IGNORED

How's the R1200RT Radio/CD Player?

sfarson

Can one hear the audio at speed with a full face helmet on? Alternatively, are there options for taking the R1200RT Radio/CD audio and pumping it through some ear plugs?

Thanks much.

As standard I found the radio useless above 50 mph due to wind noise. I am 6'1 and have heard reports of shorter riders finding it to be much better. I have just changed the stock screen for a Z Technic V Stream and can now hear the radio/cd at higher speed levels as things are so much quieter. Can't comment on your earplug question as I run the radio through my Autocom and not directly. This set up works very well though.

As standard I found the radio useless above 50 mph due to wind noise. I am 6'1 and have heard reports of shorter riders finding it to be much better. I have just changed the stock screen for a Z Technic V Stream and can now hear the radio/cd at higher speed levels as things are so much quieter. Can't comment on your earplug question as I run the radio through my Autocom and not directly. This set up works very well though.

+1 thumbsup.gif

I wear an HJC Symax (flip face) helmet and I can still hear my radio at 90mph. Most of my riding is commuting so I'm not wearing ear plugs. The CD player is even louder than the radio and I don't have any issues with skipping.

I took off the CD player, a huge piece of electronics that weights maybe 1 kilogram.

Now I have a very useful box with keylock, waterproof, instead.

There I can carry all sort of items including a space to put my GPS when I leave the bike alone.

I use my new Palm as an mp3 player with good "ethymonic research" earplugs.

That was my best choice.

Humberto

Didn't you pay about £900 for that waterproof box?

In my country, the RT12 comes with most "optional" features included, so there is no way you can order a bike without them.

That´s why I had no mercy with the 1,000 dlls box.

I wear an HJC Symax (flip face) helmet and I can still hear my radio at 90mph. Most of my riding is commuting so I'm not wearing ear plugs. The CD player is even louder than the radio and I don't have any issues with skipping.

I wear a full face Arai helmet with a CeeBailey +3" screen, no earplugs and I can hear the radio just fine at highway speed. I do have issues with the CD skipping, but it is inconsistent and over all not too annoying. Once I get the iPod thing worked out I'll be a happy camper.

I'm 6'0", wear an HJC full-faced helmet, and I sometimes have to turn the radio (or CD) down while commuting because it's too loud. I've never had a problem of not being able to hear while commuting anywhere from an idle through 75 mph. This shouldn't be a problem for you.

Didn't you pay about £900 for that waterproof box?

In my country, the RT12 comes with most "optional" features included, so there is no way you can order a bike without them.

That´s why I had no mercy with the 1,000 dlls box.

Ugh, glad ( sorry! ) I didn't have the radio/cd forced on me!

Do not pay for the radio-CD. CD player skips frequently, and after a couple quick acceleration-brake, it goes off.

Hmm, I'd take that in for warranty, I haven't seen any RT radio cd players skip frequently or be problematic...

Excuse me, this is my first post here.

Though I am new to this forum, I am not new to BMW. My previous bikes have been both a C and a CLC. The CLC has a nice radio with some flaws. IT will shut down without notice suspected to be when the batery has drained down through nonuse or when used on accessory to long. Anyway, is the radio control head about the same as on the CLC? That radio did work very well at highway speeds and since I don't have a bike right now, I am torn between the 04 type and the new RT.

I wear a full face helmet and have to crack the shield open to hear the radio at speed. The CD player only skips at rpms below 3000, no problems with bumps in the road. If I had to do it over again, I would opt not to get the radio/cd player and go another route like a gps with XM, or the like.

With the changing of windscreen to Aeroflow; noise is cut down considerably. So enjoying music is just ok, sound is still muffled. Radio, seat, suspension is the fist things to change. No radio, no ESA suspension, would be my choice next time. ESA on R1200RT and K1200GT is the same, and now I have both to deal with. For my money again, Works / Ohlins and no radio.

Excuse me, this is my first post here.

Though I am new to this forum, I am not new to BMW. My previous bikes have been both a C and a CLC. The CLC has a nice radio with some flaws. IT will shut down without notice suspected to be when the batery has drained down through nonuse or when used on accessory to long. Anyway, is the radio control head about the same as on the CLC? That radio did work very well at highway speeds and since I don't have a bike right now, I am torn between the 04 type and the new RT.

Hi PlanzMan and welcome to the forum.

You can turn the RT radio on without the bike physically running, and yes it will power off after a while to prevent battery drainage. I believe it is the same system as what's been available in the CLC/LT. The buttons are the same as on the CLC, however they are just not located inbetween the handlebars like on the CLC. They are on the LH fairing piece just below the LH handlebar. However, the volume and seek button for easy reach is still located on the left handle handlebar. The radio itself is housed in the glovebox ( just under the RH handlebar ). Unlike the CLC, you can change CD's while riding becuase it isnt kept in the rh sidecase grin.gif

If you can go for it financially, choose the R1200RT. Lighter, faster, betterhandling, CD PLAYER!, etc....

However teh radio is close to a $1500 factory option, so many will agrue against it for that reason. If you have the $$$, do it, but if not, Satellite Radio or an Ipod will do just fine and cost much less.

Radio was a must on my purchase decision. Of course, I bought the 05 this year, and it was loaded and selling for just over invoice.

Either way, I am 5'9", stock shield (for now) and can hear the radio fine at all speeds. I immedieatly added Sirius sattelite, as radio is a pain when moving in and out of areas. The sattelite, of course, plays through the radio, and it is a blast to ride. I where a Nolan full face flip-up helmet.

As standard I found the radio useless above 50 mph due to wind noise. I am 6'1 and ...

+1 - I'm 6'-2" and it's better if the windscreen is all the way up, but I still can't hear it over 50 or so (arai quantum/f)

Archived