IGNORED

Hey, Mister!! What's in that sack?

rdfrantz

Uh.... Boys, your "Dutch Uncle" has something to say.

Well, because of the "uneasiness" expressed, I cut MY vacation short and spent two days MORE in Gunnison to find out what's going on there... and expected to go on there.

I will be very frank with you. And unpopular: While I love you like brothers, sometimes you guys really piss me off.

I spent this past weekend among about three THOUSAND Harley riders, and "gangs" of all sorts, down in Red River, New Mexico. About once an hour somebody bumped into me, started me straight in the eyes, and growled, "Ain't you the guy that's riding that BMW RS?".

Blond hair, bright red jacket, and a smile, couldn't quite hide me from this "Black because it's a Harley" crowd. And "crowd" is what happened EVERY time after that question was asked. They wanted to KNOW. They wanted to know what a BMW was like, what that riding position was like, and whether it stopped like they'd heard it did.

"And ain't them R1150RTs them cops from Farmington are riddin' just BITCHIN'?"

Hell's Angels. No.

People.

THE people went about their business... and left the "other" folks alone. Just like Hell's Angels do. Just like the Sheriff said. Just like the Town Police said. Just like I said.

Keep your * hands in your pockets and you'll be fine.

"Stupid" or appropriately, New Mexico had about 50 police officers, 4 on motorcycles, 4 on bicycles, perhaps 10 parked cruisers, and the rest on shifts of walking patrols from noon till 10 PM when everybody bedded down for the night. All were either ignored, or warmly greeted as they passed by the participants.

Three THOUSAND motorcyclists. Fifty friendly police.

BUT, there IS some MIS-INFORMATION around.

I TOOK STEPS TO FIX IT.

The Sheriff sent an * Sergeant to talk to the Gunnison townfolk about the HA. He said he had word that the HA would descend upon them beginning Sunday.

Norm and Karen from the KOA told him they had BMW People coming in then.

Shithead said, "No, those are Hells Angels."

Three times, Norm and Karen told him they had spoken to nice people and they were certain they were "from BMW".

CALL THE * SHERIFF OF GUNNISON COUNTY AND INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!!!!! Explain "BMW Poeple" are coming to town and aren't there to eat their babies!!! They are coming to share Fraternity, and spend several tens of thousands of dollars to enjoy the scenery and the wonderful roads of Colorado.

I had Norm do that.

I did that.

Now it's YOUR turn.

So as to quell concerns that "my" information is "public drivel", I spoke to Officials from the perspective of LIEUTENANT GENERAL Richard Frantz.

Now, aside from "*", the surrounding counties have placed their deputies, and "special units", "On Alert". This means: They stay home, but are ready to RESPOND if called upon, as, perhaps, to help quell any disturbance that ACTUALLY might arise.

I called Colorado State Patrol, and identified myself, and expressed my own personal concerns about MY GROUP, and the presence of Hell's Angels. I was told that CSP will provide a significant presence IN GUNNISON, but will probably not have elevated patrols elsewhere. EXPANDED presence COULD take place if "they" decide to "ride around". They are expecting Hell's Angels to arrive, IN MASS, for the WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY timeframe. Earlier arrivals are expected to be "The Executives" for the club.

Feds? Hey, THEY don't carry radar guns. Or nightsticks.

My talks with VIRTUALLY ALL of the Motel owners showed WE have reserved nearly all the rooms in the town from SUNDAY TO TUESDAY. Hell's Angels have booked MOST of the rooms, BEGINNING WEDNESDAY.

There are NO Hell's Angels reserving KOA campsites... EVER.

Norm and Karen NOW have a better idea of who we are, what we like to do, HOW we do that, and how we intend to use their campground.

They agreed to set aside ALL the "Tent Camping Area", with the adjacent cabins, FOR OUR EXCLUSIVE USE. This comprises a 200 X 200 foot area, in the center of which is a covered cooking area, bounded by a circular drive. In the case of rain/bad weather, they offered the use of THEIR tent (perhaps 20 X 50) to "do your thing".

They DO still find it hard to believe we are not a "hard drinking lot" - but don't mind that - "as long as you guys observe 'the quiet hour' (10 PM)."

THEY hold a "bar-b-que" on Monday night, and "'Fred' does a bang up job", and we're welcome to attend that.

They are very pleased that "my" BMW is "sooooo quiet." They do NOT believe we would ACTUALLY go out of our way to invite thier OTHER guests to join in our festivities. Harummmph!!

YOU are welcome in KOA. And now, about half of downtown Gunnison knows WE are coming.

And, if you don't eat at Mario's Pizza... you ain't got a brain. wink.gif

I can't believe you dildo-heads who chose this meeting site didn't do the PR work FIRST. Any * Marine knows: "FIRST, make the ground safe. THEN eat."

YOU still have work to do here.

I see the TALK ABOUT in the thread. Who stepped up and actualy TALKED TO? Write your Letters Of Introduction, gentlemen.

And, if you've taken offence, well...

Semper Fi,

Dick Frantz

I have already been in discussions with a media rep who will do a story in our favor.

