IGNORED

Two-up to Auburn

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

My favorite ride is the next one I take with my Flame! As it turns out, the "next" ride was to Auburn to attend the 49'r rally. Since we'd both played hookey from work on Friday, it was an early start for us on Friday.

The Flame's idea of a fun ride is lots of miles, scenery, and serious speed, not necessarily in that order. As it turns out, blitzing up US 395 and having Coleville CA as our Friday destination met all of her needs...

The traffic was light as we turned north on 395. Once we passed Kramer Junction, the traffic thinned way out, and, with the Valentine One set on full, we flew up the eastern side of the Sierras. The weather was warm and the scenery green as we throttled down into Bishop for lunch at Schaat's Bakery. After sharing a huge roastbeef sandwich we saddled up and continued our trek.

Ever mindful of the nearly continuous Ka band radar hits we were getting, Jennifer and I kept the ponies under control up and out of the valley and over the Sherwin grade. Jennifer had never been to Mammoth, so we took a quick detour up thru the village for a quick look and return. Ditto for June Lake...

By now the weather had turned to a balmy 76 degrees and incredibly blue skies. Whizzing past Lundy Lake we began thinking about our destination for the evening, the MeadowCiff Motel and restaurant.

If you've never ridden this road, US 395 north of June Lake and Lee Vining is fantastic. Lots of wide open sweepers, a few tighter curves and an absence of traffic makes this 100 miles an RT's playground! I could hear Jennifer laughing in my headset around each and every curve! On Caveat however...watch for deer. They are all over the place!

Finally, the day's fun was over as we pulled into the motel's parking lot. Make the MeadowCliff a stop when you are in the area. Tim and Mary love bikes and they have done a beautiful job with their place. Set against a spectacular cliff, the motel over looks countless thousands of acres of meadows, cattle ranches and stunning Sierra beauty. And to top it off, there is a restaurant on site that puts out a pretty good dinner and breakfast...

The next morning after homemade biscuits fruit and eggs we took the short hop to the junction of US 395 and CA 89. Turning left it was twist and shout in the mountains as we flew through the curves, slowing down only for Markleeville and the Alpine Co Sheriff's Department!

Lots of snow up here and the temps were cool. No traffic until we linked up with US 50 and the short ride to the South Shore of Lake Tahoe. Since The Flame had never been here, we played tourist, stopping at Emerald Bay to gawk at the lake and snap some pics.

Speed limits are low through this stretch, and the CHP could be seen giving lots of Fast Driver Certificates. We kept it down until I-80 and the quick blast into Auburn and the rally.

In all, a great high-speed ride through some of the most astounding scenery eastern California has to offer. Great accomodations at the MeadowCliff too. In all, this is a trip that neither of us will ever forget!

Oh, the rally? It was ok too...but, how to get home with maximum scenery, twisties and great food? Yep, it was the coast!

I-80 to 5, south to 33, and down to the CA 152 put us on the cool, drizzly foggy coast. Scenery was still magnificent, as was the seafood, and Sunday late afternoon found us in Morro Bay, laughing over clam chowder. What a day!

In all, a great ride...The Flame behind me, the bike purring like a kitten, and the miles flying by. Does it get better than this? I doubt it!

Steve in So Cal

Hmmmm, Sunday, late afternoon, Morro Bay, Laughing, Clam Chowder huh??

We were all the exact same, save for 4 miles North in Cayucas doing the same thing at the Sea Shanty.

Wish we'd have seen you. We turned left on the 41, headed for Atascadero for the night at about 430 or 5pm.

long distance rider

Hey Steve, the ride gets better and more interesting the farther north you go. I have ridden 395 from Richland to Mojave (actually I think it turns off just north of Mojave)several times and it is for the most part a no traffic high speed blast.

When you guys head up this summer it would be my recommended route. If my mind clears up a little I will think of the name of the great basque resturant that Nancy and stopped at on our last trip....these senior moments are getting closer together.....

Marty Hill

Hi Steve,

I'm going to be on 395 this aug. Where is the meadowcliff motel?

Thanks,

Hi Steve -

Wish I had known you were going to be in Mammoth. I was there all weekend - did some great Sierra riding including Tioga Pass Road (opened Saturday AM). Sounds like you guys had a great ride. Hopefully we'll get in a ride together this summer.

AdventurePoser

Hey, Glenno,

Now that is funny....what a coincidence!

Steve

ps-I enjoyed your ride report!

AdventurePoser

Hey Rocky,

Way cool meeting you too! Thanks for the demo of your RT seat. Email me at scarr@walnutvalley.k12.ca.us for a ride-in time for a new seat. Saturdays are best for JP and I, however after June 20 we do have a little midweek time.

What are your thoughts betwen leather and vinyl?

Steve

Steve

Steve, Met a number of board members but missed you. Perhaps another time. or next years Rally. Also missed not seeing Mike as well. Especially at the Trials riding since they only had 7 riders.

Later

AdventurePoser

Yep, I'd heard you were there, but we just didn't get to meet face-to-face.

Jennifer and I are not really Rally People. We really don't know what to do in a large crowd of strangers. Yet, we really enjoyed ourselves. Lots of great bikes, the weather was perfect, and the ride up was incredible! I'd never seen the Eastern Sierra in mid-May!

See ya on the road!

Steve in So Cal

Archived