IGNORED

WA State Patrol Concerned About Spike In Motorcycle Deaths

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

In this interesting article by the Associated Press it states that while the licensed riders are up 60%, motorcycle deaths are up 89%. The WA State Patrol biases this heavily towards Harley riders, at least in this article. The article goes on to say that it's the middle aged returning rider that is most apt to have an accident.

This post is not any slant against HD riders. I just thought it to be an interesting read. This weekend in Seattle is our Seafair celebration, with the hydro races, Blue Angels and other aerial acts, Navy ships docking at the piers and generally a big party.

I know that alcohol is prevalent and I'll be more alert.

Their conclusion about what is causing the problem and their solution don't seem to equate. Education may be a better answer. A number of the fatalities around here seem more related to inexperience, either operating the bike or making poor judgements about the cage traffic.

We're seeing people dying who are between 45 and 60. They can afford to get their first bike or take it up after a hiatus," Rudeen said. "The problem is, those Harleys weigh a couple hundred pounds, and they're a whole different animal than a car."

A couple of hundred pounds!?!? confused.gif Times four, maybe>

confused.gif Huh?

I only see the word 'Harley' appear once in the article - and it's uttered by one trooper who thinks a Harley weighs "a couple hundred pounds" (think again, Mr Trooper sir). I don't think the WA State PAtrol heavily biases anything against HD in any sort of way.

Most of the focus of the article DOES seem to reflect the lack of skills by middle-aged novice and/or re-entry riders. A valid point IMHO given the recent history of 40+ yr old riders sharply increasing in the fatality rates per VMT (Vehicle Mile Traveled). It's kind of a 'duh' finding - you'd expect the fastest growing segment of the market for newly registered bikes to also spike in the representation of fatalities along with woefully inadequate training and skills. It's simple math.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
confused.gif Huh?

I only see the word 'Harley' appear once in the article -

Okay. Perhaps it would have been more accurate of me to say that they only mention Harleys and not another brand or type of bike. These days most any cruiser of any brand is ubiquitously labeled a Harley.

I still don't see it as a 'Harley' problem. Any other bike mfr could've been the object of the boomers' infatuation and the same result would likely have occurred. Unless, of course, that 'other' mfr would've been BMW - as their bikes can actually stop safely with little/no skill required by the rider other than to just mash the brake lever/pedal. grin.gif (Just kidding......a little smirk.gif)

John Moylan
...Unless, of course, that 'other' mfr would've been BMW - as their bikes can actually stop safely with ....just mash the brake lever/pedal.

[sarcasm]....of course I see by your avatar we share that unique vehicle.........with the linked front/rear brakes, we just need to operate 50% of the controls to stop.... tongue.giftongue.gif,....those unfortunates on newer stuff (R12RT etc)....will need more presence of mind to operate both lever AND pedal smirk.gif, seeing as BMW clicked on 'undo' on the design board of the newer bikes........[/sarcasm]

AdventurePoser

There are riders on this board who are much better than I, and always will be. Still, after approx. 200,000 miles of moto riding I have yet to fall down.

That being said, I think the problem of rising mc deaths does have to do with experience, knowledge, and training.

While luck may have helped me remain accident free, I think reading, practicing, and moto classes are the bigger reasons I've stayed dent-free so far.

From my perception, I see many re entry riders who just hop on, and think they can ride like they did 30 years ago. My own neighbor is a great case in point. He decided to buy a K1100RS and start riding after a 35 year hiatus.

He scares me. I've gently chided him, and talked to him about taking an MSF class, at least. His response is, "I already know all that stuff."

Cheers,

Steve

While luck may have helped me remain accident free, I think reading, practicing, and moto classes are the bigger reasons I've stayed dent-free so far.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

He scares me. I've gently chided him, and talked to him about taking an MSF class, at least. His response is, "I already know all that stuff."

He'd scare me too. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone WOULDN'T want to learn and practice new skills. It makes you an ever-improving rider and that, IMNSHO, is more than half the fun!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
He'd scare me too. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone WOULDN'T want to learn and practice new skills. It makes you an ever-improving rider and that, IMNSHO, is more than half the fun!
One of my coworkers wants to be taught how to ride better. She's ridden little bikes before. I suggested she take a course and she would, but that they are booked for the next few months. Oh yeah, her husband says that she doesn't have to take one...cause he'll show her how...by taking her out on rides...he on one bike and her on another. I asked her if he'd be interested in an advanced class and of course she said the answer would be a resounding NO.

She did say that if she really decides to do it, all she has to say is she'll be more confident in a class and apparently he'll back off. Since he knows it all, I don't think I'll ever ride with him, cause I sure don't know it all. I just ride every day of the year.

