IGNORED

Trucks, bad communications, and bad assumptions

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Yesterday I was heading north through Ohio on I-75. Traveling in the left lane at about 75 MPH, I came up on a truck in the right lane doing maybe 65-70 MPH. As I got within about 25 feet of his back end, he signaled left; he wanted to come over to the passing lane to get by another truck that was in front of him in the driving lane. I slowed up, but I didn’t feel like waiting, so I flicked my high-beam rapidly maybe ten times or so, in what I thought was a clear indication of “LANE NOT CLEAR; DO NOT COME OVER.”

Although he didn’t stop signaling, he hesitated in the right lane, so I assumed my message had been received. I went WOT (fifth gear) in order to scoot by. Just as I got even with the back end of the truck, he began moving to the left lane. It wasn’t a violent lane change, but it was done with the alacrity you would expect of a driver who believes the lane is definitely his for the taking. By the time I was even with the rear axles of the cab, the whole rig was completely in the left lane – and I was on the four-foot-wide paved shoulder strip (one foot of which was rumble strip). I must have surprised the hell out of the truck driver when I appeared by his front fender doing about 25 MPH more than he was.

I managed to squeak by without contact, but it was, um, exciting. I spent a considerable amount of time on the rest of the trip home trying to understand what happened, and what I might do differently. Some thoughts/comments/questions:

Communication. Whereas a steady flash or two of the high-beams is understood to mean “all clear, I surrender right-of-way to you,” I had thought that sustained rapid flashing of lights (similar to what a headlight modulator does) meant just the opposite. Was I way off base on this? Did the trucker perhaps think that I was just one more retarded non-commercial driver making a lame attempt at the standard “I yield to you” message? If I was totally wrong, then is there a widely accepted method for communicating the “wait for me to get by” message that I wanted to send?

He may have also been confused by the fact that I lingered briefly after my headlight actions before accelerating. “Hm, bike sent ‘NOT OK’ message, but he’s waiting back there, I guess I’ll change lanes now.”

Assumptions. When the trucker lingered in the right lane, I assumed my message had been received and understood. The fact that his left turn signal remained active should have given me pause.

Emergency decisions. By the time I was even with his back end (and he started coming over into my lane), I was carrying quite a bit of speed. Had I gotten on the brakes, I still would have needed to swerve over onto the shoulder, and I’m not sure I could have easily done so under hard braking. In fifth gear, even at WOT I still was able to comfortable maneuver over onto that narrow shoulder strip, even with its freaky-rough rumble strip.

I didn’t bother getting on the horn during all of this. Even with dual air horns, it’s doubtful the trucker would have heard me at all, or even been able to do anything once he began his lane change.

Assertiveness. In retrospect, it was a dumb thing to try to communicate “no” to a truck. I’ve scooted past them before when I could see that they were going to want to change lanes, and I’ve pulled back to allow them in, but this is the first (and last) time I’ve said “no, I’m coming through first.”

It’s strange, I was only slightly rattled after all of this. I didn’t have the nauseating adrenaline overload that I’ve head during other OHMYGOD moments. Don’t know why. May be a bad thing, in that I didn’t appreciate the mortal danger, but I think it’s probably a good thing in that I was able to keep my cool and find the solution.

Whereas a steady flash or two of the high-beams is understood to mean “all clear, I surrender right-of-way to you,” I had thought that sustained rapid flashing of lights (similar to what a headlight modulator does) meant just the opposite. Was I way off base on this? Did the trucker perhaps think that I was just one more retarded non-commercial driver making a lame attempt at the standard “I yield to you” message?

I would have interpreted it the same way he did: keep flashing until you know the trucker sees that you are letting him over.

It’s strange, I was only slightly rattled after all of this. I didn’t have the nauseating adrenaline overload that I’ve head during other OHMYGOD moments. Don’t know why. May be a bad thing, in that I didn’t appreciate the mortal danger, but I think it’s probably a good thing in that I was able to keep my cool and find the solution.

I think that's a great thing. To me it says you've managed to counteract survival instincts confidently. thumbsup.gif

I would have interpreted it the same way he did: keep flashing until you know the trucker sees that you are letting him over.

Agreed. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to the pulsing of the flash. If you're in the 'open' lane and flash - it seems to be universal that you'll yield to the other vehicle. If you're directly behind a car (like on a 2-laner road) and flash-to-pass, you can get his/her attention while still right behind them and they can watch you move out into the passing lane - a clear indicator of your intentions.

