IGNORED

LED vs. halogen brake lights

Jimtrvl917

I am looking at finally upgrading my brake light and have seen LEDs such as Brake! by Gizmo Mill and the halogen brake light by Kisan (Tailblazer). Which is the better option? I do want to be seen on the road. cool.gif

DavidEBSmith

LED. Bright halogen bulbs take some time to heat up and get bright (and the brighter they are, the slower), LEDs come on almost instantaneously. If the LEDs are 1/2 second faster to come on, that's 22 feet of stopping distance at 30 mph.

I could be wrong, but from my understanding LED's used in lights are brighter when the plastic reflector is clear rather than coloured.

That's why they provide them in different colour LED's.

But you need to make sure your local legislation permits the use of clear lens for brake, tail or indicator depending on where you use your LED's

I beleive that is true to a point. If the brake light lens is clear and the actual bulb is red then that is OK from what I have been told. Same for turn signals. But I am sure some states have a stipulation for that also.

The BRAKE! Led system is top-notch. Super simple to install, you can determine the flashing interval time period and you'll never have to worry about a burnt out bulb in the rear again. Now if they would just get off their arses and get one out for my R12RT!!!!!

The first two after market products I buy when I have a new bike is HyperLites and SpeedBleeders. There is absolutely no doubt people see me better as they approach from the rear. It also gets the attention right away when I am riding with my buddies and I have to touch the brake a little or trail brake some. Hyper Lites are extremely easy to install as well. About 20-30 minutes your first time. Send me your email address and I will send you some pics.

LED. Bright halogen bulbs take some time to heat up and get bright (and the brighter they are, the slower), LEDs come on almost instantaneously. If the LEDs are 1/2 second faster to come on, that's 22 feet of stopping distance at 30 mph.

Good point!

Archived