One of my coworkers wants to be taught how to ride better. She's ridden little bikes before. I suggested she take a course and she would, but that they are booked for the next few months. Oh yeah, her husband says that she doesn't have to take one...cause he'll show her how...by taking her out on rides...he on one bike and her on another. I asked her if he'd be interested in an advanced class and of course she said the answer would be a resounding NO.

She did say that if she really decides to do it, all she has to say is she'll be more confident in a class and apparently he'll back off. Since he knows it all, I don't think I'll ever ride with him, cause I sure don't know it all. I just ride every day of the year.

At least have her read the first chapter of Proficient Motorcycling... They can't BOTH be really bad at math.

Maybe she'd keep reading too.

..... Oh yeah, her husband says that she doesn't have to take one...cause he'll show her how...by taking her out on rides...he on one bike and her on another. I asked her if he'd be interested in an advanced class and of course she said the answer would be a resounding NO.

And the frailness of the machismo ego rears its ugly ahead again. -sigh- A shame he may be putting her at risk too with his bullheadness.

Since he knows it all, I don't think I'll ever ride with him, cause I sure don't know it all. I just ride every day of the year.

Y'know - he COULD be an excellent rider in his own regard. But there's just something about that type of personality that scares me too - at least in how they can affect me. It's been my experience that the truly BEST people in whatever they do - music, riding, work, etc. are voracious about learning new skills and tend to view their experiences as a journey, not a destination.

FWIW - I'd probably be more than a little leary of riding alongside him too.

New rider ownership is way up, and gas prices aren’t helping. I recently counted 7 acquaintances that have purchased their first bikes in the last 8 or so months that are in their mid 30’s to late 40’s. One told me TODAY that the day he got his home, he couldn’t stop and dumped his brand new SuziHondaYamiHarly on his front lawn in front of all his neighbors. I to suggested a class to which he responded “naw, I’ll get the hang of it” to which I replied, “not with me anywhere around you”.

140 HP bike for your first bike, totally braindead. To top it off, he road to work today in shorts… tongue.gif

I posted this in May under “Another bay area fatality”: I don’t know if you guys read Friction Zone, but there was an article on the statistics of motorcycle accidents in the May issue titled Older Riders, Bigger Bikes, Alcohol. The jest of it was that most motorcycle accidents statistically involve 40-50 year old riders, “big” bikes, and alcohol these days. This is a very interesting article. It implied the “Harley crowed” made up the majority of biker related accidents.

I've gently chided him, and talked to him about taking an MSF class, at least. His response is, "I already know all that stuff."

I'd only have suggested the class once, and after getting that sort of brush off, would never mention it again. In the event that he manages to end up in the hospital in a state where he can communicate, I'd ask him, "It seems you must not have known all of it, wouldn't you say?"

Of course, I'd only ask that once. smile.gif

Steve Carr wrote:

There are riders on this board who are much better than I, and always will be. Still, after approx. 200,000 miles of moto riding I have yet to fall down.

That being said, I think the problem of rising mc deaths does have to do with experience, knowledge, and training.

From my perception, I see many re entry riders who just hop on, and think they can ride like they did 30 years ago. My own neighbor is a great case in point. He decided to buy a K1100RS and start riding after a 35 year hiatus.

Cheers,

Steve

Same thing here. I have a buddy, having ridden (not owned) a Honda 90 in high school and always wanting a Harley, went out and bought one. He said the bike was " a lot more than what I was used to" (30 years after high school). I mentioned MSF, CLASS, other riding schools - same response "I know how to ride". In a unique mind meld with Steve, I cited a few years experience, this board,and strongly recommended he obtain some trainng. I offered to spend some time with him if he wanted (I know a lot of you are shuddering now).

We'll just have to see...

One of the officers at my wife's PD recently bought a new bike. This gal is about 5'3" 110#, first bike is a HD Dyna Low Rider, she has taken the MSF class and has a motorcycle endorsement on her CDL. She has dropped the bike several times, all in parking lots, at low or no speed. Her case is like so many others, the bike is just too big & heavy; and she hasn't developed the needed confidence/skills.

I happened across 3 new riders in the last 2 months. None had licenses. 2 were riding as a "fashion statement." One figured he just wanted to save gas. None were serious about riding well. Riding well is demanding and requires concentration. I just hope that the increased number of "casual" riders won't simply drive up insurance rates and further muddy the waters about safety in motorcycling. On the other hand, I have noticed Many more motorcycles on the road, which may condition 4-wheel drivers to do a better job of looking for motorcycles. (Nothing to bet on....)

Archived