Fernando wrote an excellent letter last week, which I'll be sending out to the contacts that Mike and David EB supplied as soon as I return from the trip I'm on now.

Whatever we do should probably be coordinated to be effective.

"Anything going on in Gunnison on July 22-23?"

"Nope."

'OK if we have a group of BMW motorcycle riders hold a small rally in your town on those dates."

"Not at all. Love to have you."

OK, so it wasn't as thorough as the CIA would have done it. But checking on where the HA would have their annual meeting just wasn't on the top of the list of probabilities. Just as likely as us asking, "anyone gonna do any nuclear testing nearby while we're there?"

Nevertheless, we now have the benefits of the time you've spent in Gunnison. And for that, we thank you Dick. A perspective from there, particularly your interactions with the people (positive) and law enforcement (a few are just as stupid and misinformed as we feared) give us a much better sense of what needs to be done.

Also, your experience with 3000 "bikers" supports our contentions that the HA are not the potential problem. It's law enforcement's overreaction to the HA. And while they're all "on alert" but home, there are obviously a few on duty who are so hyped about what's coming to town that they're gonna start writing tickets to kids on tricycles for a week preceding. Them we don't need.

Your point that we should write individually is well taken and will be presented to all those who plan to attend. In fact, it might not be a bad idea if everyone from this BBS wrote such a letter, whether they're going or not. Nothing like having them expect 2000 BMW riders and only 200 show up. "False alarm. Stand down."

Your interaction with Norm and Karen at the KOA will be tremendously beneficial. And their openness and hospitality will be most welcomed. What's more, your description of the grounds seems to indicate a very amenable central gathering point (you got pictures?) for beginning and ending each day.

Finally, OK, Mario's Pizza it is.

DavidEBSmith

I happened to stumble across this article regarding concerns surrounding Bike Week in Laconia, NH. Selected quotes follow:

------------

More police than ever to be at this year’s bike week

By RAY CARBONE

LACONIA — In the face of increasing violence among outlaw biker gangs around the country, local authorities are planning to have the strongest police presence ever at the this year’s Motorcycle Rally & Race Week, which kicks off Saturday.

"There will be more police officers this year," said State Police Capt. Ray Burke, who oversees his department’s Bike Week contingent. "Bill Baker, the chief of the Laconia police department, has tried to put out a bigger net (to find help), and he also has also enlisted some help from state and federal agencies."

Laconia Mayor Mark Fraser said there will be a stronger police presence in Weirs Beach, the epicenter of Bike Week activities.

But Chief Baker says how police officers operate can be more important than how many are here.

"I’m approaching things differently," the chief said. "The contingency plans if something goes wrong look very different (than before), but the operational details I won’t reveal... We are making some additional contingencies which involve a heavier reliance on state and federal agencies outside of Laconia than in years past."

City, county, state and federal officials have been meeting regularly for several weeks to identify potential problems areas and develop plans to deal with them, Burke said.

"We’ve talked with different federal agencies including the U.S. Marshal, the U.S. Attorney, the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms... We’ve been meeting and talking with them more than usual."

A state National Guard contingent will provide backup in emergency situations although late last week officials did not reveal exactly how many Guardsmen will be in the Lakes Region and how they will be used.

National motorcycle gang experts say local officials are smart to be on guard about Motorcycle Week, especially given what has taken place since a truce between various outlaw groups apparently broke down several months ago.

<snip>

Since the Nevada event, several smaller motorcycle events have been canceled, including one sponsored by the Harley Davidson motorcycle company.

<snip>

Since the New Hampshire chapter of the Hells Angels clubhouse is located in Weirs Beach — just a short distance from the center of Bike Week activities — and since the Laconia rally is the first major biker gathering since the Nevada event, local officials are concerned about a possible outbreak of violence.

<snip>

Baker has also gotten assurances fro the Outlaws that they will not be coming to Weirs Beach during Bike Week, he said.

"I had a conversation (Friday) with representatives of the Outlaws and they have assured me that they do have relationship with some of the other groups that are not necessary big fans of the Hells Angles," Baker said. "But they don’t want to cause problems for us and are still intending to steer clear of The Weirs."

The chief also proposed instituting a gun-free zone in the middle of the Weirs Beach activity, but withdrew the idea after legal questions about the plan were raised late last week.

Both McKinley and Katz expressed confidence in the local authorities’ ability to deal with potential trouble at Bike Week.

"If there’s one thing people there can feel good about it’s that you have some genuine experts there who have handled major incidents before," Katz said. "Laconia’s event will probably be one of the best policed because they know what these people are capable of. They’ve been battle-tested, for lack of a better word.

"About one percent of the people there are going to be potential troublemakers and that’s the same as at any event," he added. "But at this event, law enforcement knows who the troublemakers are likely to be."

Still, authorities have emphasized that they are not able to guarantee anyone’s safety at Bike Week.

"I think the biggest concern is just the unknown," Mayor Fraser. "It could go very smoothly and not be any problem at all but because we don’t know what’s going to happen it puts a lot of pressure on us. Some people believe that nothing is going to happen, others are at exactly the opposite extreme, they say the sky is falling and we should stop the event.

