IGNORED

Day at Road Atlanta

David

Mark and I had a nice time at Road Atlanta Sunday. I'll need to check with the track photographer later, but for now we don't have pictures. Mark was on his 12GS and I was on the Tuono.

Here's a map of the track, with turn numbers.

map.jpg

And here's an aerial view of the track on which I've superimposed turn numbers so that you can "see" the course for the explanation below. By the way, the AMA Superbike races will be held at Road Atlanta next month, which is another reason I put the turns on the aerial map so that you can picture it better.

aerial.jpg

We'd done a GS ride the day before (325 miles of solid twisties), so I started out a little tired. Plus, I'd noticed on the schedule that this track was going to require a 2.5 hour "quiet time" on Sunday (the south's version of wagging a finger at you and saying you should be at church).

So we decided to leave early (5:45a) for the 45 min drive from Mark's house, arriving at 6:30 so that we could get a good paddock spot and have everything set up. The organization was, well, not very organized when we arrived. A storm had blown through the night before, flipping some stuff on the paddock and washing red clay onto the esses before Turn 5. And everyone seemed to be rushing around trying to get the rider's meeting and tech inspections done quickly so that we could start an hour earlier than normal and get two sessions in before quiet time. They were only moderately successful, as riders didn't know about the schedule change until they showed up. Oops.

Anyway, I'd last been at Road Atlanta in 2003 for a one-day class, and I was interested in trying the course again, especially on the Tuono instead of the school's GSX-R600. Road Atlanta was not my favorite courses--one of the fastest road courses in the US, and intimidating as hell. Lots of high speeds on the back and front straights, lever-to-the-grip braking when you go from wide open sixth gear to max braking and 2nd gear, off-camber turns (Turn 5, especially), blind hills (Turns 1 and 12), bad course design from a safety standpoint (coming out of Turn 12 onto the front straight), sloppy pavement transitions, and a worn out course flogged by too many race cars. Other than that, it's relaxing. grin.gif

Did I tell you this course is long, too? A lap is 2.54 miles.

Session #1

After warming up the tires, I started to get the feel of the place again, remembering some of the race line and picking out fresh reference points. Times were:

2:10

2:02

2:00

1:57

My goal for the day was sub 2:00, so that first session was nice to have under my belt. The rest of the day was going to be working on specific things. After this first session, I remember thinking how shitty this track was.

I could hit 145 mph on the back straight as long as I didn't begin braking until midway between the 200- and 150-yard marker.

Session #2

One of the reasons for wanting to go to Road Atlanta was to get more comfortable on a faster track. I love fast corner speeds, but I don't get any charge out of fast straight line speed, holding on for dear life to a "standard" bike as your eyes water.

I also had recently turned my best session yet at Barber (1:49), and wanted to know if I could take some of that and apply it to an unfamiliar track. My times on this second session were surprising me a tad, and I was still having fun. After warming up the tires:

2:00

1:53

1:51

1:52

A crash on 10b ended our session early. It looked like a guy ran wide and dropped it after hitting the grass. He was standing next to the bike, though, and he/it looked fine.

Session #3

I was a little tired and a lot hot after standing around in Atlanta in August for 2.5 hours at midday, and it took a bit to get back into the groove. I actually was off my fastest lap by a second:

1:57

1:54

1:52

I was getting ready to turn some consistent laps when a bad, bad wreck in Turn 7 closed the track down again. Our victim was carrying so much speed that he crossed the runout area and impacted the wall, destroying the bike in the process. I passed it as it was unfolding, but didn't even realize that until later. That's how far off the track he went. All told, there were three wrecks in that one session alone. Eek.

Session #4

Time to turn it up a notch and get a tad more aggressive. This track begs for it. There's virtually no flow to it, so there's precious little chance of sliding into a trance. Instead, it's wide open--then braking with the rear in the air and the front fading.

By putting my head down, I found another 3 seconds. After the warmup laps, I turned:

1:53

1:51

1:48

The faster time above equates to an average 85 mph over the course. I made up most of the time by trail braking (front only) into Turn 6 and carrying more speed out of Turn 10b, short shifting to third halfway up the hill, grabbing fourth immediately after the crest, and holding it wide open down the hill, grabbing fifth before dipping into Turn 12.

