IGNORED

Boney rides with the ADVRiders. Picture Intensive

skinny_tom (aka boney)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I put up a post on ADVRider.com for locals to go for a 144 mile loop in the Mendocino National Forest. Last time I posted a shorter ride, I got 1 response total from 3 bulliten boards. This time 7 others decided to join. I guess they're milage slaves just like us. One of the guys from work who's been riding a KLR for a few months decided to join us too.

At 04:30 I left the house dressed in my warm weather stuff, with the rain liners in them for wind protection. I kept reminding myself that in a few hours the biting 55 degree chill would be something I wished for. I was right, but for now I was hunched over the F650GS with the heated grips turned all the way up.

Just as I topped over HWY 175, I stopped and grabbed this picture looking west toward Hopland.

MNF01.jpg

I made it to the gas station by the 06:30 meeting time, to find out that it's not a 76 station like Garmin says it is. The name is "Woody's" and it has been for many years. 100 miles under my wheels already. It must be time for coffee...

gas.jpg

We rode up to the Middle Creek Staging area to pick up the rest of the "truck and trailer" folks.

MNF02.jpg

I led them up the hill to the turn-off then got outta the way. These guys charge hard.

Luckily, they waited for me every once in a while...

MNF03.jpg

A couple of them charged into a corner too hot and slid out. They called it an "environmental impact study." No damage to bike or body.

Then a rut grabbed the front tire of "slydrite" and threw him around.

crash_rut.jpg

His front brake line was sheared at the banjo bolt from his bark bashers. He and his buddy decided to ride out on one of the "bail-out" routes we help them pick. He ended up boiling his rear brake fluid coming down the grade into Middle Creek, but they made it out safely anyway.

oh_snap.jpg

Highest water of the day:

water2.jpg

We rode over to Stonyford for gas. One of the KTM's had about a 90 mile range, and he was carrying a gallon for later use.

Back into the forest:

MNF04.jpg

The heavy rains did well for the vegetation and water levels in all the local lakes and rivers. By now most of the creeks had fallen to passable levels, but the heat is really drying out the roads.

Geoff:

dust.jpg

If you wait long enough the dust settles, but then everyone waits for you... A dilemma when you're trying to cover 144 miles of dirt and you've never been there before. Garmin, as "complete" as the maps are, is mostly wrong. The National Forest Map is some huge scale that shows little detail. We made a couple of U-turns and took roads in the general direction that we wanted to go. One of our roads turned into a "two-track" with 2-foot high grass between the tracks, then eventually one track. Maybe a deer path? We were 100 yards from the "main" road but a big loose, rocky, pocked hill stood in the way. It only claimed one victim, the KLR, and that was an off balance low speed top over.

usd.jpg

We dropped down on Lake Pillsbury for Ice Cream and gas. The KTM already had the extra gallon in it and the rider was getting nervous about fuel. The 200 mile range of the F650GS is attractive. The only bike with more range was the KLR, and it carrys something like 5.5 gallons.

MNF05.jpg

It was HOT!

hot.jpg

But there was still more riding to do!

harley.jpg

We wound up back at Middle Creek for a total of 180 miles, round-trip- mostly dirt. I put in the 100 highway miles to get back home and arrived at 20:30.

Great Tale... thumbsup.gif

Cool pix clap.gif

You can't see those places from the slab... wave.gif

I gotta get me a Dual purpose bike.... grin.gif (if I get it before Mrs Whip gets back I'll tell her it was here all the time..)

Whip

Firefight911

Tom,

WOW! That was awesome! Just went to Prairie City the other day for 60-70 miles of trail riding at the OHV. 1-1/2 gallons of water/gatorade later!

What an awesome tale. Thanks for sharing!! Makes me want to make the DRZ-400E street legal so I could enjoy along with ya!!!

Nice pics!! thumbsup.gif

Dennis Andress

Tom, I'm envious. That looks like a really good time.

Do we need a Dirty Ride Tales forum?

Do we need a Dirty Ride Tales forum?

I first the motion! clap.gif Mods?

I gotta get me a Dual purpose bike.... (if I get it before Mrs Whip gets back I'll tell her it was here all the time..)

Idea: If you haven't already gone back to PA to get the RT, go put a hitch on it and trailer a GS home with ya! "Huh, oh that bike? You mean you JUST noticed it?!"

Man that looks Awesome!! thumbsup.gif

Gotta try that sometime....u guys rule!!!

BTW...how did you do that thing with the thermometer pic...is that a photoshop thing...if you don't mind my asking?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

BTW...how did you do that thing with the thermometer pic...is that a photoshop thing...if you don't mind my asking?

I took a closeup of the thermometer then worked some photoshop magic.

I took a closeup of the thermometer then worked some photoshop magic.

very nice work clap.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I wanna go!!!!. I'd be okay on the range aspect and in fact could probably siphon gas out for the other fellas. Anybody ever try to fit knobbies on the RT? grin.gif

BeniciaRT_GT
I wanna go!!!!. I'd be okay on the range aspect and in fact could probably siphon gas out for the other fellas. Anybody ever try to fit knobbies on the RT? grin.gif

YOU,apparently don't need knobbies!!!

Great pics Tom, I wannna go next time!!! a KLR is calling my name!!!

(now lets see, carry the 4 and add the ... Oh never mind, that will be a while!!!)

That looks like Great Fun, TF - nice write-up, and the photos bring it home. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif But - 112degF?!?!? eek.gif What was the elevation where you guys were then? I know it gets hot up in NorCal, but I didn't know it gets HOT.

I gotta get me a Dual purpose bike.... grin.gif(if I get it before Mrs Whip gets back I'll tell her it was here all the time..)

Man, it is a bit scary how often - and for how many different things - that line WORKS!!! grin.gif I am guilty of using it for many situations...

[sweet Thing] "Where did THIS come from?"

[Tool] "What, that? Gee, I've had that for years, Babe!"

NOTE: I have YET to get away with using it for a motorcycle, tho; Kris doesn't miss things that big. I doubt Mrs Whip does, either; she must love you more than we think, dude! thumbsup.gif

Getting a Dual is a fine idea; I just wish I could think seriously about that kind of riding. But the First Time I ever needed to use a leg to help stay upright would probably be time for Life Flight or something... I'd probably never walk again! dopeslap.gif

Dennis Andress
Great pics Tom, I wannna go next time!!! a KLR is calling my name!!!

(now lets see, carry the 4 and add the ... Oh never mind, that will be a while!!!)

I know somebody in Utah who has a KLR that isn't running very well....

I HATE IT when you California people post gorgeous pics and threaten my image of traffic, smog, and gangs. My envy knows no bounds.

QUICK! Somebody post pictures of smog and graffitti!

Dennis Andress
I HATE IT when you California people post gorgeous pics and threaten my image of traffic, smog, and gangs. My envy knows no bounds.

QUICK! Somebody post pictures of smog and graffitti!

Look closely and you can see the gray tint of smog in this shot I took in Riverside this morning.

716978-smog.jpg

716978-smog.jpg.a51ea6262f06d1b48b5d5567c487eb9d.jpg

BeniciaRT_GT
But the First Time I ever needed to use a leg to help stay upright would probably be time for Life Flight or something... I'd probably never walk again! dopeslap.gif

I can give you some first hand advice on that one:

Do NOT have your leg too straight. In particular, never, ever do it on pavement!!!

knee_Smaller.JPG

(You may see more of that pic soon!!!) blush.gifgrin.gif

Archived