Glad you made it out of that situation alright, JFF! thumbsup.gif

Whereas a steady flash or two of the high-beams is understood to mean “all clear, I surrender right-of-way to you,”..

This is the problem when it's not possible to turn off the lights on our bikes - when giving right-of-way to large commercial vehicles, the typical signal is to turn the lights off for a second, then back to on. When the lights are already off, such as in the daytime, then to send the ok-to-move-over signal, turn the lights or high beams on for a second, then fully off. If the driver is looking he/she should see this very readily, and typically will acknowledge once moved over with a flash of their taillights. I drove a heavy vehicle many years ago for a living and this is how it's always been. Try it while in your car/truck sometime.

Being as how it's not possible (without modification) to turn off the headlights on a motorcycle, I usually wait until the driver looks and wave them over.

...the typical signal is to turn the lights off for a second, then back to on. When the lights are already off, such as in the daytime, then to send the ok-to-move-over signal, turn the lights or high beams on for a second, then fully off. If the driver is looking he/she should see this very readily, and typically will acknowledge once moved over with a flash of their taillights...

I learned this from watching how trucks interact with each other and regularly practice it in my car. It's kinda neat when you get the acknowledgement back. But I'm a traffic dork.

If you wanted to pass the rig then I would not have signaled at all and just made the pass. But if I saw the signal on the truck I would have just held back a little until the truck was done doing it's thing. Passing other vehicles while in a semi seems to be a little more difficult than it is for the rest of us so I let them do it.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Whereas a steady flash or two of the high-beams is understood to mean “all clear, I surrender right-of-way to you,”..

This is the problem when it's not possible to turn off the lights on our bikes - when giving right-of-way to large commercial vehicles, the typical signal is to turn the lights off for a second, then back to on. When the lights are already off, such as in the daytime, then to send the ok-to-move-over signal, turn the lights or high beams on for a second, then fully off. If the driver is looking he/she should see this very readily, and typically will acknowledge once moved over with a flash of their taillights. I drove a heavy vehicle many years ago for a living and this is how it's always been. Try it while in your car/truck sometime.

Being as how it's not possible (without modification) to turn off the headlights on a motorcycle, I usually wait until the driver looks and wave them over.

Copy all of the above. Occasionally I drive a rig too and knowing that bikes cannot turn off their headlights I need to make sure that the coast is clear. If I'm looking in my sideview back at a bike, which is a good 100' plus or more, and I've been able to positively identify that it's a bike rather than a car, and he/she is not in my blind spot, and I can also get a positive lock that they don't have a modulator, and I get a coupla flashes when my signal is on, then I'll start my move. Sometimes, during daylight hours, it's hard to see your headlight depending on the angle of the sun, how clean my side window and mirror are and so on.

When I'm on the RT I give all means of courtesy to trucks. So, if I flash a few times and there is no action I'll flash a few more. If still no response I'll go all light brights & driving ON, hold for a few then flash a couple of times then turn them off. Usually if nothing happens then, I'll assume that the signal is accidentally on and I'll make my pass.

Keep in mind that just because you're flashing doesn't mean the driver is actively staring at his side view at that moment. There's a lot going on in a cab. In your occurance, I'd interpret the signals like the driver did.

I'm glad you came out of it okay. smile.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
You gave him permission to pass/no diff how many flashes.

Ah, then there is in fact no universally accepted way to say "not clear." Basically your choices are limited to either saying "yes," or saying nothing and trying to stay out of the way. crazy.gif A valuable lesson for the future... thumbsup.gif

Aluminum_Butt

Keep in mind that just because you're flashing doesn't mean the driver is actively staring at his side view at that moment.

This was my first thought, too. You may have flashed 10 times, but he may have only seen two (or none at all). Headlight flashes are not a guaranteed attention getter in daylight, especially (as has already been pointed out) the base line is low beam instead of no beam.

Glad you're OK! thumbsup.gif

Sorry, but I gotta vote against you in this case. To see how effective reasoning by light flashing is, read all the horn blowing, sonic whistle conversations with deer threads! Not that I equate a 3 brain cell forest rodent with a speeded out, hell bent for leather, long haul trucker but..... wink.gif More than any other vehicle, besides maybe city buses, MIMV (on the phone of course), import cars, domestic cars.... dopeslap.gif I give big rigs a WIIIIIIIDE berth. Who knows how many flashes he saw anyways? He may have only seen one or two and figured the rest were side effects!