I was also braking as late as possible. On the long straight, I hit 149 mph and started braking between the last and next to last marker. I was getting a touch of fade toward the end of each session. I don't know how long that straight is, but the Tuono was still climbing when I shut it down. Supposedly it'll do more than 165 mph, but I'm not sure where I'll ever have a chance...or desire...to test the theory. It is a remarkable engine, though. High-revving twins are pure delight. They almost cheat with the broad power band. The intake honk in second and third gear sometimes makes me think that two or three bikes are chasing me.

The other place to gain ground is late braking before Turn 1. As I practiced that on the 1:48 lap, I misjudged the braking and started too late. As I ran out of runway, so to speak, I dipped it into the right hander and knew immediately that I still hadn't bled off enough speed. It was even more difficult to get it to turn under braking that heavy, and I pretty much knew we (as in "I") had a lowside coming. So I straightened it up, braked harder, and then released most of the braking when I rolled onto the grass. The minimal braking I was still using was still too much for the wet grass, and the front slid. I released the front brake entirely and it straightened out again. I was able to keep it upright, and after checking for traffic, I entered the track again. It all happened in a strange sort of slow motion--I can even remember the corner work begin waving the yellow flag out of the corner of my eye.

No harm done, and now I have a better idea of when to start braking off the front straight! tongue.gif

Session #5

I transferred the timer to Mark's bike so he could get a feel for some stuff he was working on. All I did was follow him around for observation. I skipped the last session so that I could get home for dinner.

It was a very useful day for me, getting more comfortable with heavy acceleration, heavy braking, and applying skills to a largely unfamiliar track. It was nice having Mark there, too, especially since we were both in the same group and could compare notes. It was nice to see Christine, James, and Abby, too!

Next up: Blackhawk this weekend, outside of Rockford. Julie will be observing for the first time, which I'm looking forward to. Then three more (free) days at Barber (as a corner worker). Nathan will be taking Code Level 1 that first day, so that'll be a treat to watch him experience a road course on a motorcycle.

Over and out. I'll let Mark fill you in on his day. Especially the two-up part.

It's a weird feeling. The bike is bouncing around (you have to let it do that), you're tucked in as best as you can, and there's a significant blur in the images that barely register.

The "straight" at Road Atlanta really isn't a straight, as Turn 9, especially, requires you to be hanging off and leaned over at that speed.

I still don't enjoy it, but I've learned to not be afraid of it.

Sounds like a fun day.

Yeah, except Mark and I sent you an email you didn't answer. Is it because he still thinks you're a putz? smile.gif

How were the tires?

Spectacular. I like them so much I have a new set sitting in the garage. I'm sticking with them.

You know who had the fastest time of the day? A guy on a Tuono (factory) at 1:35. Pretty much bone stock, too, though "stock" for a factory means some pretty good suspenders. He was on slicks.

Have you ever done any time on racing slicks?

How fast did you have the 600 on Fontana? How do you feel about the fast straights?

<jealous> (sigh)

Looks like a scary, fun, stupid-fast track! You don't talk about the esses much; those _look_ like a scary part on that track, but when you see the racers go through there, they straighten them out, so I'd guess it isn't really that bad.

Wish we could have been there! Next year we'll have to do another 'fly-away' track day like we did Barber last year!

wink.gif

russell_bynum

Yeah, except Mark and I sent you an email you didn't answer. Is it because he still thinks you're a putz?

WTF??? I was wondering why I never got the standard track day emails. I'll check our idiotic anti-spam filter.

Spectacular. I like them so much I have a new set sitting in the garage. I'm sticking with them.

Cool. And which tires did you go with?

Nope. I've never even ridden a DOT race tire. I don't really slide the street tires (Pilot Power) much, so I figure I'm probably not ready to step up to stickier rubber. Most of the sportbike guys seem to favor race tires (Power Race or the 208GPA), but it's hard to say if that's just because it's cool or if it is giving them any advantage.

How fast did you have the 600 on Fontana?

I was up near the 15K redline in 6th at the end of the front straight (the banking on the NASCAR oval.) I believe that's up in the 160mph range. The bike's a little slower now because I re-geared it.

How do you feel about the fast straights?

BORING. Just tuck in, pin the throttle, shift gears, and wait for the end of the straight so I can start having fun again. The only good thing about a fast straight is it usually requires lots of braking at the end, and that's fun.

Fontana doesn't require much on the front straight. Sitting up at that speed does most of the work. Brake a little, grab a downshift, manhandle the bike through the really fast chicane, then drop it back left for T3.

