IGNORED

K1200RS vs R1150GS handling question

Jim Moore

Hi guys,

I'm currently riding an R1150GS. I'm looking for a faster bike and I'm considering the K1200RS. I have test-ridden a few over the past six months, but always in very controlled conditions, straight roads, no twisties, etc. Honestly, I like the power, but I'm a little concerned about the handling. Compared to my GS, the RS seems a little heavy and ponderous, especially at slow speeds.

Here's my question. Has anyone transitioned from an R11XXGS to a K1200RS? If so, how do you compare the handling of the two bikes?

I fully realize I've just insulted everyone's bike, and I apologize in advance. Like I said, I really like the K1200RS and I'm seriously considering one.

Thanks,

Aluminum_Butt

I went from a GS to an RT, and later to a GT (which is bascially an RS with extra plastic).

The GS is definitely more "flickable". I don't know the numbers, but the GT feels like the wheelbase is substantially longer. It does fine in the twisties for me (I'm moderately aggressive), but the GS could probably do better for a really agressive rider. Where the GT shines for me is on sweepers - very stable.

Low speed handling is not an issue for me. Which is better? Hard for me to tell. Though the GT is heavy, the center-of-gravity feels reasonably low to me. I can maneuver it as well as I could the GS in normal situations.

As I'm sure you know, the big difference is riding position. It worked out well for me (less back pain on long trips), but I have to really concentrate on keeping the weight off my arms/hands. There is less distance between the pegs and seat as well.

I went to a K bike for much the same reason you are - more power. It also provides me with smoother everything - no drive train whiplash, no engine vibration, etc. I've never been sorry I got the GT.

Jim, Apples and oranges. They may as well have been made by two different companies. The only similarities they share is the driveshaft and the build quality (imho).

As you're aware the GS is an excellent all around bike with few flaws that excels at nearly all types of riding.

The K12RS was designed for the Autobahn. Its forte is high speed touring (quite high), a sort of luxury sportbike. Yes, its heavy but it loves sweepers and above the speed limit the weight disappears.

Recently, I put the BMW touring shield on my '98 and really like it. Oh, and thanks again for the help with the the tire installation.

Bill

Calvin  (no socks)

Jim, I've had both. Ridden both the same day. Hard to beat the GS. The GT handles well at low speed once you get used to the weight. But it is a sled comparitvely. I usually dive into corners with it... rough on tire wear doing that, sweepers... yea,... thats the ticket... where do I find some around here.... grin.gif

I'm currently riding an R1150GS. I'm looking for a faster bike and I'm considering the K1200RS..., how do you compare the handling of the two bikes?

Yep!

You need to buy an FJR1300A...

WooHoo!

A very good reason to consider a used K12RS is the value. These bikes have depreciated quite a bit since the new bikes have arrived. It's a lot of bike for the money.

I'm reminded of something Peter Egan said in a column about five years ago, If you can just back off 10 to 20%, motorcycling is basically free.

Hey Jim!

You've been kicking this for a while...

If you want to call with any questions, do so anytime!!! If you are ever in town, drop a line and we can fix you up for some saddle time. Probably get Tool and the Waynester to dust off their K's (your guys still have'em right?!?!)

I've loved my K12!! (however, I am thinking that I might move on though... I have a curiosity with the CBR1100XX Honda Blackbird. Sometimes you just have to scratch the itch!!). Maybe I seek something similar to what you seek?

The K12 was/is in her element (at least for me and Greg)in the open sweeps of Utah... Exhilarating (if not stupid) running 110 - 140 (not kmh!) for miles and miles. Stable, smoooooth, assured and not an R to be seen (even in the rear view)...

It is a big bike (tall) and I guess that can make some nervous around a parking lot or slow traffic. The inseam challenged may not bode well… The seating geometry is (to me) very different than the Rgs, I guess, as it should be for their varied purposes...

There is none of that ptr, buzz, etc... (the older K’s; 1, 1100 could be buzzy too). My couple of times on the FJR were way to buzzy for me (IMHO).

