IGNORED

Whip's long day...

Bob Palin

Whip pulled into my driveway at 4am last night after riding straight through from San Antonio, not surprisingly he is passed out right now after brunch at the Capitol Reef this morning. He took some pictures along the way:

The main features of the day were speed and heat - 100 at 100

100100.jpg

As it got hotter though he seemed to droop

10680.jpg

10660.jpg

he said it was over 100F for 5 straight hours, oh please please let it rain, it didn't

letitrain.jpg

800 miles at 8pm

800miles.jpg

brrr, should have packed the electrics

84cool.jpg

Capitol Reef by night

cr_night.jpg

Finally there - 1305 miles

arrival.jpg

He rode all that way on new IRC tyres - IRC! Didn't even know they made street tyres and Whip wishes they didn't. Emailed back and forward with SouthwestMoto Tires this morning and they are overnighting a set of Pilot Roads using Whip's FedEx account, should be here before noon tomorrow - SWMoto are the best!

We are planning another 3000 miles in the next 10 days then he'll ride home again...

Nice of you to download his photos and post a ride report for him while he's conked out, Bob! grin.gif

Riding in that heat is MISERABLE, I can't believe he did it in one push.

I am really looking forward to seeing you guys in Jackson, just PM'd you about it. It should be in the low 80's for highs while you're there! thumbsup.gif We'll have to haul Whip down to the Snake River Brew Pub to rehydrate him after his marathon.

I totally agree, SWMoto are the BEST, I use them exclusively for tires for all five of my bikes.

Here, this ought to cool you off a little; it's on the ride plan for Monday:

83686340-M.jpg

33892888-M.jpg

Doug

We'll have to haul Whip down to the Snake River Brew Pub to rehydrate him after his marathon.

Might I suggest the Stage Coach in Wilson? On a Sunday?thumbsup.gif

BTW, STOP POSTING PICS OF JACKSON....some more. crazy.gif Gads I miss that place.

OK Doug.......Where is this paradise?

79090706-M.jpg

Gorgeous country, huh?

34972901-M.jpg

Grand Teton National Park, my back yard. The Stage Coach is great, too. And Mangy Moose, Merry Piglets, Cowboy Bar (usu. overrun by Harley posers this time of year though), Anthony's.......

I'm gonna ride the boyz up through GTNP via Moran, back through the park, Jenny Lake Loop, then Moose-Wilson Road, past JH Ski area at Teton Village, then to Wilson. From there it's over Teton Pass to Victor, Idaho (and maybe up to Grand Targhee Ski Resort, west side of the Tetons):

34972908-M.jpg

From Victor we'll cross Pine Creek Pass to the Swan Valley, then re-enter Wyoming at Alpine and cruise the Snake River Canyon. Gotta stop at Lunch Counter Rapids/Big Kahuna and watch the rafters and kayakers go by! Then it's back to Jackson via Hoback Junction. The Boyz should like this, even that arrogant bastich Killer. grin.gif

This is just one tiny corner of Wyoming, and it's OK I guess. Sorry, Paul (Gel Stra), maybe I'll stick in a couple shots of the Wind Rivers, that'll be OK, won't it?

81627358-M.jpg

With binoculars you can see my house from here:

81627348-M.jpg

With a telescope you can see my house from here:

83664167-M.jpg

grin.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gif

It's a gorgeous place and I love living here. Sometimes it looks like this, though and it's not so good:

51022501-M.jpg

I still love it, that just means there'll be good skiing!

Doug

Wake him up. There is still time to go get in a Bun Burner Gold.

I think he prolly burned his buns off on that ride.... No Buns, No Glory.

DG

I'll be riding with you guys, in spirit. Have a great time and see if you can get the whip to slow a bit and smell the flowers.

Be watching for a long and picturesque ride report. clap.gif

34972901-M.jpg

Look left and with the Hubble, you can make out the guest ranch I worked on 3 mi. south of Wilson, pop. 200.

