IGNORED

Marsee tankbag on an 1150RT

CharlieAllnut

CharlieAllnut

I have a Marsee tankbag that I have recently had converted by Marsee from a magnetic base to a "quick release" system. What I'm wondering is whether the edging around the base pad or the web straps themselves will scratch or mar the RT's finish. Think I should pad them with something? Anyone had experience with one of these bags? Thanks.

I have a Marsee tankbag that I have recently had converted by Marsee from a magnetic base to a "quick release" system. What I'm wondering is whether the edging around the base pad or the web straps themselves will scratch or mar the RT's finish. Think I should pad them with something? Anyone had experience with one of these bags? Thanks.
I used a Marsee 20L Teardrop with the 4-point quick release system for two years on my 1150RT, and I never saw a scratch on the tank from it. I traded in that RT a few weeks ago with no scratches and promptly transferred the tank bag over to my new GS. I wouldn't think twice about the bottom of that quick release "pad". However, it is a good idea to keep the area underneath it clean so no grit or rocks get in between it, because that could cause scratching. A member around here, Jeff Dean (haven't seen him around in a long time), had a great idea that he would always put a small towel in between his tank bag pads and the bike for the reason of keeping it from scratching the tank, and, then he always had a towel if he ever needed one while riding. Here's the site page where he talked of the "safety towel":

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/tankbag.htm

I use the Marsee as well. I put a piece of shelf liner between the pad and the tank when I strap on the base. It's that rubberized-net-looking-stuff. soft, non-slip.

B0000YUT4I.01-A3DRKN6SKDIOQJ._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1076125102_.jpg

Seems to work for me.

Archived