I rode my K all over Mex (3wks/6.5k miles) with a wide variety of conditions and really didn't feel I had the wrong bike (vs. GS, Wing, etc.). Well, OK I didn't go to the bottom of Copper Canyon but I had some serious fun riding the fantastic roads to and fro that area (and many others in Mex like them).

If you’re seeking the ride of a crotch rocket, get one of those… If you want a step back, a sport touring type and you love BMW, What are you waiting for????!!!!

Like I said, call/write anytime...

Larry V.

Hey guys,

I really appreciate the information. I have been trying to decide between a K1200RS and an R1100S for a few months now. I had leaned back toward the K1200RS until a guy offered me a beautiful R1100S at a really good price this week. I was forced to accept. Later on this week I'll have a beautiful red R1100S in the garage. Now that I've made that decision, what do you guys think of that K1200R?

What is this a trick question? grin.gif Back to the original question, I would think the 11S would handle better than the GS or KRS, but after you've had a little time on it, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion. K12R?, don't ride one.

I rode a yellow demo K12R for a morning while my S was in the shop. It seems to be geared a bit shorter than the S, and supposedly down a couple of ponys due to the intake setup. A few lbs. lighter as well. Bike ran fine, and certainly got some attention. I'm not crazy about the looks of the thing, but have seen them with a belly pan installed and that seemed to clean up the look some. If you want to go naked, it's an E ticket ride.

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

as a K1200RS rider that is fortunate enough to live in Northern Ca all I can say is "I LOVE this bike". smile.gif My son rides a Suzuki Katana 750 and his best friend rides a Suzuki TL1000S. When we go out to play, I can keep up with them even though we usually take a ride on some VERY twisty roads up to Lake Berryessa. I do however take a few of the corners a little slower than them blush.gif (me 59.. them late 20's) probably makes the biggest difference.. lol. My son and I got into a shootout on I-505 the other day.. I waited til he was out of speed and then went by him like he was on the side of the road changing a flat.. lmao.gif lol. (Gawd I love that bike) clap.gifclap.gif hehe.

as a K1200RS rider that is fortunate enough to live in Northern Ca all I can say is "I LOVE this bike". smile.gif My son rides a Suzuki Katana 750 and his best friend rides a Suzuki TL1000S. When we go out to play, I can keep up with them even though we usually take a ride on some VERY twisty roads up to Lake Berryessa. I do however take a few of the corners a little slower than them blush.gif (me 59.. them late 20's) probably makes the biggest difference.. lol. My son and I got into a shootout on I-505 the other day.. I waited til he was out of speed and then went by him like he was on the side of the road changing a flat.. lmao.gif lol. (Gawd I love that bike) clap.gifclap.gif hehe.
If you like the K1200RS wait till you ride the K1200S!!! The old RS feels like a barge by comparison!
My son and I got into a shootout on I-505 the other day.. I waited til he was out of speed and then went by him like he was on the side of the road changing a flat.. lmao.gif lol. (Gawd I love that bike) clap.gifclap.gif hehe.

Setting the good example!

ShovelStrokeEd

Jim,

Glad to hear you got yourself an S. Great bike, I know, I own one. I have also had both a K12RS and a GS Adv, and an RT and an RS. The big K is a wonderful bike and, in the right hands, can be very fast down even a tight, twisty road. It rewards good technique like no other bike. Trouble is, it requires it. Use poor technique and the bike quickly turns into a truck. It is long and heavy with a low roll center and just doesn't feel the same as the lighter GS, nor does it have the nice wide bars that make it so easy to muscle the GS around. Once you learn to properly apply upper body position and peg weighting (or seat unweighting) the bike is wonderfully responsive and the stability is never in doubt, even while dragging a peg feeler at well over the ton.