So, you handled the beginning improperly but, like any well trained athlete, recovered nicely. thumbsup.gif

Crap, I type too slow. Sorry about the reduntant "how many flashes."

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I'm under the impression that flashing lights usually means 'okay to come over' to a truck. They use that form of communication when passing each other and sometimes motorhomes etc. IMO it's easy to see the miscommunication...

What do you suppose whould have been the result if you just turned on, and left on, your high beam?

I slowed up, but I didn’t feel like waiting...

Although he didn’t stop signaling...

On the bike this is presription for potential disaster. When I ride, I consciously discontinue the "I don't want to wait" instinct -- I stop for yellow lights, allow last minute lane changes by cages without laying on the horn, etc. A truck with his signal on owns the road as far as I'm concerned. The mental calculus is easy -- if he moves in my lane and squishes me, I'm dead, he's inconvenienced. I lose. If I let him move over he doesn't squish me, I'm not dead, he's not inconvenienced. We both win. If he doesn't move over and turns his signal off then I got to ride the bike a few seconds (or minutes) more than if I jetted past him. We both win.

The only scenario I lose is if I am impatient and push past. I only "win" in this case if he doesn't actually move over & squish me. The gain doesn't seem to outweigh the risk.

Jim

Something else worth mentioning, is that when coming up on a large truck, take brief note of what's in front of the truck. If there's a vehicle directly ahead of the truck and looks like the gap in between them is rather meager or closing noticeably, assume that the truck will want to pass and that a lane-change signal may be imminent.

Your actions should then be tailored accordingly. grin.gif

Paul Mihalka

Well, I do it my way grin.gif : When I want to give way for the truck to pass, I slow a bit, make more space between him and I, and possibly pull in behind him to pass. If I am ready to pass when he puts his turn signal on, I also expect him to look in his mirror. So I shift down to the gear that gives me the best acceleration and GO. In Mitch's case I would have been in 4th gear. No light signals involved.

Ahhhh . . . , young weedhoppa. Control your own destiny while dancing the deadly tango with traffic, or it will define your destiny for you.

eek.gif

I slowed up, but I didn’t feel like waiting...

Although he didn’t stop signaling...

On the bike this is presription for potential disaster. When I ride, I consciously discontinue the "I don't want to wait" instinct -- I stop for yellow lights, allow last minute lane changes by cages without laying on the horn, etc. A truck with his signal on owns the road as far as I'm concerned. The mental calculus is easy -- if he moves in my lane and squishes me, I'm dead, he's inconvenienced. I lose. If I let him move over he doesn't squish me, I'm not dead, he's not inconvenienced. We both win. If he doesn't move over and turns his signal off then I got to ride the bike a few seconds (or minutes) more than if I jetted past him. We both win.

The only scenario I lose is if I am impatient and push past. I only "win" in this case if he doesn't actually move over & squish me. The gain doesn't seem to outweigh the risk.

Jim

So basically what it comes down to is Right of way is determined by Tonnage. tongue.gif

I lived in Germany for a few years (military) and the signal I remember for someone going very fast behind me was to be in the passing lane with my left blinker staying on. I don't know if it was universal but it got the message across and I remember not to pass in front of those vehicles.

Of course, it was also a place where vehicles (truck, car, or otherwise) only stayed in the passing lane when they were actually passing and no one EVER passed on the right because they didn't feel like they had no other choice... In the states, I'm always assuming the other guy doesn't know any rules of the road and playing it more cautiously.

Doppelganger

I haven't driven a big rig, but did a lot of miles in a straight truck.

If you had left your brights on, I would have hesitated to take the lane until I knew your intentions.

The flashing (any number) means "Go ahead and take the lane".

Mitch, I think the basic error arose in not regarding yourself as invisible, and driving accordingly. You CANNOT communicate with any other driver in any fashion reliable enough to bet your life on.

However, I completely understand your lack of a nerve attack afterwards. Absent someone parked on the shoulder ahead of you, for an experienced, good rider the issue was never in doubt.

Pilgrim

Sorry, buddy, but I'm with Marty on this one.