The rest of the track is pretty much just straights connected by tight turns/chicanes. I never found it to be particularly interesting, really. There's very little variation in the turns. It really favors the liter bikes with their point and shoot style vs. more flowing lines that you'd use on a 600.

You don't talk about the esses much; those _look_ like a scary part on that track, but when you see the racers go through there, they straighten them out, so I'd guess it isn't really that bad.

They are pretty tame, actually. The only tough one is the first, as the hill coming out of Turn 1 makes Turn 2 blind. But there is a good referrence point in a dotted yellow line.

Wish we could have been there! Next year we'll have to do another 'fly-away' track day like we did Barber last year!

Absolutely. If you want to experience a different track in this area, I'd recommend Road Atlanta or VIR--both are really unique.

Cool. And which tires did you go with?

Pilot Power.

Nope. I've never even ridden a DOT race tire. I don't really slide the street tires (Pilot Power) much, so I figure I'm probably not ready to step up to stickier rubber. Most of the sportbike guys seem to favor race tires (Power Race or the 208GPA), but it's hard to say if that's just because it's cool or if it is giving them any advantage.

That's my perception, too. At the moment I'm not good enough, though I grant that I may just be ignorant. tongue.gif But right now it's ME holding things up. Once the bike and tires are holding me up, I'll fix that. Meanwhile, it's window dressing meant to make me feel better. grin.gif

How do you feel about the fast straights?

BORING. Just tuck in, pin the throttle, shift gears, and wait for the end of the straight so I can start having fun again. The only good thing about a fast straight is it usually requires lots of braking at the end, and that's fun.

Fun, that is, until you see Jesus.

Great fun to read. You have no idea how much the overhead shot helps put the pieces together. thumbsup.gif

BTW, has anyone seen a similar shot of Laguna? Tried Google Earth, etc. No luck.

russell_bynum

Pilot Power.

I've just been deleriously happy with those. They come up to temp SO fast, and don't get slippery towards the end of the session (not at the slow pace I go, anyway). They seem to last a long time, too. I've got 5 or 6 track days on mine and there's still some tread left. I may replace them before our next track day, but mainly just because we've got 3 days almost back to back and I don't want to have to deal with a tire change between them.

But right now it's ME holding things up. Once the bike and tires are holding me up, I'll fix that.

Yep, same here. It's also nice not to have to worry about rain. If it rains, I ride anyway. Meanwhile, all the guys on DOT's are tiptoeing around and the guys on slicks are hiding in their trailers sulking. grin.gif

Fun, that is, until you see Jesus.

LOL!

I'm not pushing nearly that hard, but yeah...braking is fun. I love getting on the binders and playing with the pressure until I feel things start to get unstable. It seems like there's a really fine line where the front is just starting to slide, but it hasn't totally broken loose yet so the suspension is still loaded up.

The next thing I want to do, is play with the rear brake a bit to get the rear right on the verge of sliding.

Then I'll start backing it in like a supermoto rider.

Then I'll get to experience the joy of a highside. grin.gif

eek.gif

I'm still a total wuss. I'll drive deep into the corner before braking, but only on corners that are really forgiving. I don't have the stones to tempt my fate on corners where a mistake means I'm off the track.

Here is an aerial shot of Laguna. This is a link to the picture. It is a copyrighted image, so I couldn't grab it and doctor it up and put the corner numbers on it, but it's still a nice shot.

Laguna Seca

A Summary: Track runs counter clockwise, so Turn 2 (hairpin) is at the bottom right, turn 5 going up the hill is the upper right, the corkscrew (turn 8a and b) is your top left, and the very tight, first gear corner of turn 11 is the bottom left. You all can fill in the blanks from there! smile.gif

not at the slow pace I go

Stop that. Self deprecation will get you nowhere. We know it ain't so. Sheesh! The Kid isn't on this board so can't compare.

russell_bynum
not at the slow pace I go

Stop that. Self deprecation will get you nowhere. We know it ain't so. Sheesh! The Kid isn't on this board so can't compare.

Well, I suppose everything is relative, but it is hard to consider myself fast when I'm about 20% off the pace and I'd be lapped about every four laps or so if the AMA guys were there. smile.gif

StretchMark

Hi, my name is Mark and I ride my GS on the track. eek.gif

Well, once again, I show up to a track day being the only one wearing textiles, the only one without knee pucks, and of course the only one stupid enough to bring a GS on one of the fastest tracks in the country blush.gif. There was a V-Strom in the novice group, and a couple of SV-650s, but other than that, mostly some pretty tripped out sport bikes. It’s so intimidating when you show up in the parking lot and see all those bikes, and then it’s just flat out embarrassing when you unload the GS.

