IGNORED

Changing The Oil On A K LT

NevadaNez

This sounds crazy but when my new 05 LT hit 3500 miles I wanted to do my own oil change on it. Being no stranger to this usually simplistic bit of maintanence on a motorcycle, I first peeruzed my bike looking for the drain plug and the filter housing. The drain plug was easy enough to spot, tucked up under the skid plate, but I couldn't find anything that looked like a standard filter housing to save my own arse. Little did I know at the time that BMW immerses the filter. So I hit the forums in search of a quick guide on changing the oil on an LT and lo and behold, while I found practically everything else, nowhere did I find info on performing this task--so I put together a step by step guide complete with pics and while it sure ain't rocket science, anyone and their brother can view it right here at this link.

I hope someone finds it useful-I sure would have!

Steve,

Great website thumbsup.gif

I too was midly surprised to learn of the sumbmerged oil filter concept! But, I guess the Germans must have some good reason for this!

I've also heard some talk about not using non-BMW brand filters becaust the paint might flake off and get into the oil system. Don't know if this is fact, urban legend, or BMW marketing propaganda to get you to buy their expensive filters.

DR

I've also heard some talk about not using non-BMW brand filters becaust the paint might flake off and get into the oil system.

This was supposed to be an issue with Fram filters and that "sure grip" coating they apply to the filters' bottom half. Unless you're nuts enough to use a Fram filter, there's probably nothing to worry about... grin.gif

Steve,

Great website thumbsup.gif

Thanks-I do it primarily for my friends and family but it's always nice to hear someone not related to you give you a positive comment on your effort!

Unless you're nuts enough to use a Fram filter, there's probably nothing to worry about... grin.gif

I recall reading about this issue in my initial search for info on how to do the oil change on the TeMiS and it was at that point I realized the filter was actually submerged in the oil. I had no experience at all with something like this and, rather than screw something up royally, or take off hundreds of parts I'd never remember how to put back on, I decided at that point to have my bro in law assist, since he's our resident "family mek a nik"

Also, because the bike's still under warranty, and I've heard plenty of horror stories about how BMW likes to blame the owner of the bike for mechanical failures, I wanted to make damned certain I did everything "by the book" with the parts and erl they gave me.

It turned out to be a real simple process but if you don't know the steps going in and you're mechanically inept or noobish, it can be a source of considerable angst, indeed! crazy.gif

I've also heard some talk about not using non-BMW brand filters becaust the paint might flake off and get into the oil system.

This was supposed to be an issue with Fram filters and that "sure grip" coating they apply to the filters' bottom half. Unless you're nuts enough to use a Fram filter, there's probably nothing to worry about... grin.gif

Just wondering if all those 100's of thousand of cars using Fram filters are dying by the side of the road even as we speak? ;D;D Urban legends live.

Just wondering if all those 100's of thousand of cars using Fram filters are dying by the side of the road even as we speak?

Well I don't know, do these cars have filters submerged in the oil sump? Do their engines constantly get revved to a high rpm like that of a motorcycle?

The cheapo cardboard construction (can't vouch for the filtering medium itself) of the filter endcaps says enough for me.

You can use non-BMW filters, but you need to be sure the filter is NOT PAINTED. Since the filter is bathed in the oil sump, a painted filter is not recommended. HiFlow makes an unpainted filter and I've been told these are the ones that are outsourced by Fram. Also, the unpainted Amsoil filter is also rumored to be one of the best. All are cheaper than the BMW filter and should be fine.

The LT gang has a pretty comprehensive group of do-it-yourselfers at www.bmwlt.com

I've gotten some really good info from the LT site and used to enjoy spending time there but some of the discussions simply focused on too much political and social issues for me. I still wander over occasionally but I come to motorcycle forums for motorcycle info. If I want politics and social issue commentary, I'll go to sites set up for that. The biggest attraction to me about this site is that political posts are not allowed, and I don't see avatars that incite visceral emotional responses, either.

Not badmouthing anyone, just kinda explaining why it is a refined and gentlemanly LT rider is hanging with all

these ruffians and n'erdowells on "race" bikes! grin.gif

And ya know....truth be told....I actually went to my Beemer dealer to drive home a new K GT but I made the fatal mistake of taking along the missus....one "sit" on that damned LT and it was all over but the papersigning--and the monthly payments, of course! That'll teach me to bring mama with me next time I go to buy a bike! dopeslap.gif

Paul Mihalka
And ya know....truth be told....I actually went to my Beemer dealer to drive home a new K GT but I made the fatal mistake of taking along the missus....one "sit" on that damned LT and it was all over but the papersigning--and the monthly payments, of course! That'll teach me to bring mama with me next time I go to buy a bike! dopeslap.gif
I see this all the time. I sell BMW bikes. When I see a couple walking in and looking at bikes, when they get to the LT I tell the guy: Don't let your lady sit on the bike until YOU know you want to buy it! grin.gif
I sell BMW bikes. When I see a couple walking in and looking at bikes, when they get to the LT I tell the guy: Don't let your lady sit on the bike until YOU know you want to buy it! grin.gif

Great. Where were ya when I needed ya, Paul??? crazy.gif

The immersed oil filter is not anything new.....they've done it on K-bikes for years.

Thanks for the info Pat, but I did check out BMWLT first, --that's where I learned that the filter was immersed and in a location not typical for an oil filter, but I couldn't find anything on where it was located on the 05 LT. crazy.gif

Sounds kinda stupid now, but at the time, while I "guessed" that it was most likely under that cap Plug%26Fltr%20Pic.jpg

I wasn't sure and I didn't want to remove the cap and then discover that I had just opened the cage where the squirrels were kept and let them all loose to run off and leave me with a broken bike! dopeslap.gif

I did the basic oil change guide here to make sure mechanical imbeciles like myself would have an instruction guide to do this task with. I mean c'mon--if ya can't change the oil on yer bike, what the heck? bncry.gif

Archived