IGNORED

Top of the Rockies Ride Tale (w/Pics)

Mike O

Ah...Paonia in July. Planning had long been in the works with the culmination being a 4-day weekend in the mountains amid vineyards, coal mines, and the wonderful back roads of the hills. We set off Thursday morning at 7 o'clock. They wanted to leave at 6a.m. but I refused. I asked "Do you mean that OTHER 6 o'clock in the day?". I settled on 7a.m. I am a morning person, but not THAT early to be on the road.

We took the quick way west on I-70 south towards Glenwood Springs, heading south towards Aspen but leaned a bit to much to the right around Carbondale and ended up south on CO133 over Mclure Pass...Ahh...a spot many will recognize.

81905227-M.jpg

As we reached Paonia, we were ALL alarmed by how many folks were already camped in the park. Thursdays are not generally busy, but we heard several riders made it from the BMWRA in Idaho in record time. Bikes quickly filled up the available parking the camping area was quickly filling up.

81906438-M.jpg

BMW's (and other brands were welcome as well) could be seen as far as the eye could see.

81906618-M.jpg

I also snapped this photo for Jamie and Les. Note the use of the side car to carry valuable refreshments. No need for an elaborte ammo chest or a two story mounting system!...This could be in your future, Jamie!

81906692-M.jpg

As always, Rodger (Signman) secured a spot for "Jack's Playground", only due to the popularity of this years rally we, were a few yards from our customary camping spot. Still, without Rodger roping off an area, we'd be scattered all over the park. THANKS RODGER!!! (again)

81905885-M.jpg

We had a SPECTACULAR turnout. And a social circle of Kermits quickly formed (someone trailered their new dirt bike along with some Kermit-impersonators, and a much used camp table - thanks Bob). And yes, that's Howard, on his return tour to Phoenix.

81906185-M.jpg

(ignore that Big Brown bottle in the middle of the table. It's an alternate fuel source, or so we were told!)

Dinner (as were most of the meals) could be secured from locals who lived in Paonia. Several of us opted for the $10 Steak dinner (ummmmmm.....gooooodddd). DrafterMike was smart enough to bring REAL utensils to cut the steak.

81906257-M.jpg

A shot of Jeff, Cathy and Mike...just chillin'. Cathy was making a new drink called "The Tiger Woods" (it's an "Arnold Palmer" with a kick of that alternative fuel!)

81906085-M.jpg

No they're NOT drinking iced teas...(Tod and Rodger).

81906152-M.jpg

Greg and Cathy Poole chatting with Mike. Note the really nice yellow hat on the table. Greg was awarded that for bringing the 'orange' bottle of alternative fuel everyone so liked.

81905784-M.jpg

And in between all this sociallizing, we did get some riding in. Several of us headed down towards Gunnison and I snapped a picture at a place we ALL recognize from Unrally a few weeks ago. Some of the mile high crew, near the top.

81905430-M.jpg

A few sweepers south and we were off to Montrose.

81905472-M.jpg

In Montrose, I stopped for fuel (the refined oil type) and almost had a head-on collision with this fellow, who was also wrestling for a fuel spot. It cost him all of about $3 to fill this up. It's an orginal 1965 Honda. It's a daily rider for him and it claims 200 MPG!

81905685-M.jpg

I invited him to our rally, but he said it was a bit far for a bike that wouldn't do much more than 45 MPH.

Yes, it was a LOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG day.

81905751-M.jpg

And much rest was needed before the annual softball game between us local beemers and the Paonia Fire Department. We were winning up to the 7th inning when the fire fighters pulled off a last minute score. 11-9.

81907028-M.jpg

And after that workout it was time to "Chat w/ Jack". Into the wee morning hours, we chatted, laughed, exchanged war stories, and criminal activities, but most important lost track of time. I told Ted Kerr that if you're watchin' your watch, you're not enjoying the moment. I can't begin to express how much fun it is to socialize with everyone. It's what makes my BMW summer!

81907090-M.jpg

Thanks for the great time again! (and see you next year)

81905944-M.jpg

"Top of the Rockies" 2006, I survived Jack's Playground

Regards,

Mike O

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I can see only the first one, but I check his pathways and they are correct. Try deleting all of your cookies and logging in again...that seems to fix most of the problems encountered here.

Edit: I refreshed and can see all of the photos now.

They're on the site, just not showing up here (yet). I had this problem last time...

The rest can be seen here.

Regards,

Mike O

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Damned SMUGMUG... They're on the site, just not showing up here. I had this problem last time..

Mike...it seems to be fine now...and great looking photos by the way! thumbsup.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I see that you conveniently forgot to show is this photo: grin.gifgrin.gif

74549546-M.jpg

And, I think that it was the unknown substance in the above photo that contributed to the photo below. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

81905751-M.jpg

Come on now Mike...you're amongst friends here...you can tell us the truth...we can handle it! wave.gif

Francois_Dumas

Wonderful report Mike, so nice to see such meetings !

Ah that Honda was my 'dream machine' at the time.. first and only 4-stroke moped on the market at the time.. but waaaaay over my holiday-work budget ! frown.gif

Say, I recognize that brown bottle of alternate fuel... (since I've travelled Austria for 35 years.. <grin>... over there it is ALSO used as fuel, but they call it 80 grade Stroh Rum..... I drank it pure once.. almost killed me there and then grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Nice pics Mike. It was great to finally meet all you hoons. Left Saturday night to squeeze off a few hundred miles, then bagged my first Saddle Sore 1K on Sunday to complete the trip. Green River, UT to Seattle in under 18 hours. 1,078 miles according to my odometer. Quite an accomplishment wearing a full Roadcrafter in 100+ degree temps.

The "High Point" of my trip. IndependencePass.jpg[/img]

Could have been "higher" if I had any more of that rocket fuel Al brought to the playground. Sure had a pretty blue flame!

Hope to get back to Paonia next year! thumbsup.gif

Hi Mike!

Great report and pictures of TOR. I'm sorry I missed it. Can't believe there was softball and riding and I missed it.

Maybe next year.

Glad you had a good time.

Take care, be well, and ride safely.

Heidi

Draftermike

82434118-L.jpg

You know what it's like to be siphoning gas and accidentally get a mouthful. Well that'll give you just a hint of the sensation of what just a tiny bit of this stuff is like. Expressions were priceless!

82434118-L.jpg

You know what it's like to be siphoning gas and accidentally get a mouthful. Well that'll give you just a hint of the sensation of what just a tiny bit of this stuff is like. Expressions were priceless!

Which "stuff" are you taking about? The handsome gray haired hunk on the bottle in front?

Draftermike

Well, I learn by watching TV. You know how it is, it ain't much of a picture if it's just the product with no sexy model type person included.

Draftermike
Well, I learn by watching TV. You know how it is, it ain't much of a picture if it's just the product with no sexy model type person included.

Not my first choice, but the Mercury Milan gal wasn't available.

Archived