IGNORED

Clear communication, new passenger, and a favorite ride

PhillyFlash

PhillyFlash

Sunday (the day before Memorial Day) started out clear and cool in the Arizona desert. Knowing that the days heat up quickly this time of year, I told a friend of mine (Christy) that we would start our ride at 7:30 am. This was her first motorcycle ride in many years, and I decided to head for the mountains (Payson; Strawberry) so that we could avoid the high heat for most of the day. She was a bit nervous, but wanted to give it a try. Before heading out, I gave her some instructions on how the bike handles, riding position, what to do going through curves, hand signals, etc., and off we went. We soon made it to the Bee Line Highway (AZ 87), one of my favorite roads (and the one in the picture to the left).

The Bee Line extends down to Mesa, but my favorite stretch starts at Fountain Hills and runs for 70 miles to Payson. It is a four lane divided highway, with two lanes heading mostly uphill on the northern route, and two lanes heading mostly downhill on the southern route. This road is a riders dream - high speed, wide open sweepers, with moderately tighter curves in a few places that require a little bit slower speed (but not much slower), good road surfaces, great scenery, light traffic, and not patrolled too heavily. The first section is low desert, with views of Saguaros, Ocotillos, and other desert plants, wide expanses, and the mountains up ahead that we'll be riding through. We were cruising along at about 70-75 mph on this section of straight road, and Christy said she was doing OK.

About 15 miles north of Fountain Hills, the curves begin. I started out a bit conservatively (for me, that is) trying not to go too much above the posted speed limit or to take curves at much of a lean angle. About 10 miles into the curves I slowed down to ask Christy how she felt. She said that on a scale of 1 to 10, she was feeling about an 8. Alright, that sounds good. I gradually picked up the speed a bit and started to lean more through the curves. At one point we hit 90 mph on a straightaway and she motioned for me to slow down. I kept it at about 75-80, which is much less than I usually ride on this section of road (posted speed limit is 65). We stopped about 48 miles north of Fountain Hills (after about 30 miles of curves) at a rest area. (Note: this section of road from about a mile before the rest area all the way through the town of Rye and a little beyond is often patrolled by the LEOs.) Christy had a smile on her face, but it was then that I learned that when she said she was at 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, she was actually referring to her FEAR level. I really felt terrible that I had misunderstood her. She was able to laugh a little about it, and although she didn't want to turn back, she was still nervous. I asked some questions as to what she was doing during the ride and what she didn't like about it. I found out that she was looking at the road right in front of her (or right along side of her) too much and not looking off into the distance, and that she was trying to lean too much with the bike. I talked to her about both of these, and she was ready to try again. I took it slower on the remaining ride to Payson (about 20 miles). We stopped again, and she said she felt more comfortable, and wanted to continue riding up 87 to Strawberry for breakfast (20 more miles). This section of road is only two lanes, with tighter curves and much slower speeds. You ride through pine forests with many vistas of the Mogollon Rim. We stopped at the Strawberry Lodge, a great place for breakfast and a rest. Christy was now enjoying the ride. She hated the high speed wide open sweepers, and the wide open expanses that you can often see at the top of a hill and as you're going down, due to the feeling that the world was just dropping away from her. But she liked the tighter slower speed curves.

We finished breakfast, and I asked if she wanted to head back down to Phoenix. She suggested that we continue to Cottonwood and Jerome, 60+ miles further from home. This was a good sign. We headed north on 87 for another 10 miles, then west on AZ 260 (General Crook Trail), and up into the high pine forests of Arizona. Not many big sweepers like on 87, but many nice series of various sized curves of varying speeds. No traffic. Colder temperatures. Beautiful scenery. I could feel Christy becoming more and more relaxed, and could rarely tell that she was behind me. Little by little, we would go a bit faster, and lean into the curves a little bit more, but never anything even approaching extreme. We stopped for gas at Camp Verde (AZ 260 and I-17), and Christy said that her fear factor was between 3 and 5, but mostly down at 3. She commented on different aspects of the ride, the smell of the pines, the changing temperatures, the changes in light on the red bluffs in the distance, the feeling of no confinement - the things that we don't always think about and sometimes take for granted, but are the reasons that we love riding.

We continued on 260 to US 89 south, and headed up the switchbacks to Jerome, the old mining town turned artist colony/tourist spot. And also a haven for riders, mostly Harleys but usually an assortment of others. The bar in the middle of town (you can't miss it) usually has a big crowd of bikers and live bands on weekends. This past Sunday was even more packed than usual, with a rockin band playing. It's always worth a stop. By now Christy was having a great time riding. Fear factor 0 to 3 for the most part. We continued down 89 towards Prescott, riding in the high country through tight curves and switchbacks (posted speed between 15 and 30), and through the high summer grazing lands. At Prescott I asked if she wanted to take the short route home by way of the interstate or the much longer way through Wickenburg and more curves. She chose the long way. Another good sign. Once past Prescott I broke free from the local traffic and was able to get lots of clear road ahead of me. This is really the last section of good twisties, and I wanted to put the RT through it's paces. Christy seemed to be ready. This section of 89 has miles and miles of S-curves; back and forth, back and forth, etc., as you start winding your way down from the mountain. I set a spirited pace through the curves (20-40 posted, much higher actual). We stopped at the top of Yarnell hill for a break, and there was no fear factor at all. We contined down Yarnell hill, into Wickenburg for dinner (Anita's Mexican restaurant, very good food), across 74 at high speed (she didn't even notice the 100 mph sections), and home to Scottsdale at 7:30 pm. 355 miles. 12 hours. And this was Christy's first "real" ride! Quite impressive, considering how the ride started.

I use to ride with a passenger quite a bit years ago, but not much lately. So what did I learn? Clear communication with your passenger is imperative! Listen to what they have to say, and be sure you understand how they feel. Keep giving suggestions to help them add to their enjoyment of the ride. Take frequent breaks (we stopped every hour to hour and 15 minutes so that she could stretch her legs, rest her butt, and talk about the good and bad points of the ride). Ride at the comfort level of your passenger (I had a great time going slower; I even saw more scenery). Let them decide how far to ride (I had planned on riding to Strawberry and back, a total of 180 miles; we doubled that, but it was always her choice).

This was a great ride and a great day. Best of all, someone new learned about and experienced the joys of riding, and I learned more about riding with a passenger. Now let's see, if we turn east at Payson, there's this 400 mile loop...

355 miles for a first real ride. I'd say she enjoyed herself. Let me get this straight you hit 100 mph a couple of times and she didn't notice?? I'm with Wurty, have you popped the question yet?? tongue.gif

long distance rider

I'm with the rest of the "guys"....she sounds like a keeper.

Mrs LDR has been riding behind me for 34 years now and has never asked me to take the long way home.....of course it might have something to do with the fact that I am not as sensitive as you....you know, the sit down, hold on and shut up pre ride briefing has a somewhat different conotation than your approach...just kidding...Mrs LDR would kill me if she knew the stories I tell here on the BBS....

Good rundown of your ride, like most of the west, I have ridden about all the roads you described....Arizona has some great roads...

Well done, Howard. I'm proud of you.

Can you come over here and help me overcome my fear of Bourbon? wink.gif

PhillyFlash

Hmm, I think we're talking long term therapy for this one. Better tell the family to ship a barrel to you. Typical treatment also involves ceegars. I may have to dedicate many years to this treatment.

Thanks Howard. I am planning a three day trip to Mendocino this weekend with my girlfriend. She hasn't been a passenger for more than a short jaunt or two, and I found your post very helpful. Even sent it to her!

Archived