The one thing I would add, at least based on my past experiences and riding style, is this: If I'm in the exact situation as you described, I flash and give way to the truck. Unless I am really flying up behind the truck, and I know that I have a place to go if he moves over on me, then I let him/her come over.

Too many times I've been next to a truck when it has moved over on me. Fortunately for me, I have always had time to blast by or I had room to move onto the shoulder and get by.

Have you tried Morse code? tongue.gifgrin.gif

Deserved or not, I have a cynical view when trusting trucks and give them plenty of room. And when I pass, I pass quickly and authoritatively.

While in a cage I had unnerving experience on how trucks can be road bullies. I was in a passing lane on the interstate about 5 cars lengths back of a vehicle that I was going to overtake albeit slowly. A Semi sped up from behind to right along side me on the right. While I was even with his trailer, he just pulled into my lane. I either had to get out of his way or be hit. The intent was very obvious.

I guess one question that pops into my head - What made you think he actually saw you at all? Your big mistake may have been assuming that there was any communication or even recognition, going on at all.

It's kind of the old thing with having made direct eye contact with the lady who turns left in front of you. Sure we may have made eye contact, but did we make brain contact?

To me, in these types of scenarios our mental process should be less on communication with, and by extension trying to influence someone else, and more on plotting our own next move, determine and being cocked to execute an escape route should the situation deteriorate further, etc.

And I have to second the comment about impatience gets us sometimes. It is a great killer on a bike.

The other thing that we have to remember and be prepared to deal with is the, 'I don't care factor.' As horrible as it may seem, there are certainly people out there who feel their priorities of the moment are so much more important than yours, that if they see a bike in THEIR way, they're going to move to get to where they want to be regardless. They figure the bike can (or should have) moved out of their way. They have at best, a careless disregard for riders.

Still, it sounds like you handled the recovery of the situation extremely well Mitch. thumbsup.gif

So basically what it comes down to is Right of way is determined by Tonnage.
In the reality of day-to-day 'urban warfare' riding, yes.

We should never loose sight of the fact that in a collision between a bike and a _________, the rider almost always comes up on the loosing end of the deal on way or another.

What it comes down to is legally the person on the bike may have (had) the right of way, but they end up being just as legally dead.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I guess one question that pops into my head - What made you think he actually saw you at all? Your big mistake may have been assuming that there was any communication or even recognition, going on at all.

At this point I honestly don't remember if I saw him looking back in his mirror or not. Usually when I'm flashing the "OK to come over" signal, I look in his mirror to see when he's actually looking; I would like to think I did the same thing in this case. I guess the thing that made me believe he saw me (AND understood/respected my intention to pass by first) was that he hesitated in the right lane for so long. Clearly a dangerous and stupid assumption on my part, especially given the fact that his turn signal never stopped blinking.

And I have to second the comment about impatience gets us sometimes. It is a great killer on a bike.

I'm usually pretty good at being patient; whether in my car or on my bike, I snicker at the other driver changing lanes like Mario Andretti, trying to inch their way forward without really stopping to see what traffic is going to do in the next 15-20 seconds. Don't know what happened this time. Just kind of a mindset of "wait a minute, you've been hanging around behind that other semi, I've been approaching rapidly from the rear, and NOW you suddenly want to come over and pass? Come on, wait 'til I get by!" Clearly still more patience is called for, even when receiving the short end of the stick like this.

Still, it sounds like you handled the recovery of the situation extremely well Mitch. thumbsup.gif

Hey, any ride you can walk away from... thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Your signal was an ok for him to move over. You stated you hesitated before deciding not to wait, bad move as he knows he will lose momentum for his pass if he waits for you to decide.

..., I look in his mirror to see when he's actually looking; I would like to think I did the same thing in this case...

Even if he looks like he's looking, and he may appear to be looking right at you, he may not be seeing you. At all.

I don't think flashing lights can be construed as a signal, unless the bright is left on for a longer period. Bike lights bounce, so he may have thought you were just laying back & not signaling at all.

I keep the left signal on..., but if you're coming up real fast, he may start to pull out, thinking he has room. Glad you came out OK.

