IGNORED

R1100RT plug choice

TracyPrier

Hi guys

The plugs on my 2000 1100RT need changing. The current ones are the dual anode Bosch plugs. Are these a good plug to run in the 1100 or are there better choices?... bear in mind before anyone mentions them that we don't get Autolite down this way.

Thanks in advance

Tracy

ShovelStrokeEd

I have had fine life/performance out of the OEM plugs and can see no reason to change. BMW may have some software issues and even some bearing selection issues but overall, their motor group has a pretty good handle on what it takes to make an engine run. They, the dealers, are somewhat proud of the plugs they have on their shelves and will only reluctantly part with them for a silly price. I understand the complexities of running a retail business and markup and all that but, they are expensive from a dealer. A local parts distrubutor or possibly the internet can source the plugs at a better price. I would stay with the OEM recommendations.

Bosch 4418s work as well, and are easier to get and half the cost at my local auto parts shop than OEM plugs at a BMW dealer.

2002,R1150RT..Always looking for something different to try, I started using Denso Irridum plugs (IK22)in my RT. After about 8,000 miles and one plug change, I couldn't be happier. I changed them only because I wanted to see how they looked and I observed little or no change in the electrode or plug in general. I had a bit of a pinging problem and these plugs along with an R-259 Techlusion unit and riding the bike as it was ment to be ridden, keeping the RPMs above 4100 when excelerating or cruising below 70 mph, the pinging went away. While I know that the techy box and riding style played a big part, I also believe that the Denso IK22s made a difference!! They are a bit spendy though, at about $11.00/each. cool.gif

Just changed my OEM style to NGK. Fuel mileage went up from 43 to 47 and it starts easier. Cold start crank went from 8 revolutions down to 5.

Just changed my OEM style to NGK. Fuel mileage went up from 43 to 47 and it starts easier. Cold start crank went from 8 revolutions down to 5.

So what NGK plug did you use? So far I've seen 3 plugs recommended for the 1100. I'm interested because NGK are plentiful AND not overpriced down this way.

Thanks

Tracy

The plugs were NGK BCPR7ET. My dealer was unaware of NGK plug for the bike. Then I gave them this #, and he said "wow, I'll order some". So he did and I bought them from him for $7.05 each. I have no idea if this is a good price or not. confused.gif

Tracy,

I stuck with Bosch but use the FR7DCX copper core single electrode plugs. I change them every other valve adjustment check. 7556 is the Bosch number and they are available almost anywhere for about $1.09 ea.

Mick

I tried switching to Bosch 4418's -- those are those 4-pronged plugs. Horrible performance! The engine bogged down when you gave it gas. Horrible surging in every gear except 5th. The bike couldn't get out of it's own way.

After a week of that, I just put in Autolite 3923's from AutoZone gapped to .30. What a difference! Instant power. I only rode around the block so I don't know if the surging went away but it sure sounds smoother.

John Montoya

I use Bosch 4417 plugs in my 99 R1100RT. I like the coloration much better and the bike runs much smoother than with stock plugs. Everything seems to work out better when you adjust the valves, install fresh plugs and sync all at the same time. thumbsup.gif

Archived