IGNORED

Pros and cons

Urban Surfer

Urban Surfer

Which bike corners better, an RT or a GT? Whitch one cost more for maintanace? Which one will last longer? I think I might trade my RT, I like the smooth running engine with more power, but at what cost? confused.gif

JerryMather
Which bike corners better, an RT or a GT? Whitch one cost more for maintanace? Which one will last longer? I think I might trade my RT, I like the smooth running engine with more power, but at what cost? confused.gif

I think the RT may turn in alittle quicker than the GT and the GT may last longer but it may cost more for service than the RT.

Both are good bikes but the GT is alot smoother and faster than the RT.

I would guess that the new 1200 boxer engine will last longer than the new GTs engine.

An 1150 boxer will probably last even longer as it's so under stressed.

If you want smooth and long lasting then the old K1200GT is probably your best choice. Cheap maintenance and very reliable.

ShovelStrokeEd

No reason to suspect that there would be any longevity issues with the new GT motor. These days, just about any motor, with decent maintenance, will outlast the owner. Stress on the engine comes from application of throttle, not from specifications. It takes the same amount of HP to push either bike down the road at speed. It is only under acceleration that things can get different.

As to the handling thing, given equal tires, the handling comes down to weight, wheelbase, suspension geometry and rider skill. I'd be very surprised if there was much difference in the ultimate cornering speed of either bike. When most people talk about handling, they are really talking about turn in characteristics and how well mannered the bike is when heeled over to their personal comfort level. Also how tolerant the bike is of their, often improper, inputs with respect to handle bars, body position and the like.

I don't have much experience with the new bikes but have owned and ridden both an 1100RT and a K12RS and can state that, until you learn to ride it, the K12RS is a bit of a truck. After you learn to ride it, it is, for its shear mass, one of the lightest steering and most stable motorcycles you will ever ride. It suffers a bit in tight twisties due to the long wheelbase but, there is no bike I'd rather ride, except maybe my Blackbird, in high speed sweepers.

BeniciaRT_GT

What year are you thinking of?

The new GT "handles" much better than my RT.

Now, define "handles:"

To me, there are two parts that define most peoples idea of handling.

Steering feel/turn in: My new GT feels much more like a later generation sport bike than my RT (1100, so its old and I can't give my impression of a 1200RT) The RT felt like a very quick turning/sporty touring bike. The GT feels like a sport bike. Very little pressure on the bars initiates a steep lean angle. The RT took much more effort but was much more forgiving of an overzealous push!

Cornering clearance: no comparison between the two. I was always amazed at the clearance that big RT had but the GT has much more. I think it comes much closer to that theoretical limit of 45 degrees than the RT. Therefore many people would consider that "better handling."

Now a third, but unnoticed by many riders is the real handling i.e. suspension. After I put Ohlins on the RT (at 90,000 on the stock shocks! dopeslap.gifblush.gif) it handled much better (by my definition) obviously just changing worn out shocks made a difference, but even compared to the unwornout (yes, I invented that word just now) shocks it was improved. once dialed in they are much better on the roads. Once the suspensions are set properly, and good suspensions, on both bikes, then the turn in and clearance is the issue.

I think many people don't realize the bike dancing and wobbling around when heeled over is what makes them uncomfortable, because if the suspension is close to dialed in, it isn't something they actually feel, but their brain/body tells them something isn't right.

Does that make sense? In my vicodin induced "happy place" thumbsup.gifgrin.gifI'm not sure if it is gibberish, or makes sense!!!

Anyway, my take is the new K bikes "handle" much better!

(That sure was a long answer to get to a single statement!)

The GT is 50 lbs heavier than the RT, but claims an additional 40+ hp. The RT handles very well for a touring bike and I would expect that it turns in a bit easier than the GT. The GT will be more stable in the turn. The front suspension on the K bikes are different than the R's.

The RT will get some better gas mileage than the GT. For referance, my K12S gets in the low 40's, the GS is right around 50mpg.

Both are wonderful bikes, and about as different as they can be. If they didn't both have roundels on them, and the same handlebar switches, I wouldn't believe they were made by the same company.

FWIW, on the BMW website, the RT is shown with the LT in the touring bikes. The GT is w/ the ST in sport touring.

Ride them both. Either would make an excellant mount.

Archived