IGNORED

We're Goin' to West Virginia!

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

I just got in from WV. The scouting trip went well. Sometimes you just need to set your feet on the ground. It was very well worth going down.

Sylva and I had found the motel and camp ground that were within walking distance in Fayetteville, WV. I inspected the motel, which is great. (Kind of reminds me of Cherokee, NC minus the rocking chairs.) Then I looked at the camp ground. All of this in a pouring rain. The camp was acceptable.

I came back the next day and talked to the group manager at the hotel, then started to ride to the camp ground again to inspect the cabins. Well, in between the hotel and the previously identified campground was another one. An awesome one. Right across the road from the motel. The entrance to the camp ground is line of sight to the motel.

This new camp ground doesn't show up in a search for camp grounds on either Google Maps or Yahoo Maps.

I got a complete tour of the facility and it's great.

So, barring any major snafu in the final negotiations.... We're goin' to West Virginia!

Some highlights:

Lots of cabins, from primitive ones, to ones with inside plumbing. Smallest cabin sleeps 2. The largest one sleeps 10+.

There are platform tents with bunk beds, for those who don't want to haul tents.

There's lots of tent camping that is covered with trees.

They have an on site bar/lodge with free pool, foos ball, horse shoes, and corn hole. They also have close circuit video on which they will allow us to play motorcycle videos if we want. I figure we can do a RidingSmart on Monday then the whole board can do the critique over the course of the week. ;)

They have a food pavilion and they do breakfast and dinner every night.

There is a restaurant onsite that can seat 150. Good beers on tap, and more in the bottle, and a wine list with 35 wines and growing. The menu also looks very nice.

Across the street with the hotel is a gas station, beer, wine and liquor shop, as well as a Dairy Queen.

The camp ground offers river rafting, rock climbing, atv rentals, and horse back riding. I know that our people will be mostly interested in riding, but if someone wants a day out of the saddle there is plenty to do. Myself I think I'm going to try the rafting just for fun.

UnMap.jpg

I'm really excited about all of this. The trip was well worth it. Funny thing is I rode past this camp ground once, and Todd rode past it last month.

Later,

Mark

Joe Frickin' Friday

How's the riding in the area? I was at Mayhem last year, based in Parkersburg (about 90 miles NW of Fayetteville). Shawn and I rode down to Fayetteville and the NRG bridge; it was a good ride down and back (and likely would make a good ride for folks starting in Fayetteville), but I don't know what else is in other directions from Fayetteville.

This sounds like an ideal set up. I'm glad that you guys are excited about it!

Have you given any consideration to timing it so that it falls near the National? The National runs July 12 to 15. It's about 700 to 750 miles away from Fayetteville. The week before wouldn't work since it would fall across July 4th weekend. The week after would work, the next Monday being the 17th.

This may not be that big a deal but several at Cody were happy about the proximity to that year's National.

On the other hand, June seems to be a better weather month. July is only slighty hotter but has higher humidity and more precipitation on the average.

Here are some factoids about Fayetteville

Here's a site for motorcycle roads.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
How's the riding in the area? I was at Mayhem last year, based in Parkersburg (about 90 miles NW of Fayetteville). Shawn and I rode down to Fayetteville and the NRG bridge; it was a good ride down and back (and likely would make a good ride for folks starting in Fayetteville), but I don't know what else is in other directions from Fayetteville.

OK, I just got done writing a long detailed reply, but took too long and on hitting the back button it's gone.

The riding is good. I did about 300 miles plus in two days in WV. I found one road I wouldn't do again, and sections of another we would route around. I found others I can't wait to get back and ride. Here are a few quick ones: SR-15 between US-219 and SR-20, SR-55 between SR-20 and US-219, US-60 east of Fayetteville, SR-16 north of Fayetteville, US-219 south of US-250 down to a bit north of US-60 is great. There's also a lot more to discover down there.

Take a look at this page, which has several possible routes I did. (Please don't give the link to that page out, as it isn't linked to from any public page.) Give the links some time to load, because the Yahoo Maps software has to recalc the route.

In short, I think the riding will be great, and when combined with the proximity of the camp ground and motel for socializing it's going to make for a great Un.

Later,

Mark

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
This sounds like an ideal set up. I'm glad that you guys are excited about it!

I am excited. Going there was the best thing I could have done. We wouldn't have found the camp ground we're going to use without going there.

Have you given any consideration to timing it so that it falls near the National? The National runs July 12 to 15. It's about 700 to 750 miles away from Fayetteville. The week before wouldn't work since it would fall across July 4th weekend. The week after would work, the next Monday being the 17th.

Sylva and I have been batting around dates. We're thinking later due to things already being booked for dates during the summer in the area. Also, with Sylva and I getting married we would like some time between our wedding and the Un for several reasons, probably the most important being that if they are too close Sylva will either be able to go on a Honeymoon with me or to the Un, but not both. blush.gif She's the low person on the totem pole at work when it comes to getting vacation time.

Here are some factoids about Fayetteville

Here's a site for motorcycle roads.

Thanks, we used the motorcycle roads site a lot to help with finding good stuff. I'm going to go over the other stuff and see what there is to learn there.

Take care,

Mark

And the Un wouldn't be your honeymoon because . . .? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Besides, that's been done to death. Well, okay, the couple wasn't actually organizing the Un, just attending. But still . . . wink.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
And the Un wouldn't be your honeymoon because . . .? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Yea... yea... go ahead and laugh... blush.gif I figure we're going to get no end of ribbing as it is with the Un so close to our wedding. It'll all be fun though. thumbsup.gif Nothing like knowing you're loved. smile.gif

OK. I'm really bad at this Internet humor thing. I'm grinning from ear to ear actually at the "idea" of making the Un our honeymoon. It's just that as an organizer of past events, in the dancing and gaming world, I just know it wouldn't really work. A motorcycle trip honeymoon would be awesome, just not one where we're unorganizing a rally.

