IGNORED

Start Up Sequence - R1200RT

Eureka

I'm curious.

My 12RT takes about 6 or 7 seconds to go through the computer start-up sequence. How do police officers deal with this delay. I would think sitting staring at the LCD screen waiting for the "Brake Failure" light to start flashing, to start and go after a violator would be very frustrating.

When I was having my battery "issues" at the Unrally, I decided to start my ST without waiting for the whole sequence, thinking this might conserve a little power. I didn't notice any problems at all.

I've heard--but cannot confirm--that not waiting for the entire boot-up sequence can toss things off a bit. Specifically, one of the rumors/facts/guesses that was related to me was that, at least on the ST, starting the engine before the sequence had completed could cause the accessory plugs to remain "hot" after the normal 90-second shutdown period. I can't confirm this, however.

By waiting, all systems are checked. Don't wait and if something is wrong you will not know. I wait in the am and ignore it during the rest of each day. No reason to not wait unless LEO is in a hurry/then no harm done.

Funny how much a creature of habit I am and totally unable to think outside the box sometimes..I've waited for it so many times now I can't imagine NOT doing it..I guess I think it would just blow up or never crank again..LOL dopeslap.gif

No reason to not wait . . . then no harm done.

That's good to know. From what you're saying, it's more of a systems check than a boot-up sequence. Now, I know that the next time I tangle with some gnarly biker dude in a dusty cafe, I'll be able to run to my ST, turn the key, and make a quick getaway before the rest of his crew can pull their knives. thumbsup.gif

James Clark
By waiting, all systems are checked. Don't wait and if something is wrong you will not know. I wait in the am and ignore it during the rest of each day. No reason to not wait unless LEO is in a hurry/then no harm done.

It might be an inoportune time for a LEO to discover that his servo pump has decide to take a vacation

Thanks for all the info! I have been under the impression that waiting for the startup sequence to finish was necessary in order for the ABS to function properly.

Any ideas as to the validity of that????

I just assumed an officer watching traffic would just have the key in the on position and the sequence already gone through. They can turn off their headlight/tailights.

I just assumed an officer watching traffic would just have the key in the on position and the sequence already gone through. They can turn off their headlight/tailights.

We can turn off our headlights too, but not the two small "parking" lights. Not sure about the tailight.

Archived