IGNORED

Asylum at Torrey - One View

Laney

My first trip to Torrey started at 5:30 am Thursday when I met Russell at the local 76 gas station. We headed north, me following Russell as he skillfully wound our way through early L.A. traffic.

Around 8, we were met in Mojave by not one, but TWO matching K12RSs. We expected Dick on his K12, but the bright yellow helmet announced Kris as the rider on the second K12. Nice bike, Kris! After all the big hugs, we headed off. It was funny for Russell and I to be the RT filling in the sandwich, with one KRS ahead and one behind our two RTs.

Later we met up with Gene on his 1150 R in Las Vegas, had lunch at the Iron Skillet, and rolled on. MUCH later, we rode through Zion National Park. I should have looked more, but for me it had been too many hours, degrees and miles, and I was SO worn from the ride and the heat. I’ll need to go back someday, I guess. Oh, before I forget -- just a warning here – don’t get in a tunnel behind Russell. He’ll turn on his “Big Bynum PIAA Collection.” He’s got the PIAA headlight, 1100s, and some 910s over the mirrors. It’s the kind of light setup that compels alien spaceships to land. If he turns them on while behind you, the glass in your mirrors will melt.

We eventually reached Mt. Carmel Junction, a tiny place on the edge of “nothing.” Really. Oh, sure, during the day it looks like there’s a road, and rocks, and hills beyond the town. But not after dark. When the sun was long gone, I walked to the edge of town. Everything stopped. It was BLACK. There was no more anything. If I’d walked into it, I expect I wouldn’t have been able to walk out. You’d never get to see my Torrey pictures. We stayed in a little place with a stream running behind it. What a change from Orange County, California.

Friday we followed Rt. 12 through to Torrey. It took all day, and was a wonderful, beautiful ride. Kris, who had detoured to Gleno’s after we finished lunch in Vegas the day before, caught up to us at a stop along the way. Later, we stopped at a lookout, and found Jim Moore with a friend -- Jim with his new GS, and his friend on a Harley.

During an afternoon gas stop on Rt. 12, I got stuck at the top of a hill that required riding down through gravel and stopping in squishy sandy looking stuff at the base to get out. I tried to force myself to go down the hill, but pictures of what would happen if I lost it and tried to hold the bike up with my weak leg kept me from going. I decided to wait there for a while, and see if I could do it when my heart slowed down, and my hands stopped shaking, so I told everyone else to go on. I walked down and looked at what was at the base of the hill, and it looked worse than it had from the top. My heart never did reach a normal speed, even after more than an hour. Finally, the long-legged guy driving the Coors truck rolled my RT down for me – in one piece. He didn't laugh at me or anything - those Utah people are incredibly nice. During all that time I'd had to sit there and ponder things, I'd decided to leave Torrey a day early, go directly home and sell my RT. I just couldn't figure out how I'd tell Kathy I couldn't meet her in Georgia next month! Later -- much later -- that evening, Denny (DTool), and Howard (PhillyFlash), convinced me to stick around and go on a ride with their group the next day. They promised NO gravel, and they delivered not only that, but some awesome scenery, fun roads, excellent company, and the opportunity to watch my speedometer needle boldly go where it has never gone before! I was wondering why my throttle cable was shorter out there in Torrey, I kept reaching the end, and there was no more left. I think I'll go buy an extended version on Tuesday. smile.gif I guess I'll keep the RT, at least for now.

Thanks Denny and Howard, you’re both especially wonderful – you have no idea how glad I am you talked me out of leaving, and how much fun Saturday was for me – even if you did make me late for dinner! tongue.gif

Oh, and Sock Monkey made a new friend. Bob. He came with BrianT and Meghan. I’m sure they know the story of Bob better than I do, so they’ll have to tell you. Bob and Socko had a great time riding and taking in the sights. They were definitely the most photographed pair of the weekend.

Saturday night’s dinner at Café Diablo was something beyond excellent. Sock Monkey especially enjoyed dessert – Drunken Monkey ice cream. I did not make that up. It really was the name. And it was really, really, GOOD.

After dinner, we sat around at the Chuckwagon where I learned to appreciate the Frantz family bourbon, and watch Russell REALLY appreciate the stuff. Russell got lots of grief for being a Cheap Bastard, and leaving Lisa home. I think everybody got lots of grief for something, except Sock Monkey, but all in good and warm-hearted way.

If you’ve never been to this area, there are so many reasons to go to Torrey if you can next time. It’s awesome. Really. The magical formations and colors are beyond belief. Seeing pictures of the area is just about like the difference between holding one leaf in your hand compared to having the whole tree in your yard – you get just a tiny fraction of the incredibleness from the pictures. The roads – they’re great, with occasional sections full of tar snakes to keep you WIDE awake, surrounded by views of things you’re unlikely to see anywhere else, and not very crowded.

