IGNORED

New R1200S - 600 mi Service Question

Michael Derby

Michael Derby

Hi Ya'll - Just picked up my R1200S this morning and put 200 miles on it today. Should but about 300 on tomorrow. I wrench my R1100 myself - I'm not a "GURU" by any means but I can do all the basic maintenence and throttle body sync etc.

My question is, I don't have a "Haynes" mannual for the hexhead or torque settings etc. Should I just bring this to the dealer for the 600mi service. Or should I do the service myself? What is everyone using for a mannual for the hexheads?

Would appreciate any thoughts. I really don't feel like bringing it to the dealer and waiting a bunch of days to get back, and pay the money etc. etc. But maybe that's the safest bet since it is the first service.

ShovelStrokeEd

Go ahead and do it yourself if you're up to it. Use common sense and experience for the torques and you will be fine. I don't know if the cylinder head retorqe is part of the hex head 600 mile thing or not but, so long as you keep records of what you have done, the checklist from an 1100 shouldn't be all that different, and keep receipts for the parts, you cannot have a waranty issue. They cannot force you to come to them for normal maintenance unless they provide it for free.

You won't be able to do an idle synch on the bike but can do the high speed synch thing. Sometimes, the dealer can make a differenc there as he does have the computer to hook up to "park" the idle air control motors. You could also do all the other work yourself and just arrange to bring it to the dealer for that part of the task, along with any software upgrades necessary.

The 600 mile is critical enough that it's the one regularly scheduled service that I'd have a dealer do.

I would highly recommend that your 600 be done by your dealer and don't worry about the mileage, ie 800 to 1000 is perfectly OK. Do the rest yourself and keep a good record in the back of yor manual, oil/filter changes mileage and date, valve adjusts, etc, etc.

The 600 mile service on the hexheads is really simple. Basically an oil and filter, retorque of the head fasteners and a valve adjustment. Checking of any error codes along with visual inspection of brakes, cables etc.

Easily done yourself BUT make sure you torque the heads first and then do the valve adjustment. Loosen each nut one at a time and tignten to 20 Nm plus 180 degrees. Also is a good idea to re-torque the other small bolts (10Nm)on the bottom of the cylinder into the cases along with the large torx fastener beside the cam chain on each head with a T-50 to 40 Nm (loosen first). If you don't understand how to angle torque a fastener, best leave it with the dealer. Flat rate on the 600 mile service is only 2.6 hrs or so.... not too involved.

Archived