IGNORED

How involved is it to replace the OEM antenna base on the RT?

Chugger

Had the bike shipped and the shipper damaged the antenna and base. I know the left side will need to be removed to get to the radio box. Not sure what else needs to come off to get to the Antenna base.

Thanks in advance

Chugger

Blu 02 RT

If the bike doesn't have the factory speakers, and you have small hands, it is possible to get to the retaining nut on the inside of the front faring that holds the antenna base in place. Also there is a grounding strap running to the frame.

Otherwise, especially if the speakers are in place, it's just about easier to remove the front faring to get to the nut.

It aint easy. I pulled my radio box and replaced it with the larger box from a R1100RT available from the Beemer Boneyard. That parts was easy. The 1100 box is a direct bolt in replacement and very handy to have. The hard parts was I also pulled my speakers and antenna at the same time. I used a black plug available from your local hardware store to fill in the hole left by the antenna.

This guy has some pretty good instruction that I was able to follow. But getting to the antenna and speakers was still a pain.

http://arch.home.texas.net/bmw/r1150rt.html

Yankee Dog

Chugger,

It's not difficult. However it is time consuming. My antenna base broke and I replaced it. I couldn't get to the antenna without removing the front fairing. That means all tupperware comes off, windshield, part of the dash, etc. You really don't have to be "super wrench" to do it.

Jack

Archived