IGNORED

2007 K1200GT sudden loss of fuel economy

Stir

My GT is suddenly getting poor gas mileage. I started out getting 44 mpg and it was all the way up to 50 mpg during Torrey. Last weekend, I went for a long ride and the mpg has dropped to 37. The tire pressure seems okay. My riding style has not changed. If anything, I am tamer as the bike isn't as novel as when I first got it. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer?

M

As with all the BC computer systems, are you relying on what the computer is telling you, or actually calculating what you are getting?

The computer often stick to a reading if they aren’t cycled is why I ask…

I am going based on the computer reading. i know what you mean by stick as it is an average. As the miles increase, the effect of each additional mile has less effect. That is what is so alarming is that I have not reset in 5000 miles so each mile should not be able to drop the mileage and yet over a weekend, it dropped 7 mpg.

I'll reset it and see what happens.

As with all the BC computer systems, are you relying on what the computer is telling you, or actually calculating what you are getting?

The computer often stick to a reading if they aren’t cycled is why I ask…

You will always get stellar mileage at altitude due to lean air and a leaner mixture. If you live at sea level, you have to run hotter gas for lower mileage.

Doesn't seem fair, huh?

Maybe you broke it in and wind it up more now (just kidding).

YMMV, literally.

I knew about the attitude. I was getting 50 in Torrey. But it was getting great mileage at sea level too. I run 91 octane in the bike. Maybe the gas is getting worse in California. Hum...

You will always get stellar mileage at altitude due to lean air and a leaner mixture. If you live at sea level, you have to run hotter gas for lower mileage.

Doesn't seem fair, huh?

YMMV, literally.

Doesn't seem fair, huh?

YMMV, literally.

So true.

Just returned from 6,000 mile trip.

At altitude and in cooler areas I got much better MPG than at home here in hot, low altitude area.

At times the difference was over 20%. dopeslap.gif

Sighhhh crazy.gifgrin.gif.

In my travels, I have found that mileage varies directly with ethanol %. With my R1150RT, the ethanol seems to not contribute to motation at all. If there is 10% ethanol, I get 10% fewer miles per tank. And I have done mucho traveling between NM and CA in the last couple of years, (Moved from Norcal to NM), and CA gas is terrible for mileage. I always got 40-45 MPG on the RT in CA......I get 48-50 here, at 5000 to 7000 ft elevation in NM. MPG drops sharply as soon as I put that CA formula swill in the tank. YMMV.......Good Luck!

Ken from Oz

??? 2007 K1200GT ??? You must have the first bike off the assembly line, even before the Europeans.

Sure it's a 2007 model?

Ken.

John Moylan

Doesn't seem fair, huh?

YMMV, literally.

So true.

Just returned from 6,000 mile trip.

At altitude and in cooler areas I got much better MPG than at home here in hot, low altitude area.

At times the difference was over 20%. dopeslap.gif

Sighhhh crazy.gifgrin.gif.

....makes you wonder why, if the ECU's are that smart, that they can't lean off the mixture itself all the time and keep the mpg.............

It is a 2006. The dealer said 2007 and that stuck in my head.

??? 2007 K1200GT ??? You must have the first bike off the assembly line, even before the Europeans.

Sure it's a 2007 model?

Ken.

I have solved the issue of the fuel economy problem! Yeah, it was me. I just got used to riding it like I stole it. Turns out if I ride it like I drive my car, it gets a bit over 50. LOL. It wasn't until I made myself stay conservative, did I realize just how often the urge to open that baby up was hitting me. Before realizing just how zippy I was being, it had dropped to 37 mpg.

My old KRS got 41 if I was easy and 39 if I was hitting it. Just did not think that a change in my riding style would consume that much fuel.

My GT is suddenly getting poor gas mileage. I started out getting 44 mpg and it was all the way up to 50 mpg during Torrey. Last weekend, I went for a long ride and the mpg has dropped to 37. The tire pressure seems okay. My riding style has not changed. If anything, I am tamer as the bike isn't as novel as when I first got it. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer?

M

dopeslap.gif (sigh)... I broke it in and was winding it up more.

Archived