After check in, I pulled over to the tech inspection and immediately am greeted with a boisterous “Achtung!” followed by a chorus of laughter. So now I’m feeling really great confused.gif

Thank goodness the Intermediate group gets to ride first. I just wanted to be out on the track. I pulled up into the starting area and put myself in the middle of the pack. A group of young Asian kids (Just a descriptor so keep the PC comments to yourself smirk.gif) on their “race-ready” Gixxers all pulled up past me and I soon became the butt of their jokes too crazy.gif. Once we started rolling on the orientation lap, the whole intimidation factor evaporated. I could just tell by the lines they were taking and the over-exaggerated attempts to drag a knee that I could pick off a few of these guys.

It had also been 2.5 years since I had been on the track. The Schwantz 1 day class was a bit of info-overload. I quickly realized I had forgotten most of the reference points on the track. I felt a bit lost out there. Even so, I still managed to pass quite a few of the folks in front of me. A few of them would pass me back on the straight as I struggled to hit 120mph, but I’d get them back on the next set of turns.

After the session, Dave and I went over the track map, talked about lines, reference points, gear selection, good passing areas etc.

Session 2:

For this session, I planned to concentrate on line selection and reference points. I followed Dave for a few laps to watch his lines. In particular I wanted to work on getting a really good drive out of turn 7. I had been turning in late and drifting too wide and fixating of the outside of the track. Now with a good reference point coming into turn 6 (a nice long concrete patch), some trail braking, and another good reference point before turn 7, I started nailing that one and getting some really good drive into the long straight.

Here I am following Dave for a few laps:

86854446-M-1.jpg

Session 3:

I found out that day, that they offer a women’s only and two-up session right after lunch. Christine and the kids were coming up to watch so I told her to bring her leathers. Christine was wearing her Keith Code tank top shorts and flip flops when we went to sign up for the session and the lady looked at Christine and snapped “You have to wear the proper gear”. I laughed and asked her if I looked like a squid, to which she replied, “No, but she does.” lmao.gif

The two-up session was really fun. Christine was a great passenger and didn’t do anything sudden to upset the bike. I probably rode about 80% of what I was doing on my own. We hit 110-115mph on the straight and passed most of the folks out there. David told us there was a couple on a sport bike both touching their knees, but they were way out ahead of us, so we never saw them. This was a great treat for both of us. Christine was all smiles afterwards. She reminded me I was no Pridmore, but complimented me on my riding…I’ll take it!! cool.gif

Here we are on the front straight:

86853646-M-1.jpg

Immediately after I dropped off Christine, I had to dash back up to the start area for my session 3. I felt like I had some really good lap times going during this session and had a ton of good open track to work with. I picked up the pace a bit more and started experiencing a few scrapes and a bit more wheel spin than I am comfortable with on the off-camber turn 5. I started cramping bad at the end of the session, so I had to back off.

Here’s a good one of David going under the bridge:

86854823-M-1.jpg

Session 4:

I started picking up some more speed and making more passes. A few of these passes put me on some funky lines and ripples where the cars tear up the track. With the additional speed also came more and more scrapes. I was attributing the scrapes to my bad lines and having to crank it over more than I should eek.gif. Turn 5 is just scary for me partially because of the camber and partially because the track is all patched up and greasy looking there.

Just under the Suzuki bridge at the crest before the big blind downhill.

86853029-M.jpg

Session 5:

As David mentioned, I had his lap timer for this session and David decided to ride behind me for a bit. Unfortunately, I got out to the start area first so I had to lead the first lap. I didn’t want to hold up the fast guys, so I probably ran way faster than I should have on cold tires. David said I had really good lines on the first lap, really crappy lines on the second lap, and good lines on the third lap until I came into turn 7 with too much speed and had to crank it over so much I plowed up some asphalt with my crash bars. I decided I was not going to make the turn, stood it up and as I mentioned in the “Crashbars on a GS” post, took the GS line through the turn 7 grass dopeslap.gif. Thank goodness David was not running video. That spooked me enough to tone it down a bit for the rest of the session, but much to my amazement I had some 1:56 and 1:57 laps thrown in there (David will correct me if I am exaggerating). 2:00 laps were my goal, so I was very happy. David mentioned to me after the session that I really needed to work on body position, both upper and lower. He was concerned enough about my lean angle to not even want to be close to me. As always, I really appreciate his brutally honest feedback! My daughter politely asked why I went into the grass smirk.gif

