IGNORED

Finally home from Torrey XI

steve404

The locust swarm should have been enough, but even after the eye stinging smoke, lightening hits a mile off to the side; I kept moving on to Torrey. As a dust storm developed big rigs were pulling over to the side of I-5 just north of Bakersfield, but I pushed on (there really was no comfortable place to pull over.)

I slept well on the side of the road above Panamint Valley near Death Valley that eve;

The next days 500 or so mile ride to Torrey was relaxed and enjoyable. Mingling at the Chuck Wagon Friday evening was great.

I stayed at the Capital Reef Resort a few miles out of Torrey because of the quite and beautiful red cliff to sky mornings I had made a habit of waking up to on these Torrey trips.

A half mile into Saturday morning, I pulled over to see why my front end was wiggling around. Last year at about the same time and place I had discovered that my front Wilbers shock was bleeding. On this trip the year before it was a Jack Rabbit caught up in the paralever. This time the problem was that there was only 9 lbs of air in the rear tire. Dyna-plug and Cyclepump to the rescue.

The tire plug was holding but the rubber looked thin, the many extra miles I had hoped for with the switch to 880’s from MZ’6 didn’t look likely. OK this will be a different kind of Torrey trip. A nice and easy Torrey. Benicia RT suggested keeping it under 80; I kept it under 85 and minimized engine braking. Kind of like a Harley ride. I did enjoy much of the scenery I had previously sped past.

At the end of a nice sightseeing day my cell phone beeped and flashed “emergency downloading” when I plugged it into the re-charger in my room in Torrey. I was a bit concerned (terrified) as I hadn’t backed up my contact numbers nor ever learned how to get voice mail on a different phone. Oh well, just won’t attempt any office stuff for a few days.

Riding on home Sunday, I found Nevada at 80mph wasn’t all that bad and I was getting a whole lot better fuel mileage. Coming out of Tonopah I noticed a smell. Somewhat familiar but I couldn’t put my finger on it. Trona. Yes the smell of Trona only a hundred or two miles away. T odor got a bit stronger and I thought maybe a car up ahead was the culprit. Soon it became obvious that the smell was from me. This sulfur/rubber smell is somewhat familiar. It smelled a bit like Phillyflash’s bike with an alternator belt going bad coming out of his snow ride earlier in the year just about where I now traveled on Hwy 95.

I get into Beatty. And with helmet and earplugs removed I can hear what sounds to be the whack/ whack of a shredding belt. As I have an extra belt and a 5mm hex wrench, I strip off the plastic and remove the alternator cover. The belt looks good as new and has a ¼ turn to tight tension. A good belt now is not good. I also discover that my credit card purchase now require me to go inside for authorization.

I move on to my sleeping spot west of Death Valley. About midnight the drizzle has become rain and the sleeping bag slushy. I know I won’t sleep, so I pack up and head home with my slick rear tire on roads that haven’t had rain for weeks.

2 am I pull into a Chevron station hoping that my last credit card will work.

But it doesn’t matter. I am stuck in fourth gear.

I coast into the station and set up my sleeping bag off to the side.

½ hour after I fall asleep the rain catches up.

I move onto this little porch overhang and make through the night.

No credit card

And I don’t want to use the cell phone because I am hoping that Verizon can save any of the data that had not been “emergency downloaded” I try the phone and get through to my son. My truck shows up in the afternoon. We drive it up the ramp in 4th.

I brought the bike to Ted Porter’s Beemer Shop between San Jose and Santa Cruz

At the busiest time of the year.

Diagnosis: toasted transmission probably started with bearing failure. Imminent spline and clutch failure. Unsafe rear tire.

After a few weeks of unsuccessful shopping for transmissions, I

bought a rebuilt “euro-sport RT gearbox” on e-bay for $1,000 (thanks to Boney for the link.) They put on everything including the new MZ-6 tires for some $1,700.

My bike is finally home from Torrey.

smile.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Yeah, but if you avoided the Mormon Crickets, then all is good! grin.gif

Glad you're home...amazed that it wasn't more expensive! smile.gif

WOW!!! If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any... Hope your next trip goes a little better. Do you want my rabbits foot????

PoPo

WOW!!! If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any... Hope your next trip goes a little better. Do you want my rabbits foot????

PoPo

On this trip the year before it was a Jack Rabbit caught up in the paralever.

Chris, I think he's got FOUR and it didn't help him any! eek.gifdopeslap.gif

Man, Steve--knock that shiite off! dopeslap.gif

I mean, it makes for a thilling read and one hell of a bench racing "lie" to be swapped over a cold one, but you really don't need to go to THAT much effort to outdo us! dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Glad you're okay and home safe. And just think Torrey XII is only 9 weeks away!! thumbsup.gif

I mean, it makes for a thilling read and one hell of a bench racing "lie" to be swapped over a cold one, but you really don't need to go to THAT much effort to outdo us!

*yawn*

I mean, come on. It doesn't sound like he even tried on this one. A failed BMW transmission?

It's tough to follow a night-time visit from a bike-cleaning crew composed of four-legged carnivores.

Archived