IGNORED

Tire Changing Setup ?

Chugger

What should I budget for tire changing Equipment?

I'm looking for middle of the road Quality Equipment.

Would like to stay away from the junk.

Thanks Chugger

02 RT

bakerzdosen
What should I budget for tire changing Equipment?

I'm looking for middle of the road Quality Equipment.

Would like to stay away from the junk.

Thanks Chugger

02 RT

I was wondering the same thing, and found this.

Not a bad place to start.

Others may chime in here but if you are going to change a lot of tires each season, then you probably want some fairly good substantial stuff. If you are only changing a couple tires each season, you can do just fine with a milk crate and some tire irons, or go fancy with the HF stuff. The HF stuff goes on sale quite often for almost half price so keep any eye out for sales. Lots of guys don't balance tires just align the tire marks appropriately and go ride. Depends on how anal you are. Good luck.

Well I have the NoMar and love it. But i wouldn't exactly call it middle of the road. I talked about it here - NoMar Review

BTW Tom K. (and all you other mid-westerners!), be sure to give a call when your ready to do tires. My tire 'changing bay' is always open!

Thanks Ken. Recently got a HF changer and the MOJO bar so I am slowly becoming a tire changing whiz bang! Anyone who starts changing tires should also consider what to do with the old tire. I know some guys who put them in a plastic trash bag for regular pick up, some dump them off at a tire dealer, others do the ultimate no no, dump them in the country. For a couple of $ most tire stores, auto/truck, will take them and properly dispose of them.

After changing about a half dozen tires without much more than tire irons I broke down and bought a Coats 220 changer. It cost me about $600 about 3 years ago. I know, this is a bit steep and some may consider it excessive. However, when you consider what many of the other tools in your garage add up to it's not too bad.

Compared to what I would have paid to have a dealer change my tires (also then having to pay full retail for the tires themselves) it's paid for itself many times over already (we've got two bikes in the household and tend to go through at least 6 tires a season).

I'd condisder the Coats "middle of the road quality." It's not a hydraulic top of the line deal like a shop would own, but makes changing tires a breeze. And it will last forever.

I've seen the Harbour Freight units, but never used one. They're basically a cheap knock-off of better built changers. Sure they'll work, but you do get what you pay for.

Archived