The GS version of the frame slider:

86392389-M-1.jpg

Session 6:

Feeling pretty tired, I decided to start last and slow it waaaay down and concentrate on body position. I was so focused all day on lines and reference points and lines, that I totally forgot to pay attention to my body position. I know I can still hang off more and loosen up my upper body more but I did a lot better with body position. Each lap, I picked up the pace a little more and hung off a little more. I ended the day with 3 really clean laps, carrying a good bit of speed through the corners, no scrapes and good drive out. A very successful day for me, but I wished I had thought more about body position throughout the day.

I was really glad Christine and the kids could come out to watch.

Here’s James:

86854288-M.jpg

and here’s Abby:

86854005-M.jpg

I'm sure I have not even come close to hitting the limit of what a GS can do on the track, but I do think I am ready to get a bike more suited to this type of riding.

Looking forward to 3 straight days at Barber at the end of the month! David, always a pleasure riding with you. Thanks again for all the help. Also thanks for bringing the great setup for the pits. That really helped reduce the fatigue!

(sorry, a bit long winded)

russell_bynum

That sounds great, Mark!

A group of young Asian kids (Just a descriptor so keep the PC comments to yourself ) on their “race-ready” Gixxers all pulled up past me and I soon became the butt of their jokes too . Once we started rolling on the orientation lap, the whole intimidation factor evaporated. I could just tell by the lines they were taking and the over-exaggerated attempts to drag a knee that I could pick off a few of these guys.

That's so freaking typical...especially with the "Intermediate" group at track days. Everyong thinks they're fast in the canyons, so they all sign up for the Intermediate group so they don't get held up by the slower riders. Invariably, they suck. Some of them suck more than anything has ever sucked before. I've been behind some guys who were so unpredictable that I pulled off the track to let them get a nice gap on me.

OTOH, it is really fun being out there on a slower bike and cleaning people's clocks anyway. grin.gif My favorite thing to do at Pahrump, is find a squid on a Gixxer 1,000,000 and try to pass them on the back straight. I'm on a 600, so if they even make a little bit of an effort to think about twisting the throttle, they're gonna walk away from me. Then I quietly tuck into their draft. grin.gif At the end of the straight when they brake (WAY early. even my my wussy standards) I pop out and go steaming around them, go down 2 gears, toss the bike in, and wave at them with my left hand just as my right knee touches down. cool.gif

I pop out and go steaming around them, go down 2 gears, toss the bike in, and wave at them with my left hand just as my right knee touches down.

but remember...he's slow. tongue.gif

Sounds like a hoot, Mark! I had the same trouble as you when I took Level 4 of the Code School; I concentrated so much on the visual stuff, the body position stuff went right out the window. BUT, I still got smoother, and my lap times came down a lot. As sensay (SP?) Misty (Code School instructor) say: visual skills are VERY important to master before moving on to other things.

At my next track day in Pahrump, I felt pretty good with my visual skills by the end of the second session, so the rest of the day I worked body position as well. It's tough to get those two in harmony - when your head is down so low, it's difficult to see! smirk.gif On my new fizzer, I HAD to get the body position down, as the pegs would scrape if I didn't. I assume you probably have a similar issue with hard parts scraping with the GS. I have thought about raising the pegs a bit, but I think I will roll with this handicap a while longer to force me into a good body position! wink.gif

As for Christine the squid, I don't care who you are, that's funny right there! lmao.gif Hope I still get to see that squid in October at Femmoto!

Dood...these topics always give me a chub. Always. As I'm still not back to the track yet, living thru ye who get to go beat it up regular like is thrilling.

This topic more thrilling yet, because I actually (finally) get to see Road Atlanta for the AMA races Sept 1-3. Now with an air shot, and much real info about the track....it'll make my planning, and my enjoyment of the weekend that much gooder. thumbsup.gif

I too am a huge fan of the Pilot Powers. I'm on my 3rd set now. I can make 'em spin up/slide on the twisties in Utah/Cali, but, that's just goofin', and it does take work. An all around good tire IMO. I ran the Diablo Corsas on the track and loved them there. The new 1000RR comes with them for the street, and after last months trip to Torrey, I can attest that they work well there also. Ima go finish off this set of PP's this weekend in Torrey again.