And then there are the people. It’s really difficult for me to verbalize what it’s like to be there with all the other riders -- and who cares what they’re riding? Although you’ve just met 30 seconds earlier, you already know this one is another friend, and so is that one. Everyone is genuine, warm, friendly and wonderful, and full of riding talk. Heavy on the RT stuff, too. If laughing was illegal, I’m certain we’d have all been locked up, and the keys thrown away.

The ride home was fun, although a little too windy at times, and too warm at others. Russell led our group home until Vegas, but after traffic got thick and ugly, Eric (Luky) taught us a few new things about lane sharing with the RT. I think there was something in his lesson about fasting, prayer, rubbing Buddha’s belly for luck, and closing your eyes. Or was it not closing your eyes? I don’t know, but it got us all home a lot faster. I hope we didn’t look like a group of squids with luggage… blush.gif

Pictures come later, as soon as I find the door I need to open to get the film out that digital camera. Oh, wait a minute…

It was a unique and remarkable trip. Last February, Fernando told me “you HAVE to go to Torrey.” Now I know why. Sign me up for October, will ya?

russell_bynum

Great write-up, Laney. I can't wait for the pics.

Sorry about melting your mirrors in that tunnel...I guess I was more worn out than I thought...I rode into that dang thing and it was just SO dark. I checked to see if my 1100's were on...yep. Still dark. Try the 910's. That's a little better. Then I realized the sun visor on my Schuberth was still down. Oops. smile.gif

The RT can be nasty in the gravel. I've got a bit of an advantage since I have long legs and some dirt riding experience, but it's still hairy at times. Even Dick had "outriggers" taking the K12 through the gravel.

Whether you realize it or not, you really are kicking some serious booty on that thing. At one point on Saturday evening, I asked Tool how you were doing. He said something to the effect of "Well, she spanked me pretty hard, that's for sure."

"Its not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

-- Sir Edmund Hillary

Nice post, Laney. I really want to get to southern Utah one day. Each time a BMWRT.com group goes there, they post pictures and stories here that make me restless and cagey.

Kris- now on a K12rs? Something new here?

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles),

Little KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black Boxer RT for Everywhere Else, such as...

mayhem7.jpg

clic pic

Laney,

Great read!

Whenever I read about someone making good decisions it reinforces in my mind the value of riding your own ride. I'm proud of you for what you did on that hill. I need to hear that kind of thinking. Thanks! I've had my moments of "independance" too wink.gif

Now, Get your sorry ass to Georgia! wink.gif

Laney-

Great post. I can't tell you how bummed I am at not making it this year...so it'll have to be the fall version this year...again.

Last fall at Torrey, I experienced most of what you did at this, your first Torrey ride...the excitement of dirt riding on a RT (with Kris in Monument Valley) and the nighttime comaradie at the Chuckwagon and Diablo... but mostly it's the people. Do we have a great group or what?!?

We had a real busy day at the shop Saturday, and Cary and I mentioned a couple of times, "what are the guys doing at Torrey right now"...you know, that kind of wistfulness... but we had another good day here, and it seemed that our vicariousness wanderlust would have to suffice. I envy you all. It's such great riding at Torrey...if you haven't done it, plan to make it this fall. You won't regret it.

So, was everybody surprised that KK showed up on his new K12RS? I'm not. It's the bike he should've bought in the first place. But he won't have any trouble getting rid of the LT, if he REALLY wants to...

One thing that you didn't mention...what flavor of Tequila did D-Tool bring? And who among you helped save him from himself? Brant? (Probably). Possibly Brian and/or Meghan.

But, I digress...If any of you other folks want to have areally GREAT time, do the next Torrey. Who knows...Maybe Tom FastMoFo Roe will show up...

Bill

PhillyFlash

Laney,

Great post. I'm glad you decided to stick around for Saturday's ride. You may not like riding in the dirt, but you are hell-on-wheels on the asphalt. I was cruising through some of those curves at close to warp speed with the throttle wide open engine screeming giving it all it's worth, looked in my mirrors expecting to see Brian and Meghan making full use of both lanes, when who do I see but YOU, hanging right in behind me. The only thing that surprised me more was Dickie Frantz mysteriously popping in behind me earlier in the day, and then just as mysteriously disappearing (somehow I think he was warping in and out of our ride just to see what was going on). You really are a very good rider. Just keep riding your own ride, and don't give up the RT. And what do you mean "late for dinner?" We were back at the Chuckwagon exactly at 7:30 pm. You could have been at Cafe Diablo at 7:32 if you didn't stop to shower and change. Was that timing or what! Next time we ride together you lead, and I'll take it easy in the back.

russell_bynum

In reply to:

The only thing that surprised me more was Dickie Frantz mysteriously popping in behind me earlier in the day, and then just as mysteriously disappearing (somehow I think he was warping in and out of our ride just to see what was going on).

