched but couldn't find any obituary or funeral date. Or mention of him online.

If anyone is able to, I would appreciate it if you PM'ed the info to me. I would like to attend if it hasn't happened yet. It happened on the Southern State Parkway on Long Island in Nassau County on 8/13/06. His name is spelled Umair Ejaz.

Thanks,

-Eff

Hey Eff, glad you found that. It can be good to have closure to such a traumatic experience. I am sorry you missed the funeral.

S

lawnchairboy

"The latest data from dozens of studies of tens of thousands of CPR cases has shown that early and PROPER CPR is EVEN MORE important than we thought even recently--and we've always placed a high priority on it. Even with Paramedics on so many more First Responder vehicles now (Fire Engines and Ambulances)--without GOOD, EARLY and CONSISTENT BYSTANDER/First Responder CPR, all the "magic" electricity (defibrillators) and "wonder drugs" (i.e. epinephrine/adrenaline and lidocaine, etc.) will do nothing if there is no viable heart there to save because the individual cardiac cells are devoid of oxygen. THAT is the most important factor and THAT is achieved by GOOD CPR. Last month our protocols were re-written to place much more emphasis on CPR--over intubation, over defibrillation (electricity), even over I.V access to give introvenous medications. Do it immediately, do it fast and deep and DO NOT STOP for more than 10 seconds. And the trial changes have borne out the data even locally. I don't remember the exact numbers, but San Diego's pre-hospital Cardiac Arrest save rates have gone up from somewhere around 5% to 30% and that is VERY statistically SIGNIFICANT!"

I am an ACLS instructor... above comments are 100% spot on.

Does anyone know how Umair Ejaz (the rider that was killed)hit the wall? Did he just run into the gaurd rail and flip over it? Looking at the picture it is hard to figure out what happen.

Effervescent

I have called and emailed the guys. Waiting to hear back. Will ask about any memorial services, and will ask for any details they wanna share.

But I believe the bike jumped the divider and crashed into the wall. I suspect he just landed in the street slide and twisted his neck/back. Maybe hit the divider and went back into the street. Barring the ankle, he wasn't too "chewed up".

It's looks like, from the website pics, he was riding a Kawi ZX-14. A lotta bike for a 20 year old, IMHO. :/

-Eff

1423.jpg

So, he was just 20 years old.

-Eff

Damn, that's SO sad. bncry.gif

I hate rolling on these sorts of calls and I've been on dozens of them being surrounded by military bases. It's always some young, healthy kid in the prime of his life who's got a "tiger by the tail" and when the huge angry beast turns on him, the bite is so often fatal. frown.gif

May Allah bless him and comfort those he leaves behind. bncry.gif

Effervescent

So I got through to one of the riders. Here's what I learned:

a) I misssed the memorial which was today,

b) he died one hour after the accident,

c) he died of spinal cord injury and internal bleeding,

d) appears to have been a single vehicle accident,

e) they don't really know what happened. They were all riding side-by-side and no one saw the actual accident happen.

-Eff

By the time I get to the right shoulder, his buddys have already yanked off his helmet (a no-no...EMS does that) and each grabbed a leg/arm and dragged [him] (he's really big) down the should[er] away from the fire.

c) he died of spinal cord injury and internal bleeding,

I can't help but think of the emotional trauma to all his riding buddies. They will likely be haunted by this for many years to come. bncry.gif

Eff, thanks for doing what you could, for your obvious care and concern, and for keeping us informed. Healing thoughts to you as well, my brother.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Eff,

My thoughts are with you. We've been talking motorcycles for a long time now, and we've never had to deal with one of these. My closest was Big-T and the deer on the Blue Ridge. That was bad enough, and he rode the bike to a stop.

Sylva and I send our prayers for your recovery from this event.

Mark

It's looks like, from the website pics, he was riding a Kawi ZX-14. A lotta bike for a 20 year old, IMHO.
My first ambulance call was a motorcycle fatality. A 20 yr old on a KZ1000 (it was 1981). He and his buddy were racing down a two lane road in town when they came upon a T intersection. Buddy 1 is able to stop before crossing the road. Buddy 2 crosses the road and smacks into a metal gate blocking the entrance to a little park (one of those 3" dia metal bars that swings across the driveway). The Z stopped, he didn't.

My partner & I get the call while we're at the ambulance barn practicing CPR so our response time was about 2 minutes. We're doing CPR on him when his aorta explodes and that's all she wrote (every time I did a compression my partner got a faceful of blood spraying up at him). Found out later that except for the traumatic chest injury which he got by slamming into a tree on his way down the hill, he only had a broken ankle.

The M.E. came & pronounced him. We're packing up the rig and he's still at the bottom of the hill and his buddy wants to know why we haven't taken him to the hospital. Cops told him his friend was dead and he just freaked, lost his dinner, etc. I always wondered if he ever rode again.

As a cyclist it was a sucky way to start out on the volunteer ambulance.

Jim

Effervescent

Here's what I've done since witnessing it:

1) Told every motoryclist I personally know about it,

2) placed a new, much larger fire extinguisher in my saddlebag,

3) Ordered Sidi Corsa race boot (my Daytona lacked any serious ankle protection)

4) Ordered a full-torso protector vest that is approximately CE-3. $136 shipped: http://www.fourwinds.net/engcloth/tp2005.html

5) Had a heart-to-heart with my mother about the whole "if I happen to go this way, I will have gone doing what I loved"

6) Added three large 3M reflective triangles to the back of my Schuberth

-Eff

Archived