IGNORED

R1100RT Gearbox Oil Change

bazg

I have just bought my first BMW, an R1100RT. I want to change the gearbox oil but don't know which panel/panels need to be removed to get at the drain and fill plugs. I didn't want to just start pulling panels off in hope that they are the right ones. Any help will be appreciated.

bazg

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome wave.gif

No panels need to come off.

The fill plug is located midway between the rear brake pedal and footppeg. It's an 8mm allen bolt.

Just below it recessed in towards the tranny you'll fund the drain plug. Just below trhe metal foot plate.

Most important you'll need to place foil at this point over the cat., so oil doesn't drain out and onto the cat. (it'll really stink) also you'll want to fasten some sort of extender tube to get the oil to drain out past the kick plug. This is a real pain but you'll use this tube on future oil changes.

Don't forget your fresh crush washers ooo.gif oh oh ooo.gif

You will want to warm the bike up as well to ease oil drainage tongue.gif

I assume you'll be changing the final drive fluid as well? and how about the motor oil blush.gif

This thread references R1150 gear box oil change, but other than the size of the crush washers, the procedures no different for either the R1100 or R1150.

This link includes a section with the standard maintenance schedule. You may want to perform either your 6K or 12K mile service, and your annual service, depending on the quality of your bike's service history.

This thread includes a whole lot of useful stuff, including a owner-generated "tune-up manual".

This link includes lots of helpful maintenance info, including information on removing the fairings.

Thanks Gordon for your comments, I think I was looking on the wrong side of the bike. I have already changed the motor oil and rear drive. It was only the gearbox that was giving me trouble.

Bazg

Some R1100RTs have no crush washers on the drain plug. My 98 is that way.

My 2000 R1100RT didn't have a crush washer on the drain, I thought someone forgot to put one on.

I installed one. Did I do wrong? eek.gif

My 2000 R1100RT didn't have a crush washer on the drain, I thought someone forgot to put one on.

I installed one. Did I do wrong? eek.gif

Mine was the same way, I installed one 15,000 mi ago, with NO PROBLEMS or leaks thumbsup.gif

DaveyMac

Archived