IGNORED

FD Rebuild?

GordonB

My FD is getting loose, what are the expected costs?

I'm guessing it's the 'crown bearing?'

It just started to show looseness, and is still operable.

If your crown bearing is actually so far gone that you can sense play then I wouldn't ride the bike any further than I would mind walking. But it's probably more likely that your swingarm bearings just need adjustment, which is a simple procedure. Are you certain that the play is actually in the FD itself and not where the FD mounts to the swingarm?

That's what I thought at first (and hoped for) since the FD Pivots were retorqued about 15,000 miles ago. But if I place my fingers between the FD housing and the rear brake rotor, that's where I feel the movement. frown.gif

duckbubbles

I don't know the costs of the separate bearings, but if you get the numbers off of them and go to a local bearing supply, the cost of them will be a fraction of what BMW wants. I learned this during a transmission rebuild and a suggestion of my local tech.

Frank

That's what I thought at first (and hoped for) since the FD Pivots were retorqued about 15,000 miles ago. But if I place my fingers between the FD housing and the rear brake rotor, that's where I feel the movement. frown.gif
Yikes. OK, but still not too grim, and lucky that you detected it so that you have a chance to repair at your convenience vs. ending up being stranded somewhere. Detected this early you can probably just replace the crown bearing and be back in great shape. I think the bearing itself goes for around $100 or so and the replacement isn't all that difficult, or you can have a BMW shop do it. Search this forum as there is a lot of recent info, and also there's a good tutorial (with pictures) on the Advrider site.
John Ranalletta

Mine was rebuilt by a BMW shop using 17 ball bearing

Parts:

$--6 O-ring

$-20 Shaft Seal

$134 Bearing

$-25 Roller Bearing

$-11 Shim

--------

$196 Total parts

$126 Labor (1.8 hours @ $70)

$--9 Shop supplies

$-13 Tax

-------

$344 Total

Frankly, I think it's worth $126 to have an experienced tech reassemble the unit and less than 2 hours doesn't seem at all exorbitant.

Parts:

$--6 O-ring

$-20 Shaft Seal

$134 Bearing

$-25 Roller Bearing

$-11 Shim

--------

$196 Total parts

$--9 Shop supplies

$-13 Tax

-------

$344 Total

I'm very suprised! I thought this was a very expensive problem. I guess this is just a crown bearing replacement, not a final drive failure.

I guess this is just a crown bearing replacement, not a final drive failure.
The vast majority of FD failures (in fact almost every one I've read about here) are as a result of crown bearing failure. In the common context 'FD failure' and 'crown bearing failure' are essentially the same thing.
Eckhard Grohe

John:

Would like to ask if you brought them the final drive or if they also removed it from the bike??

Thanks

John Ranalletta
John:

Would like to ask if you brought them the final drive or if they also removed it from the bike??

Thanks

Eckhard, I carried the FD in for repair as it had already been removed from my GS. That price doesn't not include removal/install which I guess would add an hour total.

Verdict:

FD Pivot Bearings replaced, FD Crown Bearing replaced (inner seal, the one to the outside of bike was leaking), all spilnes in good shape and lubed, pinion gear thingy in good shape.

Two hours labor plus parts. Bike runs great!

69,600miles.

And it wasn't yet blown....(I was still able to ride to the LD) .but it was on its way, inner seal was just begining to leak, crown bearing upon inspection was just starting to go.

Great timing I guess. thumbsup.gif

Nice catch!

For others, I've tried sourcing that bearing and it is a special order one (not at all a common size as ones used in trannys, etc.). BMW buys so many at a time you can actually can get them from BMW MUCH cheaper ($130.00) than bearing houses can buy them wholesale! dopeslap.gif

Mine was rebuilt by a BMW shop using 17 ball bearing

Parts:

$--6 O-ring

$-20 Shaft Seal

$134 Bearing

$-25 Roller Bearing

$-11 Shim

--------

$196 Total parts

$--9 Shop supplies

$-13 Tax

-------

$344 Total

Frankly, I think it's worth $126 to have an experienced tech reassemble the unit and less than 2 hours doesn't seem at all exorbitant.

I would have totally disagreed with you until "Dr. Phil" and I attempted a rebuild...now I completely agree with you...that is tricky stuff!

Archived