Gads, what I wouldn't give to join that ride! dopeslap.gif

Might I suggest the Stage Coach in Wilson? On a Sunday?
Good locals hangout anytime. I remember going in there for 1 beer right after a multiday backpacking trip in the Teetons. I don't remember leaving... crazy.gif.
Might I suggest the Stage Coach in Wilson? On a Sunday?
Good locals hangout anytime. I remember going in there for 1 beer right after a multiday backpacking trip in the Teetons. I don't remember leaving... crazy.gif.

Lander is World Headquaters for the National Outdoor Leadership School, so we get loads of young outdoorsy granola types through town. They get loaded up and head out into the Wind Rivers for a 20 day pack trip, eating couscous, granola, rice, beans, etc. and swilling copious amounts of straight water with maybe some Gatorade or lemonade. NOLS does a great job of helping them feed themselves with a well-rounded diet on these extended trips. It's pretty funny to catch a group fresh out of the woods down at the Gannet Grill/Lander Bar - even the most devout holistic, alcohol-free vegetarian is munching a huge beef burger and swilling beer like it's going out of style! grin.gif

Funny what 20 days of burning more calories than you take in will make a person do, ain't it??

I've made this offer many times - anyone who wants a guided tour of Wyoming just has to ask, I'm always ready to take another ride through this gorgeous country! C'mon down!

Doug

I had a great time and a long day....and it sure felt good when I pulled into Bob's driveway.....I have a new found respect for those Iron Butt Riders that can do that for several days in a row......

Don't buy IRC tires for your FJR...unless you have a death wish..

Whip

I'm gonna ride the boyz up through GTNP via Moran, back through the park, Jenny Lake Loop, then Moose-Wilson Road, past JH Ski area at Teton Village, then to Wilson. From there it's over Teton Pass to Victor, Idaho (and maybe up to Grand Targhee Ski Resort, west side of the Tetons):

[ . . . ]

From Victor we'll cross Pine Creek Pass to the Swan Valley, then re-enter Wyoming at Alpine and cruise the Snake River Canyon. Gotta stop at Lunch Counter Rapids/Big Kahuna and watch the rafters and kayakers go by! Then it's back to Jackson via Hoback Junction. The Boyz should like this, even that arrogant bastich Killer. grin.gif

Okay, you now officially SUCK!!!! grin.gif

I'm really feeling a need to "Return to Cody" one of these days! dopeslap.gif

We are planning another 3000 miles in the next 10 days then he'll ride home again...

Will the Whip and Killer show be in Torrey on Aug 12/13?? Or nearby?? I'll be there with a small hooligan krew and would love to lunch/ride with you both.

Larry, you'd better check your pockets and your wallet. Bob admits that his employment situation is sketchy. If he'll empty your digital camera while you're asleep, who knows what else he'd help himself to? blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif Good thing you put those death trap tires on the FJR, he might have made off with that too.

[J/K grin.gif]

P.S. I don't envy the tour your about to go on with Doug. Nope, not one bit. Everyone knows Wyoming's state slogan is "Why go there?" wink.gif

I'm really feeling a need to "Return to Cody" one of these days! dopeslap.gif

Ya mean this hell hole?

47551165-M.jpg

47551167-M.jpg

47551175-M.jpg

C'mon down, Jamie! And bring your lovely wife if she can break away from babysitting this website for a few days! Thanks, Les!

On my way to see Whip and Killer et al in Jackson I'm going to ride the GS over Union Pass and camp the night at Green River Lakes. It's probably the prettiest place in Wyoming, a Forest Circus campground sitting at the end of a dirt road right on the Bridger-Teton Wilderness boundary. It's stunning, I'll post a shot of it when we get back, that should answer your question, "Why go there?". grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Most people's impression of Wyoming is formed from travelling Interstate 80 across the southern edge of the State. That highway tops my personal list for "stay away" roads, it was purposefully put in the straightest, flattest most boring location so that traffic can blaze through the State as quickly as possible. I-80 has the highest tractor-trailer rig traffic of any highway in the Federal system. I guess that has it's positive side, it keeps a lot of people from clogging up the roads in the rest of the state!