Ah, then there is in fact no universally accepted way to say "not clear." Basically your choices are limited to either saying "yes," or saying nothing and trying to stay out of the way. crazy.gif A valuable lesson for the future... thumbsup.gif

As a trucker, I would have taken your signal as a courteous "Take the lane," which as a trucker and motorcyclist I think you should have done. It takes the slight twist of the wrist to get your 600# bike back up to speed, a truck, a little bit more energy!

But it sounds like it was just a slight miscommunication, no harm done. If it had happened in a check out line, we wouldn't be talking about it! smile.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
If it had happened in a check out line, we wouldn't be talking about it! smile.gif
You can bring your bike into the check-out lane? grin.gif
AdventurePoser

Mitch,

I am glad this turned out ok for you. Around here, a dip of the lights means, "Come on over..." With the constant on of our lights, I can see where the signals got crossed.

Thanks for posting this, and again, glad you are OK!

Steve in So Cal

Mitch, glade you made it ok.

I call on a couple of truck shops and I talk with over the road drivers about all this kind of road stuff and this is what I know.

With the CB radio the old light signals have all but been forgotten.Only the flash "all clear pull over is used much any more.

Too many drivers are on their cell phones all too much. Start looking around and you"ll see this.

No they are just people that drive big stuff and often don"t give one hoot about anyone else.The idea of the shinning road knight is not real accurate.

Lot's of foreign drivers here for the $$. After talking to them I wonder what language they took the CDL in.Maybe thats why you see erratic sudden lane changes etc.as the driver doesn't read the signs well. Not all signal at all.

Ever been behind 2 side by side rigs that run for miles neither giving an inch to the other?? What's that about??

All the responses here have been right.

I'd personally

rather blast pass than be behind a rig that suddenly blows a tire with no place for me to go but what do you do??

Heck I've seen cages take to the breakdown lane to pass traffic with no sight lines.at all.

Riding out here is tough. We all make split decisions on the roads that are life threating all the time.

RIDE SAFE as you can. This is a self eliminating sport.

I don't interpret a turn signal as a request to move over...when I turn on the signal it is a statement that I AM moving over, with or without your permission. Permission is nice but when a driver speeds up to deny it, I usually come over anyway since my vehicle is 10+ years old. wave.gif

My thinking has evolved after many years of "asking permission" only to have the other driver speed up and close up the hole. Now I just don't give a damn.

I wouldn't take this approach with a motorcycle, however. thumbsup.gif

...when I turn on the signal it is a statement that I AM moving over...

yep.

too many people signal and then look to see if it's clear.

Look first, signal your intent, make the move, stop signaling.

/rant

AdventurePoser

I'd personally

rather blast pass than be behind a rig that suddenly blows a tire with no place for me to go but what do you do??

So true...J and I were in the car when a semi tire blew next to us, and about 200 yds ahead. What an explosion-I couldn't imagine being hit with a chunk of tread at those velocities.

Ride safe all...

Steve in So CAl

I don't interpret a turn signal as a request to move over...when I turn on the signal it is a statement that I AM moving over, with or without your permission. Permission is nice but when a driver speeds up to deny it, I usually come over anyway since my vehicle is 10+ years old. wave.gif

My thinking has evolved after many years of "asking permission" only to have the other driver speed up and close up the hole. Now I just don't give a damn.

Yeah, for the most part, that's the attitude needed to drive in California (and from my experience, in most really large metro areas). However, that attitude will definitely get you in trouble if a local LEO sees you driving that way in more "out of the way" places - mostly because it's not needed. (don't ask me how I know)

Many of my N. Cal friends don't even bother to signal because it "gives the other drivers more time to foil the maneuver."

Most truck drivers are competent and courteous.

That said, I have seen so much bad big rig driving in the past few years that I am not sure if the operators are ignorant, arrogant, stupid or homicidal. (I was a big rig operator for a few years in my sallow youth, so I have some insight into bad driving). The worst common offense I come across is waiting until you are at the tail end of their truck with 25 MPH speed differential when they decide to take your lane to pass. The only defense is to assume they will take any opportunity to turn you into a grease spot, give them room, and pass with all do speed. Good Luck!

Permission is nice but when a driver speeds up to deny it,..

This is mainly a problem if you're in moderate-to-heavy traffic and activate the signal way, way in advance of making the move, like say, four seconds or more. That gives someone with a chip on their shoulder time to close the gap. I make it a habit to scan for an adequate opening of at least 2 car lengths (they're there - you just have to be alert), then begin to make the maneuver into that slot no later than a second after activating the signal. Have had few problems with being cut off.