Ah yes...that was an old Jedi mind trick. These aren't the RT's you're looking for.... wink.gif

Dude, you were haulin' some big time booty. I passed Kris who was still getting used to his RS, and Denny who was probably stuck in 3nd gear or something (at 110mph) but I was only able to make about 2mph on the RT's and then only at the corner exits. And to think people were affraid to ride with us because we were "too fast". Sheesh.

In reply to:

Dude, you were haulin' some big time booty. I passed Kris who was still getting used to his RS, and Denny who was probably stuck in 3nd gear or something (at 110mph) but I was only able to make about 2mph on the RT's and then only at the corner exits. And to think people were affraid to ride with us because we were "too fast". Sheesh.

Ah, Young Skywalker, would you be admitting you couldn't catch the RT section of "Team PhillyFlash?" tongue.gif

Great pictures Eric! Especially dinner... I tried to watch the "ride" video, but got a message that the proper depcompression something couldn't be downloaded. Guess I need to decompress just a little more after Torrey, huh?

russell_bynum

In reply to:

Ah, Young Skywalker, would you be admitting you couldn't catch the RT section of "Team PhillyFlash?"

Of course not. A Jedi would never admit to such a thing. smile.gif I did say I was gaining on the RT's, but just not by much. tongue.gif

Which young Skywalker is Russell...Anakin or Luke? smile.gif

Great write up Laney. Wish I could have been there. I did at least get to do some fun stuff. Went to my friend's wedding. This was fine, except it started 20 minutes late, which meant I was out in the sun for longer than anticipated and I have sunburned shoulders now. Oh well. I also went and saw the new Star Wars flick...Very good! There is a scene with Anakin Skywalker riding a "futuristic RT" (that's what I call the little motorcycle-looking hoodinkeys they ride in the Star Wars flicks that fly through the air at great speeds!) through a pretty red rock canyon. I thought of y'all!

Maybe "CB" will take me next time!!! He says I have to tell everyone that the cost wasn't the big factor, it was the fact that he wanted to go hooning! I said well, the cheap part covers the money thing, and the bastard part covers the fact that you wanted to go hooning...without me! smile.gif

Actually, while I enjoy a good clip like the next gal, up too far over 100 and my helmet really starts to try to climb off my head. I don't have to look over Russell's shoulder to see how fast we're going, I just know!

Ah yes, but Kris, I hear you now own a rocket now! Allegedly you can go 130 in 4th gear on those things! Talk about a hoon-mobile!!! smile.gif

Alas, I feel I have been too hard on my honey... guilt plagues me (a little!) I hear you guys sufficiently gave him a hard time for me while he was there, so I guess I will let the "CB" title go. frown.gif (JK)

We'll go back to calling him...well, Dick what do I call him now...is he a Jedi yet!?

Or is he still Young Padowan Skywalker? (padowan = word used in new Star Wars movie to mean apprentice to a Jedi)

Love all you hoons! Glad you had fun out there, and stayed safe!

Lisa B

I find it interesting you see Skywalker's scooter as a "futuristic RT". The wife and I commented on the scooter during the movie that with the raked front end and the extended forks that it looks like a "Harley Wide Glide " cool.gif It was nice meeting you at Marin.

Good stuff here; thanks everyone. I'll have to get some photos posted ASAP.

Quote:

One thing that you didn't mention...what flavor of Tequila did D-Tool bring? And who among you helped save him from himself? Brant? (Probably). Possibly Brian and/or Meghan.

Well, Bill, this year I went with a little something that is very popular in Mexico:Cazadores Reposado

Yes, I had some help; I seem to remember Laney's hand wrapped around a shot glass once or twice, too.

I'm deeply sorry I didn't save any for the next time we meet, but there's a better-than-average chance I'll have some other gem for that occassion. The Corralejo Reposado went over well at Death Valley Daze in January. Huh... seems I didn't save you any of that either! tongue.gif

Tool

Laney, after seeing your love of gravel, I think I'll change our route through the Smokies and take in a couple of gravel logging rodes to keep your skills on point.

My dearest Friend,

You've now had the experience of Torrey. And, you've seen it was as I predicted it would be, but had no hope to relate its Truth. The Rider is not the road, nor the motorcycle, and even The Journey does no more than shape his or her external edges -- and The Friends can do no more than point to its Path. The Rider is in the Heart, and yours has proven Golden, and True.

I'm humble before you, for now you see.

Master Yoda

'Sounds like you had a good time, Laney. Thanks for the story, and thanks to the rest of you also, for your contributions.

Archived