The Palisades in the Absaroka mountains, above Brooks Lake, Togwotee Pass between Dubois and Jackson Hole:

73998726-M.jpg

Can you tell I'm bored at work and ready to go for a ride? tongue.gif

Doug

All in favor of dragging Doug behind one of Wyoming's finest road crew trucks until he agrees to stop torturing the rest of us with pictures of places WAY prettier than our current location, say "Road Rash!" BTW, he can't wear his Stitch at the time. NoGATT

All in favor of dragging Doug behind one of Wyoming's finest road crew trucks until he agrees to stop torturing the rest of us with pictures of places WAY prettier than our current location, say "Road Rash!" BTW, he can't wear his Stitch at the time. NoGATT

Well just c'mon down and see it for yourself! Better hurry though, Winter starts in about three weeks. tongue.gif

Of course I'm high-grading the place, we have PLENTY of fugly places out here too. I don't take photos of those. I'll get Whip and Killer to snap a few shots of Rock Springs as they cruise through, that'll put some balance on this thread.

grin.gif

we have PLENTY of fugly places out here too.

True. On 80, once you come out of the Rockies, it's hard to believe they make pavement that goes THAT straight, THAT far! I swore that if I fell asleep at the wheel, 3 hours later, I'd still be in the same lane! Now I know in Texas, them's braggin' rights. eek.gif

Oh, and I HAVE been there. That's what's killing me! Never done the area on a motorcycle. I used to take little 60-80 mile rides on my road racing bicycle, but that was in another lifetime.

Oh, and I HAVE been there. That's what's killing me! Never done the area on a motorcycle. I used to take little 60-80 mile rides on my road racing bicycle, but that was in another lifetime.

You need to come back.

73998748-M.jpg

But it's not always perfect weather and gorgeous scenery out here, ya know!

72591852-M.jpg

That was borderline cruel, sorry. But seriously, this is WHY I live here.

Everything is a trade-off. For example, if I want to go out to eat tonight, there is actually only one place in this entire town that has consistently good food with a decent selection on the menu. If I want to fly somewhere I have to drive 300 miles to Salt Lake or 400 miles to Denver to get a decent fare. If I want some culture, just forget it altogether. If I want career opportunities, don't even waste your time thinking about it.

But if I want outdoor recreational opportunities, it's all right here just outside my door. Wyoming is a pretty tough place to make a living at times. Things are good now because oil is >$75 a barrel, natural gas and coal are very high, and there's an associated boom in almost all of the economy that serves the mineral industry. Wait 5 years and all that will be gone AGAIN.

I'll stop posting these photos now and go take some new ones! Have a great weekend!

Well just c'mon down and see it for yourself! Better hurry though, Winter starts in about three weeks.

I was wrong. Fresh snow on the Grand August 1, 2006.

85582974-L.jpg

The Boyz made it and we had fun! Maybe Killer will post some of his incriminating photos soon....

85582965-M.jpg

Four beautiful Silver Beemers and one Yamaha scooter. grin.gif I'm back at work, they should be in Glacier by now.

Richard, your secrets are safe with me.

Ride safe, you guys.

Doug

The Boyz made it and we had fun! Maybe Killer will post some of his incriminating photos soon....

85582965-M.jpg

Four beautiful Silver Beemers and one Yamaha scooter. grin.gif

Okay, that REALLY sucks! Richard and Chris too?? Aaaaaahhhhhhh!! eek.gif

I'm gonna go lay some more tile! bncry.gif

AdventurePoser

Well just c'mon down and see it for yourself! Better hurry though, Winter starts in about three weeks.

I was wrong. Fresh snow on the Grand August 1, 2006.

85582974-L.jpg

85582965-M.jpg

Four beautiful Silver Beemers and one Yamaha scooter. grin.gif I'm back at work, they should be in Glacier by now.

Richard, your secrets are safe with me.

Ride safe, you guys.

Doug

Doug,

I LOVE this pic! Just wanted you to know...

Steve

Doug,

I LOVE this pic! Just wanted you to know...

Steve

Thanks, Steve! I had it as my "wallpaper" on my computer for a while, but it was driving me crazy so I had to put up something different, Green River Lakes sans scooters:

85582918-M.jpg

Jamie, sorry about that. I'm sure you'll get much more pleasure out of your completed tile work than you ever would out of a ride through this country.

Just say that to yourself over and over and it will become Truth.

grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Seriously, come see us out here!

Doug

Archived