IGNORED

Why I approach intersections with great caution...

Roadwolf

Posted this on ST-Owners.com, thought I'd share here as well....

Unbelievable and amazing they did not hit anyone. Check out the SUV hitting the brakes.

Unbelievable and amazing they did not hit anyone. Check out the SUV hitting the brakes.

And the SOB kept right on going.....

There just isn't anything consistenly more dangerous than a damned intersection, nor is there anyplace else that'll get ya killed with such frightening regularity.

I think that's why I can drive for 16 hours on the backroads and byways of rural America and get off my bike still filled with vim and vigor (so long as the crusin hasn't had a lot of sunset or latenight miles involved!).

On the other hand....

traffic.jpg

Two hours in inner city traffic and I'm ready for a massage, a cardiac defibrillation, a stiff drink and a long nap! eek.gif

Two hours in inner city traffic and I'm ready for a massage, a cardiac defibrillation, a stiff drink and a long nap!

See, for me it's suburban traffic that casues trouble. Inner city traffic, like that found in downtown LA is mostly packed enough that nobody is late to a light. There may be 4-5 cars rolling through on the red, but blowing a light like in that video would take a lot of work at most hours of the day. And freeways like your picture shows are best of all: very little cross traffic.

See, for me it's suburban traffic that casues trouble. Inner city traffic, like that found in downtown LA is mostly packed enough that nobody is late to a light. There may be 4-5 cars rolling through on the red, but blowing a light like in that video would take a lot of work at most hours of the day. And freeways like your picture shows are best of all: very little cross traffic.

Gotta agree with ya. In the Sacto area, we have freeways with too many cars and not enough commuter lanes, but for the most part it is packed like sardines during commute hours and riders can lane share, so definitely makes for an easier ride. That is unless an auto takes it to mind that you are "cheating" and closes the gaps. It has become a me, me, me world now.

The local streets are another matter. Speed is of the essence here, or so think most of the cage drivers. Yellow means "haul ass" and courtesy is nothing short of not killing you. It seems a sad statement in general...we ride with constant vigilence. frown.gif

Two hours in inner city traffic and I'm ready for a massage, a cardiac defibrillation, a stiff drink and a long nap!

You got to be kidding........

I can't imagine having more people cut me off; try to share my lane; try to take my lane; tailgate; or generally abuse my rights as a motorist than when I'm on my bike in city traffic. (Toronto has almost 5,000,000 people in the GTA and no shortage of traffic-clogged roads and highways.)

The traffic-jammed inner city just makes drivers more impatient and aggressive. The suburbs are little better.

When I am in my full-sized van I hardly ever have anyone try to 'put theirselves in harm's way'.

Funny how our small size as a motorcyclists seems to cause others to push the boundaries more....... smile.gifsmile.gif

I'll take open backroads every day over city ones!

Wayne

Around here,red lights are treated as a "suggestion." eek.gif It's not unusual to see two,sometimes three,cars going through after my light's green. And they're on a delay,so you know thier light was red before they ever got to it! dopeslap.gif When I'm in the Silverado,I cut 'em no slack. I'm on the gas & horn at the same time,& I want them to think that I'll actually hit thier dumb ass. The look on thier face makes it worthwhile. grin.gif

Getting back to the video, am I the only one who has suspicions that the video is a bit of special effects editing? It just seems too perfect.

I think the video is legit. There is too much going on for that to be faked easily. In fact, if you slow it down, it looks like the guy did not escape unscathed. If you see him going behind the white car, what appears to be just missing it, it looks like he made a glancing blow ever so slightly. You can see the back end of the white car move to the left and up for just a second.

If this is staged or edited, they did a pretty good job (smoke, pedestrians stopping, looking)

I think the video is legit. There is too much going on for that to be faked easily. In fact, if you slow it down, it looks like the guy did not escape unscathed. If you see him going behind the white car, what appears to be just missing it, it looks like he made a glancing blow ever so slightly. You can see the back end of the white car move to the left and up for just a second.

Think your right, looks like the light runner just swiped along the back bumper of the white car. Still, that was some incredible luck on someone's part to thread the needle like that.

Now if a bike had done that....

If this is staged or edited, they did a pretty good job (smoke, pedestrians stopping, looking)

Add to the above that the red-light camera got thier picture, so at least they should get a ticket.

Andy

You got to be kidding...

Actually, no. It's in the suburbs where traffic density reaches that magic level where it's both crowded, fast and changing directions. I'll take rural or urban riding over that.

In LA there are more places I dread going on four wheels than on two. The reason is lane-splitting.

And the SOB kept right on going.....

That happened in the Vancouver suburb of Surrey BC, car theft capitol of Canada.

Damn......... a bunch of people just hit the lottery all at the same time.

What are the odds of that senario happening without someone getting killed. eek.gif

Or that the driver didn't panic when they realized they were in the middle of an intersection and hit the brakes..What a mess that would have made!!.

I found it amazing they just kept on going at the same speed once past the intersection. Must have been one great cell phone conversation. tongue.gif

AdventurePoser

So true...I hate it when the traffic is bumper to bumper, AND moving at 80 mph...not a good scenario on the motorcycle.

I've actually seen CHP insert themselves into this situation, not to issue cites, but to just weave and slow down traffic a bit.

Cheers,

Steve

Archived