Thanx for the write Dave/Mark. Killer stuff. Hope to see you both in Sept at Road Atlanta. thumbsup.gif

I'm sure I have not even come close to hitting the limit of what a GS can do on the track, but I do think I am ready to get a bike more suited to this type of riding.

I hear there's some great Italian in your area grin.gif

But seriously, I'm so jealous! As soon as I get over the self-inflicted stress of my new job, I hope to be a regular track junkie (or maybe just a 'user' compared to Baker!) on the Mille. Can't wait!

As always, thanks for the great analysis, David et al. I'm living vicariously through these posts!! Laguna looks incredible!!

There might be another 3-4 seconds in there with different body position, but that's about it. That's all she wrote, baby. Time for the FZ-1.

Looking forward to 3 straight days at Barber at the end of the month! David, always a pleasure riding with you. Thanks again for all the help. Also thanks for bringing the great setup for the pits. That really helped reduce the fatigue!

The pleasure's mine! Three straight days is going to be heaven. Hopefully the weather will be good. Not too hot, and dry.

Nate will be riding the 636 unless a spot opens up for him to ride his bike.

I still laugh my arse off watching the goofy looking GS passing Gixxers and the like! Great lean angle but aerodynamic as a brick! Reminds me of those commercials (can't remember what for) where the guy on the upright bicycle shows up at the start of the bike race, handlebar bell and all, and is passing all the racers! grin.gif Stand up for us GSers, Mark! (We need all the friends we can find! crazy.gif)

Thanx for the write Dave/Mark. Killer stuff. Hope to see you both in Sept at Road Atlanta. thumbsup.gif

Glad you're enjoying it, Gleno. Not sure if I'll make the Sept thing or not. I probably won't make the races (I'm not a crowd person), and I just found out that Jonathan wants to do a father-son stereo install in his Civic. I'm guessing it'll be more father than son, so it might take awhile. tongue.gif

Are you thinking of riding the local area before or after? I might be able to make that, depending on schedule, and I could probably bring a bike for you to ride.

Christopher, are you bringing the Mille to Barber in a few weeks? PM or email me if you want a list of things to bring that'll make your corner working experience a little more relaxed.

Really enjoyed the report guys!!! thumbsup.gif

A quick side question not worthy of it's own thread; UPS just brought me my first set of Pilot Powers, which I'm putting on the 650 since I already have Metz M3s on the 1000 (very good tire).

I'm looking forward to trying the powers after your experiences with them at the track.

I read somewhere they stick like glue and then let loose rather quickly. That appears to be incorrect information from reading your experience with them. Is it something for me to be on the lookout for, or do they let loose progressively when on the gas?

Is it something for me to be on the lookout for, or do they let loose progressively when on the gas?

Carl, I've not yet had the front slip appreciably (as long as you don't count the off-track excursion), but I've spun/slid the rear numerous times. In each case, there was plenty of feedback and very progressive adhesion.

No worries, my friend. You'll love them. Whereas before I had to wait nearly two laps before turning hooligan, I can ride hard after a few good curves to get them hot and sticky.

On that subject, I'm just impressed with any tire Michelin makes. I've been trying to buy a spare set of wheels, carriers, and rotors so that I can keep Michelin rain tires on hand and swap in the pit when it rains. No luck so far, though.

And if you're wondering about pressure, I've settled on 32.5 lbs.

Great post - I'm going to Frank Kinsey school on the 18th of September, this time on my track ready SV650. I'm looking forward to that.I hope to be more comfortable on the track this time and learn even more.

What days are you guys going to Road Atlanta again, maybe I could make it as well.

Mark - last year when I wen to the track in GA, after whole day on the track I reassembled my 11RT and rode it home for 6 hours, none one else out there could have done it - just to show how universal BMW's are.

What days are you guys going to Road Atlanta again, maybe I could make it as well.

Mark, I won't be at Road Atlanta again this year, but I'm going to schedule several days next year.

I've ridden an SV for a day and a half at Road Atlanta. Great fun, though a tad down on power.

