IGNORED

Semi-Lane Splitting

Mike

While I get a little nervous reading about lane splitting in California, I wish it was universally legal.

I'm a little bit of a coward (okay, I'm a big coward grin.gif), but I sure do wish that I could at least "filter" toward the front of the queued cagers on those days when the heat index is in the triple figures. I also get the heebie-jeebies when I feel that I'm getting boxed in by cagers.

But, like I said, I'm a coward.

So, what I do is this--I "semi-lane split." It's much the same as California-style lane splitting, except that I don't split through the gap of cars that are parallel to one another. Rather, I position myself close to the lane divider and try to take advantage of small gaps that appear as one car edges past the one in its adjacent lane. It takes a high level of concentration, and you do have to expect the unexpected from cagers (like unsignalled lane changes).

Is it dangerous? I don't think so; at least I think it's less dangerous than allowing myself to be boxed in by slow-moving cages. However, it's also kind of exhilarating, so the key is to not let my inner dumbass get the better of my judgment. blush.gif

Are there any other semi-lane splitters out there?

(Standing by, prepared for incoming. cool.gif)

This is sounding a lot like "but I didn't inhale" argument. tongue.gif Sounds like splitting to me. grin.gif Seriously, I do the same thing Mike and its very easy to fall right into full on splitting from there.

It doesn't feel dangerous, however it may be that I've grown comfortable with the practice and don't get those oh, S**t moments any longer...

I do that too when the situation warrants, just very carefully. After 20 years of legally splitting traffic in Califiornia I'll take anything I can get... grin.gif

Sometimes I will start splitting lanes out of habit until I remember that it's sort of frowned upon out here. Once you're used to splitting it seems so unnatural to just sit in stopped traffic.

ShovelStrokeEd

I do it all the time. Where it is illegal to lane share, I just wait for those small gaps to open up and then shoot into them. Since I try to maintain about a 5% positive speed differential with respect to traffic moving around me I kind of have to do it to keep my speed up.

One word of caution here. It is easy for this to be construed by a LEO as weaving through traffic, in particular if you are not using your indicators. I have been stopped a couple of times for doing it (no tickets but a stern lecture). If I have time to 'splain myself, I can usually get off.

It also promotes a different lane position, namely near the demarcation lines which tends to improve my chances if the cage in front of me does something for no apparant reason. I can see further in front from there and it helps to make my upcoming decisions a bit better based on more data. You are dead right about the increased level of awareness needed to to this right. It can get taxing.

Mike, many of us call that "lane filtering" out here.

Strangely enough, when I have time to eat lunch, I eat most lunches at a pizza joint called "Lane Splitter" in Berzerkeley near where I work.

http://www.lanesplitterpizza.com

Well, it's time to get the heck out of work and go split some cages and filter the rest to get home in time for bocce league. C-ya.

And here I thought the thread was going to be about splitting between two big rigs...

Are "aggressive lane changes" dangerous? I think the risk is greater than splitting two cars while they're opposite each other. What worries me is the possibility of the two cars merging together like scissors leaving me to get cut.

Shawnee Bill

I just live in Oklahoma where the traffic is rarely bad enough to make me want to consider lane splitting.

The price I pay is the 200 miles I have to ride to the first curve. crazy.gif

The little taste of it I got in LA sure was fun though. grin.gif

Are "aggressive lane changes" dangerous? I think the risk is greater than splitting two cars while they're opposite each other. What worries me is the possibility of the two cars merging together like scissors leaving me to get cut.

I don't think that they are necessarily dangerous as much as they could be rude to the cages around me. When I shuffle around in traffic, I always try to not cut in front of people too closely, or to make moves that indicate that I'm going to cut in. I think that it causes people to react unnecessarily and gives us a bad image in the public eye.

But that's just me..

Mike, many of us call that "lane filtering" out here.

Great. That sounds almost respectable. "No, officer. I wasn't weaving. I was filtering."

In fact, filtering is good for many things. We all drink filtered water. Filters remove industrial contaminants from factories. Filters keep the air in our homes clean and safe for babies and cute little puppies. thumbsup.gif

So, we're actually performing a public service by filtering all that nasty traffic. wink.gif

Sometimes I will start splitting lanes out of habit until I remember that it's sort of frowned upon out here.

I seem to remember a push being made out there to make lane-splitting legal. What's the word on that so far?

So, what I do is this--I "semi-lane split." It's much the same as California-style lane splitting, except that I don't split through the gap of cars that are parallel to one another. Rather, I position myself close to the lane divider and try to take advantage of small gaps that appear as one car edges past the one in its adjacent lane. It takes a high level of concentration, and you do have to expect the unexpected from cagers (like unsignalled lane changes).

Do the same thing myself. Cage drivers may not like it, but the ability to slip into a smaller space than a car can is one of the advantages of riding a motorcycle. Just give em warning by signalling and don't be reckless or rude and all should be good.

It's illegal to split lanes where I live. Here's my thumb rule for lane splitting. I split lanes only when traffic speed are <30mph. Over 30mph, I change lanes aggressively. I always look at the mirrors of the cars I share the lanes with to see where their drivers are looking. It's my belief that exceeding the 30mph limit puts the rider in grave danger because it exceeds the safe reaction time. My experience has been honed on the lawless streets of Bombay, India.

I've had people cut me off while lane-splitting because they are pissed sitting in city traffic or they feel like citizen police but it stopped me on only one occassion. There was this PA truck driver who didn't let me pass on a one-lane road and I didn't have the power to overtake. He ran me off into the grass more than once. I so wished I was on my R1.

Lastly, always have one finger on the brake while lane-splitting.

Archived