Of course, when I'm driving (or riding) around, three things apply: 1) I'm typically not in any hurry. 2) I don't look like I'm in a hurry. Impatience is something that people pick up on and sometimes may try to push back against, as most impatient drivers tend to do rather stupid things, like weaving back and forth in traffic, or trying to squeeze into an exit lane at the last moment. 3) If I need to move over (typically to make a turn or get off the freeway), I move over way in advance, doubly so if the traffic is pretty heavy.

Legally (in the UK at least), flashing the headlight simply means "I am here".

However in real life, in that situation, Flashing the headlamp would generally mean take the lane. If I wanted to hold the lane, I would put main beam (and spotlights) on and probably the right(UK) hand indicator as well; and left them on till I was past him.

Most of the trucks here are restricted to around 56mph or just below. Therefore passing tends to be quicker due to the higher speed differential.

Paul Mihalka
Most of the trucks here are restricted to around 56mph or just below. Therefore passing tends to be quicker due to the higher speed differential.
Here in the USA many Interstate highways have lower speed limits for trucks than for cars. Nobody pays any attention to it. Not the truck drivers and not the police.
Here in the USA many Interstate highways have lower speed limits for trucks than for cars. Nobody pays any attention to it. Not the truck drivers and not the police.

In the EU trucks must be fitted with governors limiting their speed to 90KPH (56MPH). Trucks must be fitted with a device that records speed and time, the records must be submitted to the authorities. These are used to enforce maximum speeds, maximum permitted driving time and minimum rest period times. Violations are heavily penalised.

Andy

Paul Mihalka
In the EU trucks must be fitted with governors limiting their speed to 90KPH (56MPH). Trucks must be fitted with a device that records speed and time, the records must be submitted to the authorities. These are used to enforce maximum speeds, maximum permitted driving time and minimum rest period times. Violations are heavily penalised.

Andy

Show this to a US truck driver and quickly cover your ears! smirk.gif

Thanks Mitch.....Another learning (re-learned?) "Assumption".........Good analysis and I think that the big "A" is the most important...Old and obvious; "They are all out to kill me or they can't see me and might kill me"...........

Phil........Redbrick

For me, unless I can see the driver in his mirror and have established communications with him where I can see he knows I am there, I assume I will be dog meat and give him the right of way. This is especialy so for me with any hesitation or indicision on the part of the driver...and where two rigs ae competing with each other.

Joe Frickin' Friday
For me, unless I can see the driver in his mirror and have established communications with him where I can see he knows I am there, I assume I will be dog meat and give him the right of way. This is especialy so for me with any hesitation or indicision on the part of the driver...and where two rigs ae competing with each other.

Based on his initial pause, and then the swiftness with which he changed lanes after my signaling efforts, I have no doubt that he saw me coming up behind him, and then saw my headlight signal. The problem arose in part, I believe, because I was sending a different message than I thought I was sending. Likely he stopped looking in his mirror once he had decided it was OK to change lanes, and then just focused on changing lanes.

ShovelStrokeEd

Mitch,

That is probably it in a nutshell.

I spend a lot of time on the interstates while on my bike and have always used my high beams and then a dip to the low to indicate to a truck that it is OK for him to come over into my lane. I have noticed that cars wanting to do the same thing will give all sorts of signals from turning on their lights or brights. As someone stated earlier, used to be that trucks would signal to each other by turning off their headlights as the signal to "come on over". Likely, he just misinterpreted your flashing as some form of signal that it was OK.

I try to be aware of what big rigs are likely to do. Most of the time, they are pretty good about using their signals and planning a pass. Sometimes they get into situations where they are, due mostly to bad planning but sometimes the traffic, forced to make a choice between maintaining momentum (switching lanes with a slower truck in front) and your well being. Not all of them choose to make the latter their biggest concern.

I have had some experience driving a heavily laden rig and can tell you that often enough, the difference between pulling an upcoming grade at 65 or 70 and winding up at 40 or less can be only a few mph at the bottom of the hill. Despite the huge torque numbers those rigs produce, when you're at 80K lbs, momentum is everthing when it comes to grades.