Later,

Mark

Great job. This may well be the best Un yet. We're gonna need the weather's cooperation. But as for organizers, location, and cooperation of the establishments, I think we may have hit the jackpot.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
Great job. This may well be the best Un yet. We're gonna need the weather's cooperation. But as for organizers, location, and cooperation of the establishments, I think we may have hit the jackpot.

Fernando,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Finding a location has been the most nerve racking thing. I feel like, with the location in hand, that the rest of the Un can follow the UnEvent model. I can't tell you how much better I feel sitting here today compared to last Monday.

Mark

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
This looks like a great location. Well done!

So, does that mean you'll be there? We've never had the opporunity to meet, and it would be nice to put a face and voice to the handle.

Mark

This looks like a great location. Well done!

So, does that mean you'll be there? We've never had the opporunity to meet, and it would be nice to put a face and voice to the handle.

Mark

I never know where I'm going to be until I'm there. eek.gif However, it's going on my calendar as soon as we have a date.

Hi all,

How did I miss that campground,I went by it twice dopeslap.gif

After several hours of trying to match campgrounds and motels in Google,I had just about come to the conclusion that there must be a number of campgrounds that are not listed and the only way to find them is to ride and look.

In the future,would it be a good idea to ask board members in their travels,to keep an eye open for possible unrally locations that fit our requirements and keep them listed somewhere so the next chairperson would already have some choices instead of starting from scratch?Just an idea.

If you have any questions about the area,Looks like I will be going over there more often now to check out roads so I should be able to get an answer for you. I have ridden a lot of these roads over the years but need to refresh my memory.Like most places there are good ones and bad ones,we just need to link all the good ones.

Point of interest.

There is a one way loop road that goes to the bottom of the gorge on one side of the bridge and comes up the other side within a mile of the campground.

88222733-L.jpg

Some of those raft trips look great,but you will get wet. grin.gif

Maybe we could get a group rate ?

@big-t:...OOOOOH. We'll have to find a way to work that loop into one of the routes.

You definately shouldn't feel bad. The way Mark tells it, he missed it twice TOO. It was only the 3rd time by when he, by chance, saw RVs beyond the road that he thought, "is that another campground?"

We definately look forward to your help on routes, and thumbsup.gif for a group rafting rate. We'll work on that.

@Leslie: lmao.giflmao.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
How did I miss that campground,I went by it twice dopeslap.gif

Todd, it wouldn't be hard. Their sign doesn't mention camping. There are lots of cars parked up front for the rafting. All you can see from the road are a few RV's if they happen to have any there. I rode past it twice myself, and almost rode past it the third time. So, I can easily see how one would miss it. I'm sure we'll have some attendees ride right past it too.

In the future,would it be a good idea to ask board members in their travels,to keep an eye open for possible unrally locations that fit our requirements and keep them listed somewhere so the next chairperson would already have some choices instead of starting from scratch?Just an idea.

That's definitely an idea. Gathering tribal knowledge over time is of great value.

If you have any questions about the area,Looks like I will be going over there more often now to check out roads so I should be able to get an answer for you. I have ridden a lot of these roads over the years but need to refresh my memory.Like most places there are good ones and bad ones,we just need to link all the good ones.

Yup. I have a Delorme WV Atlas on the way. I think that will help a lot. I think we can also plan at least one more trip down there this year for me to do some scouting of roads. Also Whip has volunteered to do some scouting. He will be in south west PA, so I'm going to have him do scouting on the northern end of things.

Point of interest.

There is a one way loop road that goes to the bottom of the gorge on one side of the bridge and comes up the other side within a mile of the campground.

Ooh! That's cool. I was wondering if there was a way down into it by bike. Is it paved?

Some of those raft trips look great,but you will get wet. grin.gif

Maybe we could get a group rate ?

I would bet we can get a group rate. I will be talking to them about that. I think a group outing would be kind of cool. I know our crowd is ride ride ride, but someone might want to take a brake and try something else for fun. Then there are the ATV rentals. Can you see our hoons out for a day on ATV's! Oh the horror! wink.gif

Later,

Mark

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
We definately look forward to your help on routes, and thumbsup.gif for a group rafting rate. We'll work on that.

Yes Todd, thank you in advance for once again stepping into the role of ride scouting for another UnRally. I really really appreciate it. I sure know I wouldn't be able to do it from up here in Troy. I really look forward to working with you.

Take care,

Mark

Joe Frickin' Friday
Point of interest.

Ooh! That's cool. I was wondering if there was a way down into it by bike. Is it paved?

Yes. There is the massive NRG bridge itself, and on the north end a visitor's center with a lengthy boardwalk/stairway to a couple of overlooks. From the visitor center, you can find an eastbound road, and just keep making right turns until it heads down into the gorge, and finally across a small, low bridge that crosses just the river; a paved, twisty road then comes up the south side. Not real high speed - narrow, and poor sight lines - but an interesting and scenic distraction. Shawn and I did this at Mayhem.

Somewhere on that road on the south side is, I think, another campground/rafting facility/restaurant. Shawn and I ate lunch at the restaurant. I think this is not the campground you have indicated, but I don't know much more about it.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
As for dates...don't set the Unrally during Bridge Day.

Yea, I knew about that and we will steer clear of it. Looks like fun though.

Later,

Mark

Archived