IGNORED

6 bars normal in 100+ deg?

bwr

Over the weekend I was on my first exteded ride with ambient temperatures well over 100 degrees F. The bike's temp was pretty much locked in at 6 bars for the whole day. Is this typical? FWIW, I'm running 20/50 Castrol SynTech Blend, which is conventional, not synthetic, oil. If a synthetic will lower the engin temp I might switch.

DavidEBSmith

Is this typical?

Yes.

If a synthetic will lower the engin temp I might switch.

It probably won't. 5-6 bars is the normal range.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Over the weekend I was on my first exteded ride with ambient temperatures well over 100 degrees F. The bike's temp was pretty much locked in at 6 bars for the whole day. Is this typical? FWIW, I'm running 20/50 Castrol SynTech Blend, which is conventional, not synthetic, oil. If a synthetic will lower the engin temp I might switch.

High ambient temps, a highway cruise (75+ mph) typically parks my RID temp gauge at 6 bars. Everything's fine. thumbsup.gif

Not at all unusual to see six bars in air temps over 100F, nothing to worry about. A synthetic oil may hold up a bit better over longer oil change intervals if the bike is seeing a lot of these types of conditions but it won't affect the oil temperature itself in any significant way. And anyway there's not really any need to try to lower it as it won't hurt anything as long as the oil is of an appropriate weight and in good condition.

My 2000 RT seems to run hotter than some others, but 6 bars is pretty normal for my bike while moving through the Georgia heat. I'm running Mobil 1 20-50. Last tune up I went a bit loose on the valve adjustment with hopes of it running a bit cooler, but I haven't noticed any difference. I commute through heavy stop and go traffic every day and it goes above 6 bars regularly, but moving fast it's usually 5 or 6.

Mike

Ok, thanks for the confirmation folks. Up here I ride a lot more in sub-70 degree temps so hadn't experienced this behavior before. We're having our annual 2 weeks of hot summer just now tongue.gif

I have an rt-p, with fan cooled oil cooler. The fan doesn't come on till about eight bars. Six bars must be considered quite tolerable.

Regards, RT Fink

Rich06FJR1300

that's what i need now....can add the fan for what? 200 bucks? not sure if it would fit in there now (have the PIAA lights and mounting bracket in the way)

Jerry Johnston

At 100+ degrees my bike will be reading 7 bars unless I'm traveling under 70mph and over 35.

The fan mounts behind the cooler in the fairing. I don't think PIAA's would interfere. Beyond that I don't know what all is involved.

regards, RT Fink

The fan and housing pieces, screws and washers for an 1100RT run $323.00 from chicago BMW. Source your own on/off switch.

I have an rt-p, with fan cooled oil cooler. The fan doesn't come on till about eight bars. Six bars must be considered quite tolerable.

Regards, RT Fink

RLOL.. well, that answers one of my questions. I been in bumper to bumper traffic (where lanes were striped so close I couldn't split them) in Escondido last year, and I was just dying. I was sure my RTP was going to fry. I was constantly trying to get some movement in and around cars just to get air flow to the engine. The fan never went on, and I'm not sure if it was six, seven, or eight bars, but it was high enough on the RID that I was concerned. I thought that maybe my fan was disconnected or inoperative, but if it has to get that hot, maybe that explains it.

My eyes are so bad that I have problems counting the bars anyhow. grin.gif

Synthetic may not lower your running temperatures much but on my RT it completely prevented the thing overheating when sitting in traffic at 100F, given where you live I wouldn't bother.

Archived