IGNORED

WA Insurance?

Amac

Just out of curiousity, I asked for some quotes for WA insurance this trip for my K1200R. The numbers that came back just about made me soil my underwear.

$2400

$2700

$3050

...do you K riders just pay this and accept it? Or is there some other scheme that you locals have worked out?

Not sure exactly what you mean by WA insurance but if by that you mean Washington State you do not need insurance there (not required), but of course if you are financing the bike then the lender may require it....

Insurance isn't required, but it seems as if it would be nice to have, especially given the # of uninsured/underinsured people out there and the liability issue.

The rates can increase dramatically if a company does not also have other insurance for you. I pay about $500/year, living in an urban area, for full coverage and small deductibles for an '05 R12RT through State Farm in Washington State. (And Washington assumes full year riding where rates in other states may assume some number of months of no riding during winter.)

Insurance isn't required, but it seems as if it would be nice to have, especially given the # of uninsured/underinsured people out there and the liability issue.
Your home state insurance doesn't cover you in WA?
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Your home state insurance doesn't cover you in WA?
He's going to move out here Bob. Hey amac, have you settled on a location? Certain communities rate higher prices. I guess I should add that I use Markel, aka Bikeline.
St0nkingByte

If you're moving to WA give Marty at South Sound BMW a call -> http://www.southsoundbmw.com/

My buddy insured his new K1200S through them and got a better deal than I'm getting from Progressive on my R1200RT! Which reminds me I should stop being lazy and make the switch to them for bike insurance.

Thats more than I pay for $500 deductible and max coverage on everything for: 04 BMW1150RT, 98 BMW R1200C, 00 Honda VFR800FI and my 05 KTM 450EXC. All plated and fully insured. Not exactly sure what your questions is, as someone else pointed out your insurance in Iowa should be good in all 50 states.

Thanks for the heads up...

My location will initially be Yakima, then Ballard - I'll keep a Ballard mailing address thanks to a mail forwarding company that I've found there (my boat lives in the ship channel).

I'll call south sound on Monday and see what they say.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
(my boat lives in the ship channel).
Hmmm, probably right by my office! I'm right next to the Fremont Bridge. smile.gif
I pay $400 a year for 300K/500K coverage with USAA, they cover my bike where ever I ride.

Is that liability only? I have my house and my car insured with USAA and they wanted to charge me close to a thousand dollars (comprehensive insurance) per year to add my motorcycle to the auto policy. (Clean license, over 30, yadda yadda...)

Archived