IGNORED

Connecting SP2820 to autocom

R4ND0M_AX3

Talked to Top Gear today. SP2820 to autocom is currently an audio out option only. I'm gonna experiment and try to construct my own cable.

I need a 4 pole 3.5mm jack on one side going through some ground loup isolators to two jacks on the other side (3 pole 3.5mm and a 2 pole 2.5mm).

I'll keep ya posted.

John Bentall

Page 40 (left hand side of page) of my 2820 manual mentions the Audio Jack option (under Customising the Audio heading).

Can you access this option and if so what version of the software are you running?

I'm running the audio thru the audio jack (3.5mm)and using the mic jack (2.5mm) to the mono side of the autocom. I have the mp3 working and bluetooth.

Good luck.

what version of the software are you running?
I don't have the unit yet. Should get it on Friday. I'm just trying to get everything ready for a trip I have coming up in August.

Gasget guy mount, TT lockable cradle, garmin MC cable, and SP2820 all ordered.

so far I only have the garmin cable.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. I made a cable and it works.

I used aux 2 on my Super Pro AVi. Aux 2 was the only jack that had stereo inputs and a mic output.

I started with a 3.5mm 4 pole connector common on video camera cables. Radio shack didn't carry just the connector so I bought a camera cable. Then I got seperate 3.5mm 3pole and 2.5mm 3 pole (this should have been a two pole but RS was out) jacks.

Drew myself a little diagram on some paper. Used a multimeter to figure out what went where on the camera cable. Cut, solder, repeat.

I hooked it up last night and went for a test ride. What shocked me was that I didn't build in any isolation and I don't have any noise issues. I wonder if the jacks on the side of the garmin are already isolated......

The only issue I have is the auto vollume reduction by 50% when I speak. This is fine for music but when you place a call through the BT interface it will momentarily reduce the other party's voice whenever you talk.

I'm going to open the autocom up and disable the volume cut feature and see how that goes.

• 1 month later...

Autocom NOW has a cable! Part # 999 I spoke with them today and they stated they will have them in stock in two weeks. It ties in with the headset connector and has a 2.5mm mono to the 2820.

We'll see?

I've got the cable - had it fitted at the UK factory - and it works absolutely fine. I don't use the cellphone much on the move but both times I was able to phone home easily. Please note that the music output from the 2820 MP3 player is mono with this cable but that does not bother me.

I have the cable also. The system works flawlessly. I wired the 2820 stereo out to the Autocom along with the 2820 cable. Phone connects instantly on bluetooth. No problems dialing in or receiving calls. It's a bit pricey but it works very well.

Stereo from the 2820 in the headphones and when the phone goes off hook, it's muted and replaced by the mono output from the phone.

Jim

I have the cable also. The system works flawlessly. I wired the 2820 stereo out to the Autocom along with the 2820 cable. Phone connects instantly on bluetooth. No problems dialing in or receiving calls. It's a bit pricey but it works very well.

Stereo from the 2820 in the headphones and when the phone goes off hook, it's muted and replaced by the mono output from the phone.

Jim

any pictures or internet links?

No but I'll take some if you like. Just give me about 18 hours to get the photos.

Anything specific you would like to see?

Kathryn Heigl?

Angelina J.? thumbsup.gif

No but I'll take some if you like. Just give me about 18 hours to get the photos.

Anything specific you would like to see?

an overall would be fine.

Got the pictures and they seem to be bigger than the allowed limit. If you don't mind, send me your email address and I will send them to you directly.

Jim

Archived