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

silliness is not restricted to trucks either.. yesterday I was on the Interstate, in my Jeep, and had a clear lane ahead of me.. a group of female riders were in the lane to my right.. as I neared them one of the "ladies" put her signal on and immediately moved into my lane.. I moved over to the left, one lane.. and after I passed her she moved back into her original lane.. never passed anyone.. signaled anyone or did anything that would have made her lane change seem necessary... shrug. But even that wasn't as crazy as the pickup that moved across 3 traffic lanes to take an exit.. at the last second.. waited so late he actually crossed over the white lines that defined the exit ramp edge, nearly taking out a car that had already committed to taking the exit. So.. ya just haveta watch and be prepared for any eventuality as much as ya can.

But even that wasn't as crazy as the pickup that moved across 3 traffic lanes to take an exit.. at the last second.. waited so late he actually crossed over the white lines that defined the exit ramp edge, nearly taking out a car that had already committed to taking the exit.

That, and last-second maneuvers like it, seem to be a disturbingly common occurrence on the freeways around here....

I've not had the exact experience you've had, but something in the same realm. Instead of you coming up on a truck, what do you do when the truck is coming up from behind you?

I've had this happen twice, once was down around Savannah, GA, prior to the last El Paseo, and second was a week or so ago up around Madison, WI. Both times I didn't even get a signal from the trucker. The first time I was riding in the middle lane of a three-laner, minding my own riding, when the truck came up from behind me in the right lane to beside me on the right, and then promptly decided the middle lane I was occupying was where the truck was going to go. I have no idea how he didn't see me since he came up from behind me. I swear the trailer of the truck was so close to me I could have touched it for balance. crazy.gif I was forced over into the far left lane and suddenly a car came whipping around me onto the shoulder.

The second time a week or so ago I was in the far right lane of a two-laner, just minding my own riding, and the truck passed me on the left in the fast lane and just promptly decided he was coming over into the right lane and I had to brake as much as could without getting the car behind me up my backside and ride off onto the shoulder (and onto that "warning bump strip"--which sometimes sounds like one of the tripods in "War of the Worlds" grin.gif) until I could recover back into the right lane.

Both times I had no time or opportunity to do any of the "communicating" you talk of in your post. I had no warning or "headlight" flashing to do because the truck was the aggressor. And as I mentioned before, how I was not seen (I know, I know, I'm on a motorcycle and should assume I am not seen, but still...) is beyond me since both times the truck came up from behind me to pass.

Amazingly, I had the same reaction to both of my truck "close encounters". Even down the road when I fully realized how close I have come to being road kill, it's funny how it almost seems like it didn't phase me. Perhaps it happens so quickly and both times, as with you, Mitch, I just calmly braked as much as I could to save myself from having the cars behind me run me over, and swerved to where I could.

The thing about both incidents with me, and with you, that troubles me is: how many times will this happen before there won't be anywhere for me (or any of us) to go but into another car? Or like my first time when I had to move over into the far-left fast-lane, will the car behind me not be paying enough attention and run me over?

Let's hope it never comes to that.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear you made it. Most impressive, however, is your situation assessment and sharing so others are sensitized.

I do it Paul’s way; not because I am smart, but because when I decided to ride years ago, I committed to managing risk by either creating more space or minimizing exposure time, and to riding well within my envelope around others to help compensate for anyone (including ME) doing something stupid stupid - either intentional or unintentional. Over the years I have managed to keep that commitment by speeding up, slowing down, varying lane position, or avoiding things altogether by going a different route. As I ride, I am also constantly scanning and playing my “what if” game. It doesn’t give me pleasure to see what I have predicted come true, especially when someone gets hurt, but rather feeling thankful and lucky I was in the right place at the right time prepared to do the right thing. Because of that, most of my butt-puckers have been self-inflicted with enough personal envelope remaining to recover from my stupidity.

My brother was an over-the-road driver. Talking to him one day, Glenn told me to allow one mile margin of safety for a rig to stop or execute a full lane change, two miles to get up to speed from a dead stop, and not to mess around with them within 1,000 feet front or back (ESPECIALLY up or down hills). I follow that rule. It has worked so far.

All that said, stuff happens to good people because no matter what we do or say we cannot control everything or the actions of others. Most of the time all we can do is do is avoid or react in the best way we know how, and focus on practicing the “know how”. I would much rather die (I’m more afraid of HURTING than dying), than to have never enjoyed living.

Archived