BTW, Larry, I can only say of the Blackbird, when you go for a test ride, bring your checkbook. I have put 20K on mine since November of last year and they are, considering the 10 y.o design, just an amazing motorcycle. A couple of suspension upgrades, rear shock, fork spring kit and revalve the cartridge dampers and you have a real winner. Unless, of course, easy 170 mph top speed, mid 10 second 1/4 mile times and comfortable for day long rides, don't appeal. grin.gif

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

Shove.. I rebuilt this one from a wreck..(for a GREAT price) if I could find a Blackbird in similar condition I would have one in a minute!! LOL I really don't have the readily available money to even be on a BMW but I snuck it out of the budget and did the rebuild/restoration myself. dopeslap.gif

...The big K is a wonderful bike and, in the right hands, can be very fast down even a tight, twisty road. It rewards good technique like no other bike. Trouble is, it requires it. Use poor technique and the bike quickly turns into a truck.

Ed, tThat's the best description I've read regarding the big K's handling. smile.gif

It's a great partner, it just doesn't go along very well if you handle it like it's an RT.

So when are you bringing that Blackbird to So Cal? cool.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

So when are you bringing that Blackbird to So Cal?

I only wish I could. I just got a promotion at work from care free field service engineer to Domestic Service Manager. I'm up to my armpits in learning all the reporting, ISO 9001 company, setting up proper data bases so I can access the data needed for the reports, scheduling, big time fun now that my 'best' service guy has been kicked upstairs, training two new techs, supporting the guys out there and trying to sell service contracts, all the while putting out fires and working on my 'people' skills. Seems I can't call my employee's anal sphincters anymore, at least not to their faces. frown.gif

My travel by motorcycle days are gonna be limited to a couple of weekends a year for awhile. I may get to go to Oak Ridge, TN for two weeks towards the end of the month and I will take the bike up there but that's gonna be it. I have some vacation coming and that will go to El Paseo.

Never know, though, I might get on top of this sooner than I think. One of the better perks is an extra week's vacation. I just have to get organized enough to be able to take it. grin.gif

You would feel right at home on the Blackbird. Just think of Buddy with more power. Once I get the Penske on the back and the Traxion Dyamics kit in the forks, I'll be in heaven.

Have you ridden the K12R? You owe it to your self to ride one... and the great news is that the 2007's will be out soon w/o servo-assist YAHOO!

Racegun, I have a K12R sans ABS and servo-assist and an early K12RS('98). They're both great but very different.

There's about a decade worth of technology and engineering between them (in this case somewhat stodgy German engineering-they could've copied the Japanese years ago and proudly declined). In motorcycle terms thats a long time.

Again, I consider the KRS a high speed touring bike and Ed has correctly and eloquently described its handling qualities, which should come as no surprise. Master Yoda Riding position aside, it does have slightly odd ergonomics, but if you've got long arms and short legs, its spot on, although there are several solutions.

Conversely, the R is quick, precise, almost scalpel-like with seemingly pent-up concentrated energy waiting to be unleashed (this is starting to sound like ad copy, did I read that somewhere). Yes, its unusual to look at but after some seat time you could care less. It wasn't meant to be nice or pretty.

After spending many years behind the wheel of some high-powered Porsche race cars, its the only motorcycle I've ridden that gives a similar sensation. I am looking for some more wind protection though, I think it'll make a decent but quirky touring bike. A set of Jesse bags could look right at home on it. grin.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

K12R, the rich man's Tuano. If I ever get some money together again, that bike, or whatever is available in 2027, will be on my short list. Of course I'll be 85 in 2027 so it might bring a different need. Looking through the garage the other day I realized I don't have a hooligan bike anymore. Just a bunch of sporty touring bikes many of which overlap. CBR1100XX, R1100S, VFR800, R1100RS, Guzzi LeMans 1000, R100S. OK, the Panhead is different but the others all have the same riding position more or less and, although the Honda bikes are multi's they more or less are simple machines with simple maintenance requirements.

Ed, I found it used (300 miles). I've heard it scared the previous owner, it scares me a little too. If I sold the accesories that were included I'd have the cost of a year old Tuono in it.

Don't wait, just sell any two bikes and do it. Hey, if you make it to Mt. Dora I'd like you to ride this one and get your impressions.

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, I'm working today and have plans for tomorrow so Mt. Dora is out this time. I have had the pleasure of riding one and would like to again. Maybe in the future.

Archived