I pop out and go steaming around them, go down 2 gears, toss the bike in, and wave at them with my left hand just as my right knee touches down. cool.gif

Do be careful showing off Russell. Those are the most entertaining pics when the show off ee gets the wiggles lmao.gif

A few "proofs" from the photographer that day. Here are a few of Mark:

mark1.jpg

mark2.jpg

mark3.jpg

Here are a few of mua:

david1.jpg

david2.jpg

david3.jpg

Here's one of the two of us at the same corner:

markdavid.jpg

And here's a good crash scene. tongue.gif

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

russell_bynum

Carl, I've not yet had the front slip appreciably (as long as you don't count the off-track excursion), but I've spun/slid the rear numerous times. In each case, there was plenty of feedback and very progressive adhesion.

I've had both ends slide a few times, and it is always really progressive and easy to feel. And I generally have to work pretty hard to get them to break loose in the first place.

Whereas before I had to wait nearly two laps before turning hooligan, I can ride hard after a few good curves to get them hot and sticky.

I agree. At Pahrump, I was getting my knee down by T4 on the first lap. It's an incredible tire.

On that subject, I'm just impressed with any tire Michelin makes. I've been trying to buy a spare set of wheels, carriers, and rotors so that I can keep Michelin rain tires on hand and swap in the pit when it rains. No luck so far, though.

The regular Pilot Power does pretty dang good in the wet. I've heard of quite a few club racers who use Powers as their rain tire.

But I agree...the Pilot Road is my favorite tire on the oilheads, the Pilot Power is a phenominal track day tire, and the Pilot Sport 2 was insanely good on Lisa's 528i.

With the PS2's on Lisa's car, the wet grip was really astounding. Dry grip and overall feel impressed me, but wet grip just blew me away.

Firefight911

David,

Nice report! Brings back the memories of this track!!! I raced the WERA Grand National Finals out there in 1990.

As Willow Springs (big track) was my home track, the high speeds were not an issue.

I heard that they re did the track some time back and eliminated/reduced the gravity cavity and its significant elevation differential after coming off the back straight?

I used to love the part as I would enter it on my FZR-600 at approx. 155 mph, drop down the hill, helmet smacks tank at bottom and launch up the hill under Nissan bridge (as it was called then) while downshifting three gears, haul to the right for the blind downhill 12. WooHoo!!!!!!!

Sounds like you're really doing great out there!

Love the nice red Georgia clay on the track! I remember having a few moments when I first got to the track where I did a little track detour off blind 1 when I was without good RP's. lmao.gif Just about the exact same scenario as yours!! Nice to know that corner hasn't changed.

Thanks for the report and thanks for the trip down memory lane! I do need to make next year my year to get back on track!! I "helped" the situation by taking over the organization/running ofour BMW rider club track day event. That should help a bit!!! grin.gif

Hey, David. Not sure. Are those "proofs?"

I think they might be. I'll write and ask.

(This was his first day shooting a S.T.T. event, which is why we look slow.)

David:

Just an observation and I noticed it with the last set of pictures you posted also, when you are laying the bike over, your outside knee is not hugging the tank it is pushed out, wing like, I wondered if you brought it is, pressing against the tank, would that improve your cornering angle and, reduce air drag lmao.gif

Unfortunately, you can't really do that on a Ducati or Aprilia or I would. The tank shape is significantly different. frown.gif

russell_bynum

Unfortunately, you can't really do that on a Ducati or Aprilia or I would. The tank shape is significantly different.

Sounds like a technique issue to me.

tongue.gif

Firefight911
I got your technique right here. smile.gif

Hey, you two! Enough! Don't you make me stop this car and come back there!! If I do, I'm crackin' skulls!! ooo.gif

StretchMark

...and why are you leaning so far forward?

Didn't you notice the tail wind? Note how I am taking full advantage. smirk.gif

david2.jpg

This was his first day shooting a S.T.T. event, which is why we look slow.

Uh, sure. Sounds like "Dog ate my homework" to me.

Putz pt.2

Thanks guys. I'll be mounting them in a day or two and am looking forward to really good tires on the bike.

Carl - I see you have a slew of SV's - I just put Micheline Power on my SV650 and I do like them - I see everyone else does like them as well.

Mark

Firefight911
Then we will need to refer to your knees as "Baker Wings" clap.gif

I can see the new DVD now: The Doctor, the Tornado, the Kid, and the Baker

Will you sign my copy, PLEASE???? eek.gif

Great, the baker feeeding the kid cookies. All the while a tornado brews that blows us out of Kansas and lands us in Tennessee in need of Doctor for a broken knee cap!

Archived