"There are always problems with Bike Week of one sort or another. We’ve tried to weigh all the information we’re getting and make decisions that will be best for the event and for the community. At the same time, I would say to people who have concerns about their safety, if you don’t want to go, don’t go. If we sell a few less T-shirts, that’s not the worst thing in the world."

-----------------

I really don't want to respond to this, secure in my first-hand knowledge of what is NOT going on in Gunnison. I also don't want to appear contentious, having a distinct and sturdy viewpoint that to a large extent counters the negativity in the snippets chosen for posting: We all do have a right to our own views, and it is indeed valid to harbor concerns.

Yet I feel that in order to present a PERTINENT view of what's being faced by those attending The Gathering At Gunnison, facts about GUNNISON - and how it differs from Weirs Beach - need to be highlighted. Gunnison is NOT Weirs Beach, New Hampshire. And, what will go on in Gunnison is not at all like what will go on in New Hampshire.

The LACONIA meeting of motorcyclists is an event of long standing.

Weirs Beach, and it's activities are a SUBSET of the Laconia meeting.

Weirs Beach has a HISTORY.

That history is TRADITIONAL, and it is negative.

There is a particular negative "history", and attitude, more common to "eastern" events.

Very much like The Bog (of old), at Watkins Glen (race track) in New York, Weirs Beach is a DISTINCT geographic FOCUS, for those who enjoy viewing or participating in Rowdy Behavior. Of all the places encompassed within the LACONIA meeting, THAT location has been "set aside", by tradition, by a subset of the participants, as a place for certain behavior.

In fact, at most "bike runs", excessive behavior, though usually not to Weirs Beach levels, finds one or several "centrums", often surrounding the "Beer Pits" set up at such BIKE RUNS.

Gunnison is NOT a "bike run".

Gunnison does NOT have a History.

Gunnison does NOT have a Tradition.

Gunnison does NOT have a "centrum" for Rowdy Activity.

Gunnsion does NOT have "beer pits".

"Gunnison" is not a meeting of "many factions of bikers". A "Meeting of A Single Gang" will take place. It is NOT attended by "other factions", and not even by "regular biker folk". It will not have VENDORS. It will not have EXHIBITORS. It will not have "town's people" even catering to it. There will NOT be "beer pits" set up to draw the curious -- and suck money out of the participants -- along with their subsequently judgmentally-impaired behavior.

If a "centrum" emerges, it will be ad hoc, and it will be MONITORED WITHIN AN INCH OF ITS LIFE. Those who are coming are ALREADY AWARE OF THAT. They can be expected to ACT just has they have for their other MEETINGS: NOT as has ARISEN at GENERAL MOTORCYCLE RUNS, like the greatly feared Laughlin -- or Weirs Beach.

Most of all, the "event" that perhaps validly draws forth concern will take place AFTER our own BMWRT.COM gathering. AFTER.

What will be in place, when WE are present, is appropriate monitoring of the what leads up to that event. And, I'm very GLAD for that.

THAT SENSIBLE SECURITY, will allow me and my friends to ride OUTSIDE Gunnison, HAVING A WONDERFUL TIME, completely secure that Gunnison will still be standing, and appropriately patrolled, when I come back in the evening.

When "THEIR" event begins, I will most appropriately BE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Gunnison, as a Hells Angels' Event, bears no resemblance to the Weirs Beach portion of "Laconia".

And, OUR "Gunnsion" bears no resemblance at all to THEIR Gunnison. Especially in TIME.

Please, if you have facts that run counter to this view ABOUT GUNNISON, please post them so we can appropriately act upon them.

At the risk of pissing off one or both of you, I don't see much payoff in this back and forth. Fernando has listened to all the feedback and has elected an approach kind of like this: "Let's not be frantic but let's not be unprepared. Let's be friendly, proactive, and open and leave it at that." Since he's the point guy, let's follow his lead and do what we can to make it happen.

I mean if you guys want to keep spending all that energy writing, I want to learn about your vitamin and exercise routine! smile.gif

Over and out.

Chief Dildo-Head.

DavidEBSmith

In reply to:

"Let's not be frantic but let's not be unprepared. Let's be friendly, proactive, and open and leave it at that." Since he's the point guy, let's follow his lead and do what we can to make it happen

Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.

We should all be glad that Dick was on the ground in Gunnison and found out that there are some actual misperceptions regarding our visit that need to be addressed. Some friendly, proactive information sharing, keeping on a consistent message, will help correct those misperceptions.

However, having been in the situation of being the guy in possession of information regarding LE plans and operations, I know that, where deemed necessary, I would underinform or misinform any inquiring soul who didn't have a need to know, whether they be a private citizen, a member of the press, an alderman, or a lieutenant general who happens to be a member of an interested social organization. BTDT, have the subpoena to show for it. I would no more expect Gunnison LE to be sharing their plans with us than I would expect Dick to share his mission plan with somebody he's never heard of calling on an insecure channel who identifies himself as a admiral who's planning on being in the area for some R & R. We don't know the LE plans, we're not likely to know, if we knew today they could change tomorrow, and we can't do anything (other than to provide information) to change them if we did know.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Archived